Jumpy and others.... hot feet?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Sara

Jumpy and others.... hot feet?

Post by Sara »

Jumpy--

I noticed in the last post in the self-diagnosed thread, you mentioned "hot feet". Is this something that others have mentioned in the surveys???? I noticed a couple of people over at WeMove mentioned it, and that's the thing that my auntie said that she and my gramps BOTH had, but she was a little vague about whether or not she thought they really had RLS.

I do not recall ever having anything I'd call "hot feet" except after long hikes over granite mountains in New Hampshire (probably NOT RLS-related). However, the auntie who told me this is my dad's sister, and my dad still has "foot things" that I've not been able to pin down. I think that he has cold feet problems instead, but worth discussing, since it seems like sometimes it's semantics that hold us back from understanding the sensations we're describing. Also, the cousin I mentioned with a young daughter she said was having leg trouble in the evenings is from my paternal side.

Anyway, not sure if "hot feet" is something I ought to track down with Auntie or not. But I'm starting to wonder...

No one else has replied to the affirmative to my inquiries, by the way. So any possible familial connections are still a little vague in my case, Jumpy. Did my mom ever send you hers yet? They only have computer access a day a week or so.

Take good care, Jumpy -- and everyone else, too.

Sara

PS....Jan said something yesterday about "walking a mile in our shoes".... if someone really had RLS, wouldn't they probably do that EVERY night? :wink: I must do at least a half mile some nights! LOL Hugs!

jan3213

Walking a mile----

Post by jan3213 »

This is Jan

Good one, Sara!!!!!! Ha!!! I probably HAVE walked a mile many nights!!! Ha!!! In fact, I could have walked from my house to St. Louis!!!

I got a kick out of that one!!

Speaking of hot feet. I've mentioned that once or twice. I'm pretty sure I even mentioned that in my questionnaire. I get hot feet pretty often. I'm fairly certain I'm seen several other people mention the same thing. My feet feel so hot, even in the winter, I have to have them outside the blankets. Oddly enough, some people have cold feet. Interesting.

Hugs

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Sara

RE: "a mile" and hot feet

Post by Sara »

Couldn't resist the "mile" thing, Jan. :twisted:

And, you know what, you DID mention hot feet in your profile in the new members thread. I just went back and started re-reading them all AGAIN! The better I get to know members here, the more it's FINALLY sticking in my mind, who's who and has what. :D

(And BTW, Nadia, honey, if you read this... you ARE just a baby, aren't you?! :wink: But beyond your years in wisdom and gumption, of course!)

I'm almost certain, now that I think on it, that my mother has complained of hot feet, too. She's very verbal about things that bother her. I smiled when you said in the growing pains discussion that you couldn't sit still in church no matter how hard you tried. Mom said the same, and she said even as an adult that drove her nuts. Worse yet, we were always in the front pews because my folks sang every service. Hard to disguise wiggling around when you're in the front!!

Anyway, I remember leaving my feet out of bed, too, but I can't recall WHY. I don't think it was ever "hot feet", but I'll be aware of that from now on, just in case.

I also noticed when I re-read the bios that I think you were one of the people who talked about stiffness? Frankly, LOTS of people did. And that's interesting to me, too. I know (friend is a podiatrist) that I have osteo-arthritis in one foot from a specific repetitive use from construction, but I have all-over stiffness, too, that doesn't seem to follow any of the particular patterns for RA or OA.

Makes me feel like an old woman, sometimes, which is strange because I'm a relatively healthy and strong and pretty limber person for my age and fitness level. The stiffness 'works out' pretty quickly, still, but if I've sat in a single position for a while, I'll often get stiff in all my leg joints, hips and sometimes lower back. It's like I can't un-bend.

I haven't had my joints looked at yet, but I do need to get in for a full physical. (Just putting it off because I don't have a good GP, and I don't want to go to just any idiot who's going to peg me as a hypochondriac and be a total waste of my time and money.) I also have weird stiffness and pain in my hands and wrists, but that seems more likely to be osteo, use-related, because I do work hard. But my mother-in-law asked me about it one day when they were hurting at her house, and she said it didn't sound like arthritis to her-- where and how it hurt and was stiff (and she knows a lot about a lot of diseases, though she admitted she knows VERY little about RLS). Hmmmm...

