Could stress worsen the symptons?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
GRNMOUNTGRL

Could stress worsen the symptons?

Post by GRNMOUNTGRL »

I had RLS almost 24/7. I could not take it anymore. I couldn't drive, watch a movie, sit at the computer, do my job, I could sleep because of the Requip but did not know how well I was sleeping. A sleep study was set up and I could not do it because...I quit my job!! Now, how does that relate to my RLS you ask? I will tell you, I have a job that was so stressful and demanding that I believe the RLS was worsening because of that stress. I could barely function due to the flair up and the spasms.

I left that job, with no new job to go to, and a mortgage calling me every month. I have to say once I quit my job, the RLS has not flaired up one time. I am on Mirapex now also and I don't know if it is the Mirapex or the lack of stress in my life but I feel like a completely new human being. Last evening I went to a friends to pray and all of a sudden she realized that I was actually sitting down and being able to do this without the spasms and having to stand up.

So, while I don't know if stress makes the sympotons of RLS worse or not and I don't know if my leaving my job took away some of the symptons, I am so greatful to God for what is happening with my RLS. I know that I will always have RLS and will always have to take medication, but if I can continue to keep my stress level down I may, just may, be able to live a semi normal life.

Has anyone else found that stress increases the symptons of RLS? Maybe this is just all in my head. I think the biggest test will come next time I have to drive more than an hour to get somewhere or take an airplane. Which I will do in April, I will letl you all know how that goes.

Rory
What is this phrase, "please notify moderators to remove this message" that has been stuck in the middle of my post????

ctravel12

could stress worsen the symptons

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Rory, thank you so much for sharing that with us. I truly believe that stress does have alot of impact on alot of things even rls. It is not in your head.

I am so glad that you finally got relief for your rls. I know exactly how you feel. I am also on meds (clonazapem and mirapex) but my rls is finally under control. I know I will have to take meds most likely all my life, but can handle that as long as the rls is doing fine.

I will be taking a airplane trip in August and will see how that works, but feel it will be fine.

Please keep us posted on the flight and also how you are doing.

Again, am so happy to hear this wonderful story.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

becat

Post by becat »

Yes stress can be a major accelarent for many of us with RLS.
Even Dr. Rye said for himself that stress had a negative effect on his own RLS during the web seminar.
I know for myself that stress can trigger my stomach or in my legs, yeah when they both go nuts.
I tell you the month of Jan. was just on shock after another. if it wasn't emotional then it was emtional and phsyical. My body took the hit for many things out of my control and no power to really change what was happening.
By the middle of last month my body just threw me to the wind. :?
I'm trying my best to learn, teach myself, something to look at stress and wuickly figure out.......Mine? Changeable? Or drop it and walk on......
It's the drop it and walk away thing that does not suit my fix everything attitude.
Hmmmmm, theres where I need to start.
Good Gosh yes, we all understand this part and try hard to avoid the problem all together. I just haven't found the door to that world yet. LOL
That was awesome that you sat still and just enjoy yourself. Sounds like you have nice friends that notice your comfort and discomfort. What a treasure.
Good IS Good.

Rory if you type a nasty word it comes up as a hint to moderators to look at the post. Spammers are to thank for that. LOL

Hugs to all
Lynne

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

I think stress can make RLS worse. Although, maybe it's that stress can make insomnia worse which then makes RLS worse, I don't know. For instance, I'm on call at my work some nights and those nights are quite stressful and I sometimes have breakthrough RLS.

I would guess that it was both the lack of stress and the Mirapex which are helping you out. Congrats! I went back on Mirapex about 3 months ago and I was surprised to see that it's helping again after a 6 year hiatus from it. Amen!

becat

Post by becat »

Nice to see you around Hos.
Lynne

GRNMOUNTGRL

Post by GRNMOUNTGRL »

Thank you all for the support. It was strange that phrase came into my positng because I was just writing about having a mortgage. Oh well, I am so glad this forum is here, I thought that perhaps I was crazy to think that my RLS could change so much by just getting rid of the stress.

I know that I will always be on meds, and that it may break through at times, but for now I am really enjoying this.

Thanks to all.

Rory

GRNMOUNTGRL

Post by GRNMOUNTGRL »

Here we go again with that phrase. They must not like the word, mortgage. Funny...

becat

Post by becat »

LOL LOL LOL
Your good by us my dear.
Lynne