Hello all!

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Anonymous

Hello all!

Post by Anonymous »

Hello everyone,

this is my post, so i thought i'd post a little bit about myself.. My name is Anthony, i live with my girlfriend in London, UK. I am 23 and work in the construction industry as an Estimator / Quantity Surveyor.

I only recently heard about RLS out of one of my girlfriends magazines, and was interested to find out a little more about it, as i think i may be a sufferer.

I've always been a morning person, and whenever i wake up in the morning, i can never get back to sleep. Not because of pains or anything, it's just i cant fall back to sleep, so i always get up when i wake up!.

However, now i've moved in with my girlfriend, we like to have a bit of a lay in in the mornings.

Now since i've moved in and we've been having these lay-ins, i've noticed after about half hour or so of laying in bed after waking up, my legs start to hurt, between the knee & the foot. It's a strange feeling, kind of prickly, and it does often help if i move my legs about. It definatly helps if i get up and have some breakfast.. So getting up and walking about definatly helps!

Could this be a mild case of RLS?!.. or something else?

it bothers me sometimes, but i'd really like to know the cause of this and put my mind to rest!!!..

Can anyone help!? and if it is RLS, is there anything i can do to reduce the pain rather than getting up and walking about?!

Thank you

Anthony

becat

Hello and Welcome

Post by becat »

WEll hello to you Qwest and welcome to the board.
I wanted to tell how lovely it is that you take the time to lay about. Sounds like a wonderful bit of time.
You may find yourself in some of the information here, at least recognize the symptoms. I'm going to direct you to a few postings that you may find helpful.
Yes, to me it sounds like you in a mild stage of RLS, but I can't tell you that for sure. I'm not living in your body and I'm certainly not a doctor. It's all different feeling for each of us, then too the words we use to describe it may be the difference............WHO knows. It's still more than annoying not to be able to take advantage of rest. You'll know when it's more than you feel you can handle on your own or with the tricks you use now to feel better. Thus, making you seek the help of a doctor. When that time comes education is your best weapon. You may have to help educated your doctor, as this disorder is still ignored and not well known yet. The more you educate yourself the better treatment you make sure you get. This is a progressive disorder and as yet, has no cure. Don't let that scare you too badly, it doesn't mean you destine for the worst. You may stay mild , you may be able to never need medications.
The first thing you may want to look at is the "handbook" the doctors are using to diagnosis and treat RLS. The RLS Algorithm. You may wish to print this out and take a copy with you to the doctor. It's a great way thing to leave with the doctor, a nudge of sorts into learning more.

http://www.mayo.edu/proceedings/2004/jul/7907crc.pdf

The other thing I can tell you is that if you are mild and can move to make things better, you may just need a few more coping skills in order to make things better. Jill Gunzel, the RLS REBEL has a wonderful website and even better coping skills to help in a non-pharm way.
www.rlsrebel.com
You may also find that the non-pharm thread on this board is helpful. There are many things that people try and will post about. I will tell you that you are not obligated to try any of them. And everyone is different and somethings may not work for you. They are just ideas and helpful hints to how some people choose to treat themselves. You may come up withh some on your own.
I hope I helped to answer some questions for you. "standard saying around here"......sorry you may have RLS, but glad you found us. Your with a wonderful bunch of people here.
Best wishes.