So glad I found this website!

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
dogeyed

So glad I found this website!

Post by dogeyed »

So glad I can pour out my concerns about my legs to folks who have the same thing. MY LEGS ARE KILLING ME! It comes and goes... I'll have a couple months of relief, and then six months of pain. My calves spaz up, I limp, my legs tighten up so much that I am worn out just laying on the couch. It is a miserable existence. I'll tell you, if I don't find out what it is, I'm going to find someone who will put my legs out of their misery! HA! My leg pain has been going on for years. I limp all around, I can barely get out of my chair, my hips hurt, my feet and hands get numb. I fell down in the living room a few days ago and that is not normal. Also, I always have a fever, my upper lip is numb, eyes swollen and hurt, constant pain in my left chest, wheeze when breathing in, sometimes dizzy, can't think straight, :? can't work, and no one knows what is wrong with me! Thyroid normal, heart stress test normal, chest X-ray normal. I'm 53 and been in menopause for couple years. Folks who think stress causes this do not have what I have. Maybe I have MS. Any ideas?

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Please get yourself to a nuerologist ASAP. This is not depression, PMS, menopause etc. This is a more serious problem. I am not a doctor but I have a husband whose symptoms were almost identical to yours. With so many neurological problems, there is help and the sooner you get it the better. There are many problems out there that cause nerve damage and sometimes if not treated, they become permanent. I don't mean to scare you but I want you to consider this serious and seek help. Please let me know soon that you have made an appointment with someone. If that someone doesn't take you seriously or doesn't help you, find another. Don't let this go on.

dogeyed

yes, i have doctor appointment

Post by dogeyed »

Very kind of you to help me in this way. My doctor appointment is scheduled for the end of June. I could set up a sooner one with a neurologist if you think I should...

For others interested: One thing that I have found that helps my legs, whether I have MS or something else, is the statin drugs. I have very high lipids, so I take them a couple times a month. I would take them more regularly, but they are expensive. Anyway, whenever I take them, I feel better. They are doing studies on statins and MS.

Ruby, please tell me what you think I may have? Keep in mind, while it may be tumor, the MS disability damages the brain and spinal cord. Also, I take Zoloft, Klonopin and Beta Blockers, all of which can create some of my symptoms. Funny thing is, when I take the statins, I don't feel the need to take any other drugs because I feel so much better. Anyone else have the luck of taking statins (Zocor)?

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

I'm with Ruby on this one.

If you can snaffle a Neurologist appointment ASAP, the sooner the better; even if you have to travel (within reason of course!).

With the right tests, xrays, scans, questions, etc a Neuro should be able to eliminate any number of different scenarios one by one until you have a correct diagnosis.

Keep us posted with your progress!

Take care and stay positive.
Nadia
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I shouldn't have said anything to scare you about your symptoms. I really am just concerned for you and want to know that you are seeking treatment. If you can get in with a Nuero sooner, please do so. My husband has a disease called CIDP which is a chronic form of a disease that is related to Peripheral Neuropathy. Many times RLS is actually caused by something else, PN being one of them. Please don't look for problems where none exist, but many of your symptoms are much like my husband's. His is not a fatal disease but nerve damage is permanent. If you can get treatment before any damage is done, then you are miles ahead. Again, I am not a doctor so please don't think I am trying to diagnose you. There is so much out there that can be treated if we get help soon enough. Whatever you have, is sounds likd more than RLS alone. Please keep us posted.