Well, anyway, I'm halfway through re-reading those bios and highly recommend anyone else with "odd" symptoms rereading them, too. Something different might jump out at you like it did at me. (Need to add mine, also, I guess, don't I, so you can have MY weird symptoms to analyze and compare with! :D )

Gotta run. Take care, everybody!
Sara

jan3213

Stiffness

Post by jan3213 »

Sara, it's Jan again

Regarding stiffness--you know I just got back from a short trip and I know what you mean about having trouble "unbending" when you sit in a position for awhile. After driving for several hours, I literally feel like I'm 80 years old when I get out of the car. My body is so stiff and sore (actually, it hurts) and I sort of walk bent over for several minutes before I can walk normally. It's embarassing!!! I'm that way if I sit on the couch, or in a chair or sit on the floor, etc. AND, MY fingers and hands hurt, too. I don't do construction, but, in doing my art, I stretch the quilts onto the window frames, and, at first, I thought I was probably getting carpal tunnel syndrome again, but, now, I think it's related to RLS instead. It's the pitts!!!!! The more you read about others' symptoms, the more you realize little things you've been experiencing!! That's what's so great about this forum. I tend to just shrug some things off, but THIS FORUM makes you think and remember--and, as I said, put two and two together!! Thanks for starting this thread, Sara. You make me think!! Sometimes that hurts my head (thinking--ha!), but it's making me realize that things I've ignored are probably symptoms of RLS after all.

Jan

Sara

Stiffness

Post by Sara »

Jan--

Have been painting, and some of it has been cabinets which are already installed. So I've been on the floor a lot lately. We have soft-wood floors, so they aren't the comfiest things in the world (and I KNOW that's what a doc would say--- your floors are hard and you're no kid anymore--- very true), but trying to get up from there when I've been still for a while is soooo hard.

I don't feel pain or soreness thankfully, but it's like the joints just dont want to operate. And I don't feel like it's just being "out of shape". I just tested it :P and sat on the floor just now, for just a minute, and tried to get up. No problem-- and I'm having quite a bit of RLS this morning, so it's not like my legs and feet feel GREAT or anything-- I actually have RLS in my KNEES right now, unusual for me.

It seems to be the sustained position that gets me, and heck, that could be arthritis, too, causing it. But I was thinking as I was driving the kids to school. ... A group like this isn't always a "scientific" sample. We're all here because we have similar symptoms (although in quite a RANGE) and a similar attitude about them (wanting to share, learn, and alleviate them as much as possible.) I think a lot of us also have a heightened awareness of our bodies and our overall health. We have those things in common, which make us perhaps different from a lot of the population.

But our differences in age, lifestyle, medication/non-medication strategies, genetics, location, etc., are relatively diverse, so it DOES seem that if a bunch of us have very similar symptoms, that's well worth discussing and noting. To borrow from something someone said in their bio (gosh, can't recall... maybe Sole... wish I could remember), if some of these things aren't directly caused by RLS, they may be side effects or related conditions.

I think sometimes it can be negative to get into a "me, too" pattern, because I think sometimes you can over-focus and over-think every little twinge. (After all, I our floor IS hard and I AM no spring chicken! :P ) Some things we feel probably really are apropos to nothing (or not MUCH, anyway). But I DO think that there's VALUE in us connecting the dots a bit, thinking through things, being aware of symptoms that MIGHT be related--- it potentially gives a better perspective to this whole syndrome, and I think, too, that it could be good as we search through what helps and what doesn't to pay attention to "peripheral" symptoms as well as primary ones. If something, for example, calmed the creepy-crawlies AND happened to help the stiffness, that would be a doubly-good strategy, right?? :?:

Well, keep the information coming. I'll throw out one more weird observation here, just for what it's worth, since we're digressing anyway......

:?: :?: :?: Anyone notice that their RLS is worse when they sit in a low seat???

Right now, I'm having lots of RLS, and I'm on a stool, so that's contradicting my own premise... but NORMALLY, I've been thinking about it, and I MOST OFTEN have really troublesome RLS when I'm seated in the car, on the couch, in a low soft chair, have my feet up on the coffee table. Don't recall having RLS, for example, sitting at my in-law's dinner table in a taller wood chair (and I've been at that table LATE and tired!) Anyone else notice any pattern like this???

Of course, I might just be an odd-ball, because I still have less RLS laying down than sitting down. :wink:

Take good care, all--
Sara

jan3213

Stiffness

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Sara, it's Jan

You make a good point! I THINK what you're saying is recent activity may have caused some of my recent worsening of symptoms. Is that correct? You know how hard I've been working getting ready for the art fair. Doing that, I've been in awkard positions for a sustained period of time, on concrete floors for months. However, I have been noticing a progression of the pain, albeit slowly, before that. I think the work I've been doing has probably made the progression of the pain appear more rapidly because, even last fall, I could work and work and never had any pain at all. I hope that made sense. I'm not too sure it did to me. Ha! And, I DO notice I have more trouble in lower seats (e.g., car seats). And, my awareness of my own body has heightened to the point that I almost am beginning to feel like a hypochrondiac (which I have NEVER been before--I've laughed about it, but I rarely went to the doc--MAYBE once a year (you know what for) ha!). I guess I'm just looking for answers. Gosh!! It's a fine line we walk, isn't it? You don't want to seem like a hypo, yet you want to get answers!!! In any case, I'm glad you brought it all up, Sara, and I like your posts, no matter what you say--you still make me think and I like that!!!

Hugs!!!

Jan