RLS medications; their effect on the libido

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
jumpyowl

RLS medications; their effect on the libido

Post by jumpyowl »

Well, I guess this will not be a popular topic as far as the contributors are concerned. I have not seen any on this Discussion Board. I have seen one mention of it in a discussion group and also on a private website. Both contributions were made by ladies as I would expect. The weaker, shyer gender, what a misconception :P

One said that whenever she has a spectacular orgasm (she only sees her husband on weekends) and as it is ending she is suddenly attacked by an especially intense RLS attack. She is worried that this hateful disorder is going to spoil her sex life and possibly her marriage. :(

The other lady found just the opposite (she prefers nonpharmaceutical methods of controlling RLS). One night when she was especially restless and kicking up a storm, unable to sleep nor letting her husband sleep, he came up with the typical male (?) idea: "since we are not sleeping anyway, why not make love?" She was shocked by his callousness but then grudgingly agreed.

Guess, what? her intense paresthesias stopped after love making and she finally could go to sleep. :o

Well, these incidental stories are intriguing but this is not what I was going to write about. What do we know about the effect of dopamine agonists and their presursors, as well as the anticonvulsants on the male and female libido :?:

The majority of antihypertensive medications do interfere with the performance of the male sometimes leading to temporary impotence. Heavy doses of tranquilizers, ditto. The latter also affect the female libido as far as I know.

I would guess low doses of opioids would increase rather than decrease sexual desire. The recreational drug, marijuana, which is strictly illegal in this country (and as far as I know, rarely can be described for certain specific diseases, even though it is supposed to be quite effective for RLS) also belong to this group.

Denial: I have never smoked anything not even tobacco, so I have no experience with marijuana. :(

Well, I would like to hear some input especially about dopamine agonists and anticonvulsants. You can also reach me privately, I am good at keeping professional secrets. 8)
Jumpy Owl

jumpyowl

Additional info

Post by jumpyowl »

I found this information on rlssupport@yahoogroups.com:

Nan, more people have got that problem.

I know that from reading letters in the Californian support group. The Parkinson meds have the side effect for some people to "enhance desire" and make you have very intense sex. And after that the RLS comes with a vengeance for some of us, others will sleep lake a baby; we all react differently.
Corrie

Nan is the lady I mentioned in the previous post who had an intense RLS attack subsequent to having sex.

According to Corrie (and the California group) apparently sex can have both effects on RLS making it worse or making it better. Is this not typical of RLS??? :roll:

Even the visitors are minimal at this thread. It appears that I should have composed a less outspoken title. :wink:
Jumpy Owl

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Jumpy, please do a little more research into this subject as my husband would like to know whether I should be taking these meds or not!!! (Just kidding :wink: ) As with most subjects, there are so many variables to take into consideration. For some of us, not only are RLS and RLS meds a factor, but age and general health as well as sleep deprivation contribute to a lack of desire--whether short or long term. So often, the side effects of medicines may not specifically cover what a person actually sees. Medicines affect individuals so differently. As far as the actual sex itself, can't say I've noticed increases or decreases in RLS symptoms either way. Guess I'll have to do more experimentation :lol:

sardsy75

Here's my take on this topic....

Post by sardsy75 »

Trying not to blush too much as I type!! :oops:

Being on one parkinsons med (Cabergoline) by itself for six months last year did not increase my libido.

Switched to a different parkinsons med for four weeks (bromocriptine) - had such bad RLS during that period that I think my hubby only got lucky twice!

A four month stint on two parkinsons meds (cabergoline & benzeroside/levodopa), a sedative and an anti-depressant has definitly NOT sent my libido soaring sky high.

However, when I am in the mood (which is not often enough because I am so exhausted all the time) and I can manage to keep my RLS under control for long enough, yes, the sex is great. BUT, within minutes of satisfaction, ye ol' RLS is back with a bang, and the idea of falling into a satisfied sleep in hubby's arms is not an option!

Yes, the combination of RLS, the drugs and my sapped energy levels, has very much spoilt what used to be a very healthy sex-life and has very much put a strain on our relationship.

I'm not going near the Dope topic in a public forum - it causes way too many heated "discussions".

Nadia (28.)
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

sardsy75

Drugs Definitely Had An Effect On My Libido!!!

Post by sardsy75 »

Thought it was about time to bring this subject back to light...so to speak :wink:

I have been OFF all the dopaminergic, anti-convulsant and sedatives for five weeks now.

