Not totally crazy

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
knitter58

Not totally crazy

Post by knitter58 »

I have been reading this website for about a week. I have made a couple of posts. This is new for me and a little uncomfortable and yet it feels good to know that I am not a freak or a hypocondriac (sp). I see a psychiatrist, a GP, and a neurologist. I have tried so many drugs for rls and no sleep - still trying . I get so excited when I sleep for 4 hours and think this is the drug. But so far no brass ring. There are times when I feel like some movie star with a drawer full of drugs next to her bed. Each night I wonder what to take. My docs have given me two or three drugs with maximum doses for the night. I am so afraid to take too much and also too little for fear I will wake up and have rls for hours like before. There are times when I just hate the thought of having to go to bed. In the past few weeks I have just resigned myself to this is my life and live with it. In some respects this has given me more freedom than before. I am no longer looking for a cure just a way to live with it. I will continue to read the site because I think it makes me feel better and I am
learning new things each time. I am taking the Mayo thing to my psy. but not to my GP because he thinks it is all stress. Thank you to whoever started it and keeps it going.

D4

Post by D4 »

Which doctor is prescribing all the drugs for this? I would think they'd give you specific instructions so that you're not deciding what to take each night. Many of these drugs warn that you have to ramp up and down off them instead of taking them just starting/stopping them. Of course, I'm not a doctor.

Many of us have found better luck with neurologists. Is yours willing to work with you to find something that helps you?

And no, you're not a freak. We understand here because we feel (or have felt) similar things. Those that don't have this disorder just don't understand how miserable it can make you.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

I think it is best to continue searching for the right treatment, but in the meantime I want to tell you that it is great that you have decided to accept this disorder and try to live with it. In my opinion that is a very important step. It doesn't mean that it makes life easier, but as yoy siad, it gives you a certain kind of freedom.

Corrie

knitter58

Post by knitter58 »

:) Thanks to both of you for your comments. My psy is coordinating the drugs and my neurologist is the one that prescribed hydrocodone. My GP would not because he believed I would become addicted. My neurologist said not in the dose he was giving me and my psy didn't believe I would either. My GP just tolerates it and treats me for some stress related gastro issues. I have a brother who lives with my elderly parents and he has attacted both me and my daughter. I worry about my parents and what will happen when they die. I have some PTS and stomach issues as a result. This I have to manage and live with and I am doing pretty well. The sleep issue concerns both the rls and the stress in my life. I went thru most of the drugs to combat rls but the side effects made them difficult. I have also gone thru most sleep aides but they just don't work. The hydrocodone was a true blessing. But each night I have to decide do I take the whole pill or half and when I wake up do I take the other half and the same with an anti- anxiety drug. I have a maximun dose of each that the docs have said is safe and they tell me to decide.

Thanks for your concern and comments. It almost makes me cry to know their are people who understand and will listen. I just hate to bring this up with people at work but sometimes I am just so tired at work. Coffee use to help but I gave that up because of the caffine.

Thanks again so much. This will make this Friday much easier to get thru. I know that I can sleep late on the weekends so I look forward to them.