For "Akin", with the 7 year old

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Sara

For "Akin", with the 7 year old

Post by Sara »

Hello--

I've been having trouble replying to posts lately. The post reply page isn't viewing properly. I hope you will find this posted seperately.

I'm sorry to hear that your son is so uncomfortable, but so glad for HIM that you are concerned and looking for help. I have had RLS for at least 21 years (since my late teens when I remember specific episodes), and I think I had it as a child, too. Mine was not nightly until fairly recently, so I think I always attributed it to other things-- and perhaps that's why my parents didn't notice, either.

But knowing what I know now (and also just recently seeing one of our sons, 12 years old, developing symptoms) I see that my symptoms did have some patterns all along. I just didn't recognize them until they got more frequent.

I wanted to make sure that someone mentioned to you that not all RLS sufferers lose sleep over their symptoms. I am blessed to be one of the members here who sleeps relatively well. As a matter of fact, for my symptoms, our son's, and my brother-in-law's as well, the temporary "cure" for my RLS symptoms IS sleep.

For years before I heard about RLS, I thought that that twitching and creepy-crawly sensation in my feet was some "circulation problem" that was exacerbated by fatigue. Since my RLS (and this is also not uncommon) was also worse when I was over-tired or ill, it was both logical and effective for me to get into the habit of going to bed when I could no longer sit comfortably in the evenings.

Once I lay down, my symptoms get less intense, and I can usually fall asleep well, if I have good bedtime rituals, like always reading, etc. If I stay up late, it's harder to get to sleep, so more and more, I listen to my body and go to bed early. Our son and my brother-in-law also naturally got into this habit, and it works for them as well. So, if your son has a reasonably mild case, his ability to sleep does not necessarily mean he doesn't have RLS.

Also, try to pay attention to the timing of his symptoms. If he seems to have them more when he's over-tired, you might be able to help him with them a little bit by following very regular bedtimes. Also pay attention to his symptoms when he has a cold or the flu-- especially if he's taking any over the counter antihistimines. Those can make RLS symptoms worse. Our 12 year old's worst episode to date was Thanksgiving weekend,when he was riding in the car late after a family dinner and also coming down with the flu. He DID feel better, however, when he got out of the car and into bed.

I think that even if you just understand when he's likely to have more trouble, and can give him extra support at that time, it may help a bit. There are lots of members here who remember being scolded for their wiggliness as kids by parents who had no idea that they really COULDN'T help stretching and jiggling and pressing their feet and jerking and such. If you DO understand that there's a good reason, you'll be much better able to respond in an appropriate manner. Looking back now, we think maybe our son was having bits and pieces of RLS earlier, too, and we're thankful that we weren't harsh with him for being a little fidgetier than maybe we'd have preferred. :wink:

I hope that the doctors can give you some support. I don't know if your son's situation is serious enough for medications yet, or if the docs have anything they'd feel safe to use. But do keep in mind what Becat and others have said about there being lots of options in non-pharmaceutical strategies as well. I'm unmedicated, and living well still. A good sensible bedtime routine and perhaps a hot bath before bed has been my best defense for years, even before I knew what I was defending against.

Lately my symptoms have progressed in frequency, but not necessarily in intensity... so the future isn't necessarily bleak, even for one so young. Awareness on your part is at least a really really good start.

Wishing you and your son good care and good luck in finding effective coping strategies.
Sara :D