RLS AND DEPRESSION

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
jumpyowl

RLS AND DEPRESSION

Post by jumpyowl »

Here is the new, depressed Jumpy Owl :oops: who is starting a new thread, due to a major change in his life. Much of the relevant stuff is extremely private, so I will not be as open as I were in the past. Still I am accumulating and discovering interesting information which I think I should share with you all as it might be interesting and useful to some of you at least.

During the night following my 70th birthday, I packed a few thing including my trusty laptop and drove to my son's apartment in a town about 50 miles from my home. I left a letter telling my family that I need some privacy to think things over and to feel better mentally and physically. In reality I felt entrapped and began to realize that instead of helping my wife (who was diagnosed with clinical depression two years ago) or my daughter (whose fibromyalgia was getting worse instead of leveling off or getting better) I am also feeling gradually worse and worse.

I started to feel better after a few days so I made an appointment and went to see my wife's ex-doctor. It took him about 5 minutes to diagnose me with major depression. Bursting into tears in his office I most likely helped to establish that diagnosis.

He put me on Remeron a tetracyclic antidepressant.

Mirtazapine (Remeron) is a structural analogue of the off-patent mianserin (Bolvidon). It is a comparatively new drug - a so-called NaSSA. By blocking the inhibitory presynaptic alpha2 adrenergic autoreceptors and stimulating only the 5-HT1A receptors, mirtazapine enhances noradrenaline and serotonin release while also blocking two specific (5-HT2 and 5-HT3) serotonin receptors implicated in dark moods and anxiety. By contrast, stimulation of the 5-HT2A receptors accounts for the initial anxiety, insomnia and sexual dysfunction sometimes reported with the SSRIs; stimulation of the 5-HT3 receptors causes nausea. Mirtazapine is a potent blocker of the histamine H1 receptors, too. So it tends to have a somewhat sedative effect. This profile may be good for agitated depressives and insomniacs.

I was surprised at his diagnosis. I am sure I appeared unhappy at the moment as I did not feel too hot about deserting my family, but I was not sure I had clinical depression. But again I was not quite sure about the definition and the diagnostic methods of depression.

So I went back to the apartment and started to research it. First I took several depression tests. One was as follows:

Depression Symptoms

• Feelings of sadness and/or irritability x
• Loss of interest or pleasure in activities normally enjoyed
• Changes in weight or appetite
• Changes in sleeping pattern x
• Feelings of guilt, hopelessness, or worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate, remember things, or make decisions x
• Constant fatigue or loss of energy x
• Observable restlessness or decreased activity
• Recurrent thoughts of suicide or death

In addition, look for at least three of the following symptoms, which could indicate the manic phase of manic-depression:
• Inflated ego, envisioning of grand schemes
• Increased energy and decreased need for sleep
• Inappropriate excitement or irritability
• Increased talking and/or moving
• Sexual promiscuity
• Disconnected and racing thoughts
• Impulsive behavior and poor judgment

Comment: This is only four positive answers and two of them: changes of sleeping pattern may be explained by the diagnosis of RLS/PLMD and so is the fatigue and loss of energy. That leaves only two positive answers and to be depressed would take at least 5.

I also took an on-line questionnaire that printed out a letter to one's doctor. Here is the reply I received:

Your Final Report

According to your answers on the Depression Test, the concerns that you have about your health are not the result of an depression problem. However, it is important to remember that the Depression Test is not a substitute for professional advice and the Depression Test Final Report is not a diagnosis.

If you have serious concerns about your health, we strongly encourage you to talk to your doctor about them.

So according to these test I did not have clinical depression. From time to time I could have at least some the symptoms but with one major difference. For example:

Yes, I feel in a situation that is hopeless. But it is hopeless or at least I am unable to find a solution.

My chronically ill daughter needs me and would get worse if she thought I am abandoning her.

Anyone can be made to feel worthless if verbally abused long enough, even if logic tells otherwise. It is tough when one cannot please the loved ones no matter how hard one would try. Would that cause depression?
or only simple unhappiness? Are they the same?

Briefly the question is: if one has an identifiable reason for one's unhappiness, is it depression or not. It is now known that unhappiness, drastic loss (death in the family) can cause the same chemical imbalance in the brain and the CNS than depression can (low serotonin levels). Mourning however is a natural process....

http://www.clinical-depression.co.uk/program.html
Then I found a website "uncommon knowledge" that opened my eyes and taught me things about depression (see link above):

Today it is generally believed that depression is caused by chemical imbalance in the brain and the CNS and thus is a disease.

However, after careful analysis, it appears that it is the other way around:

[b]Depression causes the chemical imbalance in the brain, so it is a symptom rather than the cause of the affliction.[/b]

So what is depression? Can we understand it?

Understanding Depression

THE first step towards overcoming depression is understanding it. What it is, how it works, and what it does to us.

UNTIL NOW, it has been difficult to link the psychological elements of clinical depression to the physical symptoms.

Now, however, a new breakthrough so profound has changed our ideas of what depression actually is.

And this breakthrough makes depression much, much easier to treat.
It shows us exactly what we have to do to halt depression in its tracks.
And precisely what will stop it coming back.

It removes all uncertainty, and most of the fear from depression.

Depression, Dreaming and Exhaustion:The New Link

How your thoughts affect you physically

"Depressed people dream up to three times as much as non-depressed people."

This is a startling, and illuminating fact. And when combined with a recent breakthrough in dream and depression research by Joseph Griffin of the European Therapy Studies Institute, it gives us a clear understanding of the how depression affects us physically.

