Scared Student

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
nomad2007

Scared Student

Post by nomad2007 »

For the last several weeks, I have been having trouble sleeping to the point where I will get only 3-4 hours (If I don't wake up periodically). The desire to move my legs is more than unbearable. In order to get to my classes I have to down a Vault soda when I get up. Sometimes I try to go back to sleep after my classes, but it doesn't work unless I take something....

The doctor prescribed me clonazepam (Klonopin) which seemed to work the first night I took it, because I took a .5mg tab every 30 minutes for an hour and half. I got 8 or 9 hours that night, but I can't keep living like this.

I play soccer, run, exercise and stay active for several hours out of the day, but even with this I can only sleep 1-2 hours before my RLS starts to act up again and wakes me indefinately.

My dad, who recently passed away from a brain tumor suffered from RLS most of his adult life. It just seems to early for me to be going through this hell...

I'm only 21 and this is taking a toll on my ability to socialize and maintain good grades. I don't want to keep taking Klonipin, but it's the only thing that seems to work. Has anyone tried Requip? Or could suggest other medications that I could try OTC or otherwise?

Thanks and God Bless,

Kyle

Neco

Post by Neco »

Hi Kyle,

I was also 21 when I was diagnosed and I understand how bad you feel. There are a couple of us in our twenties lurking around here yet.

I can't say anything about OTC stuff.. Usually people try herbs or iron supplements, etc.

If you have the option, definitely give Requip a try. Stay away from Sinemet if you can though. It has a very high failure rate, and should be used as a last option, if even at all.

You can also ask your doctor about trying some low doses of Ultram, since it is "non-narcotic".

I augmented (symptoms came back early and amplified) off Sinemet almost immediately. Requip seems to work 50/50 for me and gave me nasty headaches at random, and sleep aids like Lunesta or Ambien don't really do much for me consistently. 100mg of tramadol (Ultram) seemed to work for me in general, as well as Tylenol #3 and Vicodin. I currently take Vicodin and Oxazepam alternating.

brandy

Post by brandy »

Welcome, Kyle. Unfortunately, there are a minority of us who have RLS at an early age. I have had it since I was a young child and I still struggle even though I am only 28. The good news is that many, many people find treatment that works for them. I would encourage you to find a doctor that is knowledgable regarding RLS and begin trying different options. Requip and Mirapex are a great place to start as they have a pretty high success rate. Some find that they do not help or they come with intolerable side effects, but there are other options available to you. Also, as difficult as it may be, you might considering cutting down (or completely out) the caffeine as it can make RLS much worse, even significantly after you've consumed it. But, I have a hard time following my own advice sometimes because that feeling of exhaustion can be so overwhelming. I hope that you are able to get some relief soon. Please let us know how things go. Good luck!
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

While I'm in my forties, I've had it since my teens.

Check out the "sticky" posts in this section. It should really help give you an idea of what to do next, other options you have, what drugs to try, etc. Just click on the link in my signature. . .
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ctravel12

scared students

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Kyle and welcome to this group. I am so sorry for the rough time that you are having with your rls especially being at such a young age.

I myself take clonazapem and it does work for me. One thing to remember what works for one may not always work for another.

I took requip, but did not agree with me but some members take it and have no problem with it.

Since you are new to this board, I would recommend reading the forum New to RLS "Managing RLS" it has alot of good info there. Also read the Mayo Clinic Algorithm and if you are able to print it take it to your dr. It is good to try and educate yourself as much as possible on the rls before seeing a dr.

Like Brandy said, see a dr that is knowledgeable about rls.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

\
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Haggi

Post by Haggi »

I was diagnosed last year at the age of 26, but I've had these symptoms since I was a teenager.

I've had the best luck so far with Mirapex. Requip worked on my RLS, but I couldn't tolerate the nausea.

Clonozepam and Ambien helped me sleep a bit, but didn't do much for the RLS.

Cutting out the caffeine is a good step to take. It's rough going through the withdrawal, but you'll feel better in the end.
--Haggi