Quinine tablets

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Pip

Quinine tablets

Post by Pip »

I want to pass on the info on quinine tablets that really work for me and have done for 5 years now. A neurologist friend first prescribed them to me to try and now my doctor prescribes them when I need. I am from the UK and told my Mother's doctor about them who told all his patients with RLS and they are all THRILLED. He also told a renowned neurologist on Harley st. in London who was amazed at the results too.
I am not a doctor; just passing on the info. If anyone else is taking Quinine I would love to hear from you.

jumpyowl

Quinine

Post by jumpyowl »

Hullo, Pip:

Your post is scarce of specifics (exactly what is it that you are taking and for what?) but I feel the urge to reply. At least you are not claiming that you found the cure for RLS :wink:

I am not a renowned physician on Harley Street but I am also amazed that quinine helps. This compound besides treating malaria has been used for frank leg cramps for ages such as for charley horses. I would not have thought that it is also helpful for RLS. :?

Can you give us some more details? Such an unexpected result should not be kept a secret. 8)

In my brief experience I was given hydrocodone for RLS. It does help with the pain but it's forte is not getting rid of the deep seated annoying sensation that is so characteristic to RLS. For that one I only use Topamax until my doctor makes up his mind what else besides hydrocodone to give me.

Please let us hear from you!
Jumpy Owl

Pip

quinine tablets

Post by Pip »

I am taking Quinine Sulfate 324 mg capsules when I need them. I take them for the creepy crawly feeling we all have. I do not have the twitching legs although my Father did so am keeping my fingers crossed. They really do help especially as we go for long car rides at times and I get RLS then and I just pop a pill and away go the symptoms.
As an aside, I am taking extra iron pills now as I am due for surgery next month and I am building up my blood. I thought that might help my symptoms but not at all. So different things work for different people I guess.
Hope this answers your questions.
Pip (I don't know how to use the emotion buttons!)

sardsy75

RE: Quinine

Post by sardsy75 »

Hi Pip

When I read your post I knew I'd read about Quinine somewhere in my research and went back to find it.

It is mentioned on the Sthn California RLS Support Group Treatment page http://www.rlshelp.org/rlsrx.htm . Click on the link "Quinine" in the table of contents.

You mentioned that you are going into surgery next month. There is an excellent information phamplet on this site called "Surgery & RLS: Special Considerations for the Surgical Team." You might like to forward it on to your doctor if you think it might assist with your surgery situation: http://beta.restlesslegs.org/pdf/surgery_and_RLS.pdf

Take care
Nadia
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

jumpyowl

Comment

Post by jumpyowl »

I thought it might have been quinine sulfate as it is the most commonly used form of quinine.

Thanks for the info. Nadia gave you some good heads ups, especially for surgery. Can you picture somebody restrained with RLS? :x

The use of emoticons is easy. While you type, put your cursor where you want the appropriate emoticon to be placed and click on the appropriate emoticon on the left side with your left button of your mouse. :o
Jumpy Owl

Pip

Quinine tablets

Post by Pip »

Nadine,
Thank you so much for the link to the surgery and RLS page. I will give it to my doctor especially as my surgery is a hip replacement and I know for the first 24 hrs I will be in bed with some sort of contraption between my legs to keep them still. Help - I get creepy crawly feelings just thinking of it!
Pip

sardsy75

Re: Quinine tablets

Post by sardsy75 »

Pip wrote:Nadine,
Thank you so much for the link to the surgery and RLS page. I will give it to my doctor especially as my surgery is a hip replacement and I know for the first 24 hrs I will be in bed with some sort of contraption between my legs to keep them still. Help - I get creepy crawly feelings just thinking of it!
Pip

Hi Pip

Check out Jill Gunzel's RLS Rebel page. She has a myriad of ideas and ways to counteract RLS when we're in tight situations.

http://members.cox.net/gunzel/rls.html

She has some fascinating yet great suggestions that do actually work! Also, slow breathing techniques, like those taught at Tai Chi; they often help relax your mind, then your body.

Best of luck with it all!

Nadia
28/Qld/Aust
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Quanine

Post by Guest »

Quanine is also found in "Tonic Water". If you want a cheaper way to get the drug Quanine, just buy some tonic water at the store. It has a low dosage, but enough that it might help in a cheaper manner.