While I was on all of those (for 10 months) my libido was well and truly on an extended vacation. If my dear hubby did manage to get me in the mood, yes I enjoyed the sex and had some great orgasms, but, the minute it was over ye ole legs would kick back in with a BANG and i'd be up pacing the house for the next couple of hours.

Now, i'm on 30mg of Endep/Elavil per night only and ... My Gawd!!! ... for the past three weeks, I've felt like a luv-struck teenager!!! My libido has returned from vacation and hubby is more than grateful!!

Think i'll stop there :oops:

Nadia
Last edited by sardsy75 on Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

jumpyowl

Fantastic!

Post by jumpyowl »

That alone made the trip worthwhile to your new neuro. :D

I am glad for both of you. Both your hubby and you deserve some joy after all that suffering. Enjoy! :wink:

Come to think of it I was not even married yet at your age! :shock:
Jumpy Owl

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

YE GADS!! You mean there can be a sex life with RLS??!! I am always just so pooped after working that I go to bed early (I also get up very early) which doesn't do anything for us in the romance department. But we adjust our "us" times accordingly. But it would be SOOO nice to have that old feeling back more than just occasionally. Hmmmm, maybe I need to rethink the old meds again. Just kidding, right now they are letting me sleep although my legs are pretty tired during the day. So guess I'll keep on these meds and try something else to spice up the love-life. Nadia, you go girl!!

jumpyowl

Stick to the old, tried and true

Post by jumpyowl »

Ruby, I admire your fortitude but I am a bit afraid for you... that you may be suffering needlessly in order not to rock the boat. Of course, we are all different and have to do things differently. And I do not know enough to make definite suggestions. :(

But I will keep an eye on you and when I think it will help, I will give you a gentle nudge. Otherwise, what are friends for? :D

I had my visit with my caretaker and will travel tomorrow to Tyler to see the pulmonologist (sleep doctor). I will have all kinds of proposition for him and can hardly wait to see what happens. If I learn something I will make sure I will pass it on, most likely in my own thread, even though is getting awfully long. :wink:

Love and ((( :oops: )))) to you and to that Australian Lovebird. :)
Jumpy Owl

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I really didn't mean to sound so flippant in my last post. :( I truly am glad that you are feeling the way you are Nadia. You are a trooper and have been through so much. You are always a great support to all of us and I treasure your friendship. Jumpy, you are probably right. I never know whether to follow my instincts, others advice or just sit back and punt. So I usually just let it go. But I value your advice and your gentle nudges are just what I need. Hugs to all and keep well. (And maybe, Nadia, I am just plain jealous! :oops: )

jumpyowl

Rubbyslipper

Post by jumpyowl »

I would say, Ruby "Follow Your Instinct." You are a warm, genuine, and intelligent person, I trust that you will do right by you! :wink:

P.S. What do you mean by "punt" ? The last time I did that was in Oxford on a boat. The chairman did most of the punting and ended up in the river (canal). (Did not want to let the pole go.) Then with true English stoicism listened to my lecture for one whole hour in his wet clothes! :roll:
Jumpy Owl

jumpyowl

Mirapex and sex

Post by jumpyowl »

I have been on Mirapex for only a few days. Last evening I had a small accident injuring my left toe nail, so I went to bed a bit early and took Mirapex after I laid down.

Well, in about 15 minutes I started to get a dull paresthesia which was quite annoying because my bundled, painful big toe made it difficult to move my legs around in bed. ( Such paresthesia probably is self-limiting and is expected to go away in 30-40 minutes.)

But I did not want to wait even that long! So I tried sex which was not easy either due to the injured toe. But one can get quite ingenious when motivated by the libido. :wink: And I am happy to report that the P diminished after the O. This experience also implies something good about Mirapex. It does not cause impotence! :)

One thing is certain, from now on I will make sure to take Mirapex about 30 minutes before going to bed and hopefully that will avoid the appearance of paresthesia. 8)
Jumpy Owl

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Ahhhhh Jumpy you sly thing you :wink:

But hey, when the libido is wanting "in" on the action, it's surprising what a little bit of imagination and ingenuity can lead to 8)

Ruby girl, I sooooo did not mean to make you jealous! :oops: I think I was in a state of "gotta tell someone about it!!" at the time.

I'm with Jumpy on his advice to you: follow your gut instinct, as nine times outta ten, it's usually right!

As for spicing up your love-live...don't be afraid to use a bit of imagination! Having a great love-life doesn't always mean having sex every night ... there are lots of other ways to enjoy each others company! :wink:
Nadia