slightly shocked

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.

slightly shocked

Post by Guest »

Wow...I was doing some research about possibilities as to why my 21 month old son spends a lot of time "jerking" while falling asleep and jerking while sleeping at night and happened across the term rls. I about fell out of my seat. Everything I read fit me perfectly. I have been having these symptoms since I was about 4 years old. I remember crying and crying because I couldn't get my legs to stop feeling funny at night. I would try everything from flipping off my covers to let my legs get cold and then flipping the covers back on to getting them hot. I tried everything to get comfortable...my parents always told me that I was just having growing pains and to stop crying. Those growing pains continued for years and years to this day. I am now 26 years old and have the same exact feeling in my legs that I did when I was 4. I am very lucky in the fact that it is not a nightly thing - my heart goes out to those that have to deal with this every night...I tend to experience it maybe once a week..sometimes more and sometimes less. But when it does happen I almost brought to tears...the other night I about asked my husband to just hit them with a baseball bat....anything to get them stop. He his very patient with me but I don't think he understands the extent of just how horrible a feeling it is. I am glad that I found this site and I plan on talking to both my doctor (concerning me) and my Ped concerning my son.

becat

Your Home Now

Post by becat »

Hi Guest,
Your welcome in our home here, may you find education, comfort, and a place to feel like you belong. We all know your pain and discomfort to some degree. Not all of us have the same level of RLS. Not all of us had it as children, nor does it run through our family. We all know what it's like to try to explain something that no one can see.
I am a lifer, 40 yrs old and have a painful form of RLS. It runs in my family, and have been in treatment for I think 2 years. I, too, had painful childhood RLS........it's my first real memories. I am thinking, now, that I also had this from birth.
The first and best thing to do for yourself is EDUCATION. It's your biggest defense with the doctors. Most have some knowledge of this disorder, but so many do not. Below is a guide to print out and take with you to your doctors visit. It's a guide to diagnosis and treatment. But each of us is different and treatment may take some time to figure out what's right for you.
http://www.mayo.edu/proceedings/2004/jul/7907crc.pdf

Next is a link to healthcare providers in your area that will know about this disorder if your doctor is unable to help. I will warn you, there is not much research in this for children yet, so be aware that there may be different options for your son. I, too, pasted this on to my youngest son. He is mild thankfully, for now.

http://rls.org/find_a_provider/

Your should become a member and stick around. We have a wonderful bunch of people here. We help answer questions, listen, and share with you. We're in the process of our own research project and would love to have you fill out a questionaire for us. But your not under any pressure to do so.
http://rls.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=260

We sorry you have this, but you found us know. Your not crazy and your not alone. Keep us updated and God Bless.

Heronak

Post by Heronak »

Welcome Guest,

You are giving your son a gift, just by being aware of RLS, and believing it is more than growing pains. He may have PLMD, Periodic Limb Movement Disorder which could explain the kicking/twitching.

Educate yourself as much as you can prior to seeing your doc/ped - many doctors are not at all familiar with RLS. Becat posted some excellent links for places to start.

All the best,

Heron