My boyfriend keeps me up at night....

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
melissat

My boyfriend keeps me up at night....

Post by melissat »

Hello, I have noticed that when I stay with my boyfriend I am awakened by him kicking his legs about four times then its silent and after a few minutes he starts it again and goes on until I finally go back to sleep. I never thought anything about it (because we don't live together, so I am not next to him sleeping that often). He is always tired throughout the day and has gone to see the doctor concerning his lack of energy and the doctors have tryed to adjust his medication that he takes for an auto-immune disease that he has, and nothing has helped. A few weeks ago after staying overnight with him, his kicking happened again. I told him about it the next morning and he was not aware of it. I looked up what RLS is and what the symptoms are, but he doesn't have the "tingly, buggy" feeling in his legs, he has no idea this is even going on, so he doesn't have all of the symptoms that are listed on the websites. I would say this has been going on for about 3 years (that I know of), but I am not sure how often due to us not sleeping next to each other that often. Do you think he should be checked out for RLS? I was not sure due to him not "feeling"anything in his legs like most people state that they feel. I would really appreciate if someone could let me know their opinion on this. Thanks very much!

Neco

Post by Neco »

What he is experiencing is almost definitely periodic limb movement disorder. A sleep study can officially diagnose this, and then he can get treatment for it.

melissat

Post by melissat »

Thanks very much for your reply and information, I will look into that disorder!

brandy

Post by brandy »

Welcome, Melissa. I agree with Zach. PLMD is treatable in a variety of ways, there is hope for a better night's rest for you and him. Let us know how it goes and good luck!
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

melissat

Post by melissat »

Thanks Brandy, I did pull several websites about PLMD and I definitely think that is what he has. It is the exact symptoms that they state on their sites. We will definately have a sleep study done and I will advise on what they find. Thanks again for help!