Back from the doctor

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
alecto3

Back from the doctor

Post by alecto3 »

OK so I went to the Neurologist and MIRACLE OF MIRACLES he knew exactly what I was talking about, had seen it before and gave me something to treat it. He but me on Mirapex, which is a parkinsons drug .125mg a day for 2 weeks then double that until we find out how much works. Its been 3 days and although it is still there the last 3 days have been much more mild then the months before this. I sat and cried for atleast an hour. There is a name for this and it can be treated. It's not all in my head, I am not crazy and I have a doctor to prove is! YAY me!

Sara

Post by Sara »

Congratulations on an encouraging step taken!!!! :D

Sara

jumpyowl

Welcome backAlecto 3

Post by jumpyowl »

from the doctor that is.

My neuro was satisfactory, too. She usually prescribes Requip because it doews not cause nausea, but since I do not have it, she kept me on Mirapex. She talked me out of Ultram with a logical argument, I did not think it was doing me much good anyway.

She gave me extra Mirapex, now it is 0.5 mg twice a day, so I can increase the dose (it is still small.)

When you double a dose, as a rule of thumb, it may be a good idea to spread it out over the day. Especially, if you have augmentation and/or a rebound effect. If you see the sensation coming back earlier and earlier tell the doctor that you would like to take another dose earlier in the day.
In your case you just may have to increase the evening dose first because you are at a minimum dose level.

Yes Mirapex and requip are both dopamine agonists and not precursors such as Sinemet.

Keep is informed of your saga. I can understand your feeling "liberated."
Jumpy Owl