New like you...with questions ??

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
PJ

New like you...with questions ??

Post by PJ »

I have RSL / PLMD and have read so many stories from people who suffer from lack of sleep or no sleep, pain, chronic fatigue and depression. Has anyone ever been successful obtaining Social Security Disability ? Are we expected to change our lives, go without sleep to retain employment, take drugs (that are not without side-effects) to force us in unconsciousness. If I was able to sleep between 2am and 10am I would not need any drugs and feel totally rested and refreshed. But the job I have is during the daytime 7:30am - 3:30pm and I have held it for 28 years. Two years to retirement but as I force my body to live by societies standards I feel I am getting worse. I am tired a lot and the energy level and interest just is not there. Does everyone work at jobs that force this unnatural sleep schedule....or are we considered eligible for Disability ?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

PJ - definitely go through some old posts - the heading should cue you I think - or try a search. SSD has been discussed, but not that many people have been successful, so you might wait a long time for an answer. At least three or four people I know of, and one of our regular members, have received it, but many more have been denied. Going through those old posts (and some of them go back a couple years or more) will help you get a pretty complete picture.

Hope you can find them all and get the info you need.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

PJ

Post by PJ »

Thank you....although they are not exactly encouraging because of the long drawn-out battles with the SSD they are informative. I am attempting to hang-in until 0ctober 2008 as I can retire. With the help of the drugs and occasional relaspes of insomnia I am still able to function. And it is only 1.5 years away....I keep looking forward. If it becomes necessary I am ready to battle the courts........as a believe part my reason for being here is to teach as well as learn. I can be articulate and a lion when I have a cause to undertake.....and SSD is my hold-card. Take care all.....I know we all are in this together.