New to RLS

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
seth poindexter

New to RLS

Post by seth poindexter »

Hi All-
Not sure if I have RLS....so thats why I am here. I actually learned about RLS the other day while watching TV. I saw a commercial for medication that treated the symptoms...symptoms thats suddenly seemed quite familiar to me. While I am trying to get to sleep I will have the urge to make my legs " cramp up" and then "uncramp". I only have to do this once and then the "weird" feeling in my legs goes away. Lately, I'd say for the last two weeks or so, the "weird" feeling in my leg won't subside w/ my usual routine. I have to constantly "stretch them out" or "cramp them up" or "bend them in weird ways" to try to take care of the problem. Unfortunately nothing seems to work and I am awake much of the night dealing w/ the "weird" feeling in my leg. Now it's even bothering me during the day while sitting @ my desk. I'd say I first became aware of this problem while @ the movies. My leg was buggin and I could not sit still. Trying to do everything I could think of to get the odd feeling to subside. Sorry for such a long post but this is the first chance I've had to talk about it. Thanks for listening.

brandy

Post by brandy »

Welcome, Seth. First, don't worry about the length of your post. There have been many of us who have posted much longer ones and one of the things we do for each other is listen. My suggestion would be to head straight to the "New to RLS" section and read as much as you can, particuarly the sticky posts and the Mayo Clinic Algorithm. Arm yourself with as much information as possible and if you think RLS may be your problem, head to the doctor with some information in hand and work until you get some relief. It is frustrating, I know, and takes up time that you would rther spend doing other things, but it sounds like your conditioning is worsening and the sooner you start on the path to symptom-control the better. Please know that you have a great group of folks here who will be more than happy to offer support and guidance and to listen when you need to vent or ask a question. Keep us informed as to how you are doing.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

becat

Post by becat »

Hi Seth, welcome!
Hi Miss Brandy.
Like brandy said "a few of us" have written a couple longer.......lol :D Your good with us.
I'm glad to hear that those commercials educated someone. Yeah, but so sorry about the increase in symptoms. I would also direct you to the non pharm section to read through. In my mind, medications are the last resort, just in case your dealing with a lifetime event here. So along with Brandy, read through the first post in the sticky "Good place to start."
Try as many things as you can to control it your way first.
Yup I'd say you one of us, sadly, but your lucky to have found this board. It is packed with two things you'll learn to help you win the battle, good people and the best education. We've have the best people, caring, willing to share experiences, support and bring a laugh or a hug.
The education is found among the posts here. Some researched and brought to us, compiled........most is what each of shares here. We learn best from one another.
Post anytime, anywhere.....there are no silly questions ( can't say that for all of the responses you'll get :D :lol: ) You never know what you say might do for someone else.
Welcome and if you need anything let us know.
Lynne

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I'll add my welcome also. Sounds like you have found your new family and the advice you have received is good. This is one of the best boards I have found for support and help when you need it. Keep posting and we'll keep responding the best we can.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

welcome seth

sitting at my desk all day just makes my legs go friggin crazy too.

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hey Seth

It sure sounds like you have RLS to me. I'm sure sorry. But, I'm so glad you found us. This is a fantastic board---full of great people who are very compassionate.

As everyone said, there are no posts that are too long. You should see some of mine! LOL And, absolutely no silly questions. And, I can't tell you how much I've learned from new members.

I like Becat's suggestion that you check out the Non Pharm section of the board. I started on medication very early on.....I wish I had know about other methods that might have helped me instead of meds.

Take care and please check in to let us know how you're getting along.

Hope you have a restful night!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.