Questions

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Rigger

Questions

Post by Rigger »

I'm taking Mirapex for my RLS and getting good results. I have read that therapies can wear out after 1 to 2 years. Has anyone experienced this?

Does anyone know of a connection between RLS and Parkinsons risk?

Thanks for your time!
Live each day with the wonder of a child.

nephriticus

Post by nephriticus »

I have read that therapies can wear out after 1 to 2 years.

I have read numerous accounts in these forums where that is the case. Personally, I took Sinemet for nearly three years. It worked mostly well for the entire time.

Does anyone know of a connection between RLS and Parkinsons risk?

I have wondered that also, but I have not read of any relationship to date. I believe they are separate issues.

Live each day with the wonder of a child

I don't know about the child part, but I lately find myself with more wonder. I walk into rooms and wonder why I walked in there. :wink:
Neph
Currently RLS free. Symptoms stopped almost abruptly after my long term, full time care giving duties ended with passing of wife. No stress, no RLS.

Post by Guest »

:D neph...lol

Thanks for the reply.

I'm glad you get relief! Mirapex works well fo me too. I just am concerned about taking a parkinsons drug which I may later need if ...lord forbid... I were diagnosed that way.

ViewsAskew

Re: questions

Post by ViewsAskew »

I took Mirapex for about 18 months before is stopped working; at that time increasing the dosage only increased the side effects! Because none of the drugs we take were actually developed for RLS or PLMD, it's often hit or miss. Drugs work, they don't work, then they work again, others make it worse, etc. There is no link between primary RLS and Parkinsons as far as I know. If it is secondary, I suppose it would depend on whether the primary cause was linked to Parkinsons.