New to this

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
gilly

New to this

Post by gilly »

At my most recent physical in September, I described my symptoms to my doctor. (I have them all as listed in the symptoms section). She didn't label it as RLS but just said it's becoming more common and they don't know the cause. She said quinine is being used to treat it. She said to just drink some tonic water (which contains quinine). I can't stand the taste so that is just not an option...unless anyone knows how to cover the taste (without alcohol..haha).

Has anyone else had this recommended to them?

My RLS seems much more regular now. It always manages to kick in at the most inconvenient times like when I'm on the commuter train going home ( I feel like a 2 year old who can't sit still.) or when I'm cuddled in a chair with my son watching a movie or just when I'm trying to fall asleep.

I've tried to access the Jill Gunzel website but can't get to it for some reason....anybody else had this problem?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that your doctor is not better informed.

Quinine is what they used to use about 30 years ago. It's not been recommended for at least 20 years. It's great for leg cramps, though.

Follow the link in my signature - it will take you to a thread that lists lots of options, what you can try, and take you to more reading on other sites, too.

Hmm, I haven't gone to Jill's site in awhile, let me try. . .hmmm, I got there OK. I just typed in rlsrebel.com = no www or anything. Here is a direct link to the addy in my address bar: http://members.cox.net/gunzel/index.html
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ctravel12

new to this

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Gilly and welcome to this board. I was once told to use quinne and tonic water(like Ann says it is used for leg cramps) and believe me it is not for rls as my rls really went into full swing until I got off of it and went onto another med which is helping my rls and hope that it continues.

Jill Gunzel is a great website and know you will get alot of good info. there. .

You have found a wonderful group as everyone is more than willing to help and offer alot support.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

gilly

Post by gilly »

Thank you for your input and support.

I was looking at some of the sites listed in the Managing RLS area. I found it interesting that the John Hopkins Centre for Restless Legs Syndrome and the John Hopkins Asthma and Allergy Clinic are located in the same area. I haven't done a lot of reading yet but curious if there's a link between the two.

brandy

Post by brandy »

Welcome, gilly. I'm so sorry that you are suffering with RLS symptoms. I would highly recommend that you consider making an appointment with another doctor as it sounds as though your current physician is not particularly informed regarding RLS. Another option is to do some research on your own, print out the Mayo Clinic Algorithm and bring it your doctor and begin trying the different treatment options available until you find one that works for you. Many people find that their RLS symptoms can be managed with medication, diet, exercise, etc. I would hate to see you suffer as a result of an uninformed doctor. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer