Hello everyone. I am new to this site and have RLS too

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Dianne

Hello everyone. I am new to this site and have RLS too

Post by Dianne »

My name is Dianne, I am 44 yo. I've had what I called Restless legs since I was in my 20's. I only recently due to the Requip commercials realized that I am not alone! I never discussed it with my doctor. I know lack of sleep and being tired is the trigger and didn't think my doctor needed to know I was not getting enough sleep because I was out all night or up late. What brings on my RLS is being very tired. It doesn't matter if it was lack or sleep or just plain physically working hard. Without the proper rest it is guaranteed to bring it on! I do not loose sleep because of it nor do I require any meds at this time. After reveiwing several posts I know I am a very lucky person.

I do find my only relief comes from laying on my stomach. Absolutely nothing else works! I need to lay flat out on the bed, a floor, a table, or even a picket fence would work, as long as I can lay on my stomach!!!!!

But... I don't know if you would consider it leg twitching or not? But, I have to rock myself too! It's not just laying on the stomach, I rock my hips or thighs slightly till I fall asleep. I always linked this to possibly my mother rocking me as a baby to help me fall asleep (if I was an infant on my stomach and my mother rocking my butt back and forth to try and help me sleep). I aked her and she did not remember doing that. If rocking my hips doesn't work, I bounce my foot on the bed or off the side of the bed. Is that a twitch? I didn't think about it until after reading through here.

I just consider myself soooo lucky that it has not interfered with my sleep. maybe I've had it since childhood and found a way to instinctively deal with it (by rocking myself and/or bouncing my foot) and I can get that sleep I need?

Thanks for being here. I wish everyone a wonderful restful night!

Dianne

becat

Post by becat »

Hi Dianne and welcome to the board and to the best bunch of people you'll meet on the net.
I like to sleep on my tummy too, it's like the pressure on the top of my legs just feels good. I got a mattress warmer this year, on high, it feels even better.
Go outside freeze my feet and then char then on the mattress warmer. LOL
I'm certainly glad those commercials are getting the good word out to someone. Although, the new one from GSK is much better my way of information, than before.
Glad you found us, only wish we had better reasons to meet.
Welcome again, make yourself at home on the board. Post anywhere, anytime, we learn best from each other.
Hugs Lynne

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hey dianne

Welcome to the forum!

I find that sleeping on my stomach helps, too. Like Lynne said, it puts pressure on my thighs, which seems to be where my RLS is worse most of the time.

This is a great forum, Diane. And, as Lynne said, we learn best from each other. And, I am so glad the commercials are getting the word out.

You take care and, please, let us know how you get along.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Thanks and it's very nice to meet you all as well.

I find the commercials amusing. The requip may make you drowsy? Aren't we already tired........ That's why we have RLS...... So I never looked into it. But like I said, my symptoms are not causing me to loose sleep.

Everyone have a wonderful new year.

Dianne

ctravel12

hello everyone I am to this site and have rls too

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Dianne and welcome So glad to hear that you do not have to take meds for your rls. I am sorry that you do have it,; however you have found an excellent caring and support group.

That is so unusual that all of us sleep on our tummies to relieve the rls. I have done that in that past and has definitely helped.

You certainly got some good advise from Jan and Lynne.

If you ever just want to talk or whatever, we are here for you.

Have a good 2007 year and restful one. Nice meeting you.

Keep us posted on how you are doing. We enjoy hearing from everyone and seeing how they are doing.

Dianne, like Lynne and Jan said we do learn from each other.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

hey dianne welcome!

i know those commercials are so goofy, makes you want to say hallelujah it makes me drowsy, i need friggin sleep, not to mention my legs to stop hurting. i don't need to lay in my recliner and watch tv, i just want to make it through the day without pulling all my hair out because of this friggin RLS!!! now thats a realistic commercial!

welcome to the board

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi there, yeah I lie on my tummy with knees bent and legs in the air, feet wiggling, to get some relief, (sometimes). or to make it thru to the end of a movie, obviously when at home!! Not a pretty sight at aged 57 and kinda overweight. A common phrase in our house is my husband saying 'legs away again, pet' !!! Requp at 2mg is helping at present. Got magnewium today and started at 300mg x1 daily for burning feet.
Good luck, Betty
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation