Kelbel, others--restless, hyper...and arthritis?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Sara

Kelbel, others--restless, hyper...and arthritis?

Post by Sara »

Kelbel--

I just realized that I probably never got back to you about a comment you made earlier this month, which I thought was an important issue. So sorry about that... it's been a hectic month.

You mentioned that you thought you'd had RLS lots longer than you realized, and that you were always "restless and hyper", I think were your words. I think that this is actually a VERY logical and important thing to discuss. Several people I've met here have mentioned how they were always restless (and usually punished for it). I remember Jan said she couldn't sit still in church.

My mom, actually, has said the same thing. She's not "sure" if she has RLS, because she's very mentally inflexible, so if someone else's description isn't JUST how she thinks about it in HER mind, it's hard for her to "translate" the description.

HOWEVER, after we discussed it for quite a while one day, she got a brainstorm, and shared that she has ALWAYS had trouble sitting still, especially evenings... and she's dreaded places like church, jury duty, public occasions, where sitting still and be decorous were required/expected. And it got her in trouble when she was young.

But the WAY she feels she must move is much the same way RLS makes ME feel I must move. We're not sure if peripheral neuropathy symptoms (which are recent, from chemotherapy) are making the earlier symptoms harder to recognize/recall. But I think it would be important to keep in mind that RLS COULD be the cause of some "behaviors" especially in kids, which we just "assume" are controllable. I think we all know now, that if a kid was feeling what we feel, they probably COULDN"T control it-- nor describe it in any way that would make other people understand why they were acting the way they were. So, thanks for mentioning that, Kelbel.

You also mentioned arthritis... I think I'm getting arthritic, too--- hands, wrists, feet, maybe elbows and hips. I wonder if Jumpy will have any data about the prevalence of arthritis in RLS sufferers. Doesn't SEEM like a "related" thing, necessarily. But I know that RHEUMATOID arthritis has some odd effects besides just joint pain. I am pretty sure I have osteoarthritis (wouldn't wish RA on the worst person in the world, knowing someone who has a bad case of it!!! :cry: ) Anyway, thought it was interesting.

Best to all! Take good care.
Sara :)