New to RLS....sensation or actual feeling?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
wigawamAUSTRALIA

New to RLS....sensation or actual feeling?

Post by wigawamAUSTRALIA »

Hi

I am new to RLS and like a lot of people have self diagnosed myself with it. I have actual constant twitching in my legs (mainly both calves) that looks like insects or worms running through them. I work at a computer and is very noticeable, i also feel it quite a lot when i am lying down on my bed before sleep or on the couch or on the plane.

I have recently started a course of antidepressants called Aurorix (Moclobemide) for anxiety after a bout of dizziness that lasted over a month. I also took anti nausea (stemzine) on and off for for the duration of the dizziness.

With RLS are you supposed to actually get the muscle twitching or just the sensation (perceived vs actual)?? I have had bouts where I have to move my legs but that is on and off (once a fortnight to a month) but have had the calf twitching for going on a month now.

Any help, info, words of advice would be much appreciated.

Peter :?

Keepingstep

Post by Keepingstep »

Wigawam, greetings and welcome to this forum.

It is my understanding that antidepressants can make RLS worse. Perhaps you are experiencing more pronounced symptoms now because of this? Do you notice a cause/effect?

" With RLS are you supposed to actually get the muscle twitching or just the sensation (perceived vs actual)?? "

With RLS you can get both... and I submit to you that there is no measurable subjective difference if it is perceived or actual.

The one thing about RLS is that it isn't constant over time. You can have long periods symptom free, and other times where the symptoms are nearly continuous. From my point of view, this seems to have a lot to do with age and activity levels. In the last 10 years it has gotten more frequent. In the last 2 years it has become more or less continuous for me. The amount of pain seems to be related to my activity level .. walking all day will always result in no sleep that night.

I hope this helps you. I know for me, finding this forum has helped me just knowing that I am not alone with this.

Welcome!!

wigawamAUSTRALIA

Post by wigawamAUSTRALIA »

Thanks for the reply, I just wasn't sure if people's muscles twitched to the eye or just felt like they twitch....mine is certainly the first option :( my mates think I am freak cause it looks like bugs running around in my calves. :oops:

I have been playing a heap of sport but have stopped completely over the last few weeks, I asked my physiotherapist about RLS and he had never heard of it before and he thinks that my muscle twitching is because of a tight lower back.

I will speak to my doctor about the anti-depres medication and see what he says, i have never had my calves do this for this long before so I'm guessing it may be playing a part.

Thanks once again.
:D

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Greetings fellow down-under-dweller :)

Keepingstep is right about the anti-depressants. If you DO have RLS, (and i'm not say that you do or don't at the moment), then 99% of anti-depressants and some anti-nauseants actually make RLS symptoms worse.

From my own personal RLS experiences the muscle sensation is more perceived than actual i.e. the muscles themselves don't twitch, but I get sensations that scream at me that I have to either walk/wriggle or in most cases, stretch the crap outta my muscles, when in actual fact I should be stretching the nerves.

You mentioned that you have been playing a lot of sport; is it something like basketball or soccer? or something else? As your physion mentioned this may be the underlying cause of the muscle twitching itself as you may have somehow damaged some nerves in your back. It's just a thought I had, but could be worth checking out.

Below is a link to the "useful websites" thread on this forum. Have a gander through it as you might find some useful information which your GP and/or physio may like to read.

http://beta.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=94

Your GP may be particularly interested in the Algorithm for Diagnosing RLS which was recently published by the Mayo clinic. It will assist him/her in determining if you have RLS.

http://www.mayo.edu/proceedings/2004/jul/7907crc.pdf

Before I sign off, there is a RLS Australia Committee now up and running. We are still in the very early developing stages, but if you are looking for any assistance in the "local" area, please feel to contact me by either email or PM. Our website (still under construction) is www.rls.org.au

I wish you well on your journey, and by all means keep us posted on how you go with your doc and physio.

Take care
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!