doctor in ct?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
susyw

doctor in ct?

Post by susyw »

Hi Everyone! I recently started reading this board and find it to be very informative and interesting. I have had RLS since childhood, but was finally diagnosed two years ago. I am 28 and find that my symptoms have gotten worse with age. I have a nuerologist and he has me taking Requip. Although this has helped slightly, I now find that i have symptoms ALL day some days. Thank you to jumyowl for some information on different treatments! Does anyone know of a good doctor in the Connecticut area? I would like someone who is open to trying different options until I find what is right for me.

sardsy75

Finding a good doctor

Post by sardsy75 »

Hi Susy

Unfortunately, as I am from the "down under" side of the planet I do not know the Conneticut area all that well. :wink:

However :) I can help you by guiding you in the direction of the list of medical professionals who have registered with the Foundation as RLS Healthcare Providers.

http://beta.restlesslegs.org/provider_d ... ctory.html This link will take you to the listing for the Conneticut area. If you'd like to widen your search, go to the very bottom of the page and click on the "Healthcare Directory" which, by following the promts will give you a list for pretty much anywhere in the US and around the world.

I was recently given some advice by a very sick friend who said, "the more doctors, the merrier." You're the one who's trying to find a comfortable level of living and it often helps keep the medico's on their toes if they happen to find out that you're not entirely satisfied with their opinion and treatment methods :wink:

(However, do tread carefully if you are seeking different opinions from neuro's who happen to be quite good friends, as their ego's may take a hit! :? )

I wish you all the best in your quest for relief. There is a wealth of information pouring into these boards every day (Mr Owl is a "mine" of information!). Keep us posted on your progress!

Take care
Nadia
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

jumpyowl

Doctors in CT

Post by jumpyowl »

Nadia even from down under already beat me to it. I probably know CT a bit better than her having lived in Massachusetts for twelve years, but I still cannot help you much more as I do not know your location.

Below are all the CT doctors and clinics from the source Nadia suggested and giving you a link for. Take your pick. Doctors associated with sleep centers may be more familiar with RLS than neurolgists but this is just a hunch or prejudice :roll: .

Hartford Hospital
Mohamed N. Hassan MD
85 Seymour St Ste 515
Hartford CT 06106-5524
860-524-5644
Neurology

Elsa S Mahmood MD
Yale University
PO Box 208018
New Haven CT 06520
203-785-4085
Neurology

Neurological Group, P.C.
Laurence I. Radin MD
350 Montauk Ave
New London CT 06320-4730
860-443-1891
Neurology

Eastern Connecticut Health Network, Inc.
Richard M. Shoup MD
Manchester Memorial Hospital
71 Haynes St
Manchester CT 06040-4131
Sleep Medicine

Yale University
Mahmood Eisa MD
15 York St LCI 701
New Haven CT 06510
Movement Disorder

Hellen Kim MD
PO Box 569
340 Pomfret Street
Putnam CT 06260
(860) 963-2056
Neurology

Connecticut Center for Sleep Medicine
Dominic Roca MD, PhD
Connecticut Center For Sleep
Stanford Hospital
Shelburne Rd @West Broad St 3rd Fl
Stanford CT 06902
353-2300
Sleep Medicine

Gaylord Sleep Services
Lee Matthias MD
Gaylord Farm Road
Wallingford CT 06492
(203) 284-2853
Sleep Medicine

Yale University
Alan J Sholomskas MD
Department Of Psychiatry
2 Whitney Ave Ste 204
New Haven CT 06510-1220
203-776-2077
Psychiatry
Sleep Medicine

Cross Country Neurology PC
Chris Gottschalk MD
577 Saybrook Rd
Middletown CT 06457-4718
860-347-0088
Neurology

Let us know what will be happening with you.

Sleeping Medicine/Movement Disorder/Meurology

is the order I would put them in decreasing probability that they can help you. I (personal opinion) would keep away from phsychologists and psychiatrist for this disorder.
Jumpy Owl

smanser

Thank you

Post by smanser »

Hi Susy and all others who have posted. I am also in CT (Hartford area) and believe I have RLS, not diabetic neuropathy (but it could be a factor) and am going to my Endocronologist in 2 weeks. He is not on the list, but is a newer DR and is AWESOME for the treatment of diabetes and new medical advances. I have been on insulin since the age of 4 and on an insulin pump for the last 6 years. My legs make me want to crawl out of them, and they are acting up now. I would be interested to see if you saw any of these DR's and your opinion.

jumpyowl - I am originally from western mass - which part of mass are you from?

Thank you! :)
Sue

jumpyowl

Not a yankee, I am afraid!

Post by jumpyowl »

Hi, Sue:

since october that is the first time I was notified of a "reply."

It gave me an excuse to log in. I missed you guys!!!

First to Sue:

I lived in MA for ten yearsL Waltham, Duxbury, Cohasset mainly.
Played in the Hingham symphonic orchestra for a year or two.

But I am from Hungary where I was born and raised. Immigrated to the USA in 1956.

Now, the reason for my long absence: I have been playing a guinea pig voluntarily for almost a year to psychiatrists, counselors, and social workers. While trying to prove them how careless and unscientific they are with their conclusions I was trying to work on my main goal - helping my wife and daughter.

I think I succeeded in both if only partially. My daughter lives in Tyler, going to school and works part time. She appears to be more self assertive and much happier. Thank God.

My wife's health after getting much better, suddenly deterriorated and she ended up three times in the emergency ward. At the first time she was so anemic that they had to give her 5 units of blood. Her ferritin level was less than 5 nanogram/ml, I am surprised she did not end up with RLS. They did a colonoscopy with negative results then they let her go home. (they forgot to check her lungs). A few days later (after seeing her family doctor) she was back in the hospital with severe pneumonia. Just saw her family doctor again today. Now he is willing to order an X-ray 30 days from now.

In the meantime I was steadily gaining weight and my stress level kept increasing. My blood sugar was going up, too. In december I visited a physician friend, who measured my blood sugar. 0ver 300 mg/dL. I went back to our family doctor, who stated that I am all right "I shall see you in 6 mos."

That was getting close to be a death warrant. I bought a glucometer and convinced myself that I am indeed diabetic. Went to see an endocrinologist, - sure enough my doctor was wrong.

My neurologist is also in the picture. She ran a nerve conduction test on me (not all of it pleasant but tolerable). They also ran an NMR on my lower back due to SCIATICA painn - rather stubborn. Mostly negative.

After trying them I have refused all psychotic medications. There was no justification for them and they made me feel much worse and much fatter.

I am still on Mirapex although had to increase the dose to 3 mg per day.

However, the main reason I am not on the board is that I have been working intensely on my main project: attempting to put my intellectual legacy in ophthalmology in a form that medical researchers can use it and people can benefit from it. Next meeting will be three weeks from now, and I have not had time to pay the bills yet!

Well, I hope that my old friends will be able to see this post. I will plant it in strategic places. I noticed that they are all very active in RLS and I am so glad and proud of them.

Once I can breath a bit easier and get the diabetes under control, I will finish the second survey and come back more often.

Love to you all!
Jumpy Owl