Some relief in sight

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
workingmom1223

Some relief in sight

Post by workingmom1223 »

Hi everyone
I went to see a new doctor today and he said i indeed have a bad case of rls , He put me on a med called Sinemet, i talk two tablets at bedtime , he said it works better the longer your on it , he also told me that if i feel it is not working the way i think it should he will try something else , i am just at this point and time hoping to get a good nights sleep , so tonight will be my first night on these meds so i will post in the am to let everyone know how it did .
blessings
Tonya
(workingmom )

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Tonya,

Have you read anything about the treatment of RLS? Particularly the Mayo Clinic Algorithm? You can get to it by clicking on the link in my signature or going to the "sticky" post on managing RLS.

I ask this because it's so important for you to know as much as you can about RLS. This is because so many doctors are not up to speed on the best and most current methods for treating it.

To that point, Sinemet is a good medication. But not for daily RLS. According to the information in the Algorithm and in Dr Buchfurer's book on RLS, Sinemet should only be given to people who take it 4 days or less a week.

It can work for some people, but there are many things you need to be aware of.

Please read the links I suggested. Also, please read the "sticky" post in the pharma section and read about something called augmentation. This happens to the majority of people who take Sinemet. You must know the symptoms of this in case it happens to you, so you can immediately call your doctor.

I hope I didn't scare you. I wish, I so wish, that I never had to type those words again. But, research is happening very fast and doctors can't always keep up with it. So, we have to do it ourselves.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

workingmom1223

Post by workingmom1223 »

hi Anne
Thanks for the info , i have tried to read as much as i can about rls , im new to this so im just not sure , the doc has me on this med for 4 wks to see what its doing , and he did say if its not working we will try other things , i will keep reading and thanks again for your concern.
Tonya

dellkr

Post by dellkr »

Hey Tonya! I too was officially diagnosed today but was put on clonazepan. It will be interesting to see what relief we both get! Here's to hoping we both get a good night's sleep!

Kim

workingmom1223

Post by workingmom1223 »

Hi Kim
How was your night ? For the first time in a long time i feel right asleep but i think the meds had alot to do with that , i did wake up a few times but went right back to sleep , i was once on the meds your on but mine was for panic attacts so i know the meds your on is good to help you relax . well lets hope that we both feel better soon .let me know .
Blessings
Tonya

dellkr

Post by dellkr »

I think I relaxed darned near into a coma! First night's sleep I have had, literally in years, when I didn't wake up at least a dozen times. I don't even remember waking up to be honest and got in a grand total of 6 hours!!!! I was able to wake up at 6:30 and actually see the boys off to school for a change...got a bit worn out by about 3 and really needed a nap, but usually I wake at 8 or so after only tossing and turning all night and barely make it to noon.

It didn't do much for the creepy crawlies that set in late in the day, but hey, I'll take what I can get!

How did you do today?

Kim

workingmom1223

Post by workingmom1223 »

Hi Kim
I am so happy for you getting sleep is wonderful , i slept good again last night i went to bed about 11 and did not wake up once , my husband even noticed that i slept well he said your hair looks like it did yesterday , ( most of the time it is every where from me moving around so much ) my legs still feel very tired ( like i ran 50 miles ) but the past two nights have been wonderful .
blessings
Tonya