The cycle of depression starts with depressive thinking style. On the negative aspects of things, and depressing thoughts one would keep ruminating. This brings about stress that is not ressolved. These open loops have to be ressolved by the brain which it does during extensive REM periods at night. This is hard work for the brain and it occurs at the expense of the deep, relaxing sleep phases. So one wakes up exhausted and fatigued in the morning, or early in the morning.

The continued stress shows up in increased cortisol level in one's blood (the stress hormone).

The Key Understanding about Dreams and Depression is thus:

When unfulfilled emotional arousal remains in the brain's limbic system at sleep onset, the brain creates scenarios that allow those loops to complete. We call them dreams.

The dream acts out, in metaphor, a situation that will allow the emotional loop to be completed and therefore 'flushed' from the brain.
In other words, an imaginary experience whose pattern resembles the 'real life' one closely enough to create the same emotional reaction.
For example, during the day you worry about what someone has said to you, thinking that they were perhaps criticising or making fun of you. That night you have an anxiety dream where someone stabs at you with daggers and you try to run away. The dream allows your system to complete the loop started by the emotional arousal.

Depressive thinking styles mean more arousal

Depressive thinking styles will tend to cause more negative emotional arousal, and therefore more dreaming. This extra dreaming is to try to 'clear the brain' for the next day, but because our negative arousals are excessive when depressed, our natural rhythms find it hard to cope with this "over-dreaming":

Why is over-dreaming bad for me?

Basically, because dreaming is hard work.

Dreaming itself is not a restful activity. Dreaming is called 'paradoxical sleep' because brain wave patterns are similar to those of the brain when completely awake.

Dreaming is a state of arousal.

As far as much of your brain is concerned, your dream is real. So adrenaline and other stress hormones in your system will be active in the body.

This is a double edged sword, because over-dreaming, as well as using up these hormones and energy, is actually making it harder for the body to make more. As you try to flush out the incomplete emotions, you spend more time in REM sleep, and therefore less time in deep sleep, when your body should be recuperating in preparation for producing these hormones for the next day.

So if you are over-dreaming you're not resting but flooding your system with adrenaline and other stress hormones. If most of your sleep consists of dreams, your body and mind will begin to feel very tired during the day. Depressed people often report that the worst time of day is first thing in the morning.

Sometimes a depressed person may start waking up early in the morning and not be able to get back to sleep. This may be a way of the body trying to cut down on over-dreaming in order to try and lift depression.

Yes, I started to wake up at 4 am, then 2-3 am at night and felt wide awake.

In the meantime I went to see my neurologist, Dr. G. to whom I delivered a bunch of materials from the National Meeting of RLS. She has been treating me for Restless Leg Syndrome. I asked her whether it is true depression if someone has a readily identifiable reason to be depressed which is real (as opposed to be imagined). G. commented that depression can often result in anger, hostility, irritability. This hostility then often is aimed at the person closest to us.

The material I delivered to her (including my discovery of frequency reversal between sensations and pain going from location legs then arms, to lower back and feet). Now she realizes that there can be pain in RLS that goes away with movements, and also pain that does not evolve from paresthesia, typically lower back pain. So now finally she asked me how much hydrocodone I would want (she refuses to prescribe it before). One small victory! :)

Interestingly once I started on Remeron I have moderately severe lower back ache. Doctor A did not want to prescribe Wellbutrin because it makes one hyper, and I am hyper enough. BTW one of the rare side effect of Remeron lower back ache.

How to treat depression or depression-like symptoms?

Antidepressants

If you're taking or considering taking depression medication, there are important things you need to know.

"Regarding depression as 'just' a chemical imbalance wildly misconstrues the disorder. It is not possible to explain either the disease or its treatment based solely on levels of neurotransmitters," says Yale University neurobiologist Ronald Duman, PhD

Yet this is exactly how antidepressants purport to work - by treating levels of neurotransmitters. By understanding how antidepressants work, we can see how they treat a symptom of depression, not the root of the depression, and are therefore ineffective in one to two thirds of sufferers.
We also saw another reason that antidepressants sometimes work, thanks to a recent discovery in the field of dream research.

This also explains why antidepressants have such a high rate of relapse, compared to other effective therapies for depression.

However, one does not have to be anti-drug, just has to realize its limitations so one can choose the best treatment for oneself.

So what else is there that works for depression?

I will discuss it in my next post as I am now trying this other path!

By the way, until recently I thought that my secondary RLS was triggered by change in medications that have been taken for literally decades. Now I am wondering that depression can also cause RLS instead of the other way around?Do you all remember the guy who was "cured" of his RLS after he bought a memory foam mattress AND after his wife left him?

I apologize for the length of this initial post of this thread. I hope it makes some sense to some of you. :?:
Jumpy Owl

becat

(((((((((((JUMPYOWL))))))))))

Post by becat »

Jumpy,
I know how difficult this must be on you. I'm so sorry. I wish I had a big eraser to wipe your pain away. Living away from your family, I'm very sure is not easy for you.
However, I was getting worried about you and the stresses effecting your health. I'm glad you decided to take some action, in care of yourself. There is not a one of us here that don't understand needing to gain a little control for yourself. I'm sorry it came to this for you to do so. Your heart must be full of self doubt and worry, but don't do that to yourself. You need some healing yourself. You lead us still, to a new, higher understanding.
I'm better for having gotten the chance to know you. You've taught me so much more than about RLS. Seeing you in Long Beach and getting to give you a hug was big deal. I'm big on hugs, they go a long way when words aren't enough.
My heart weeps for your troubles, but I know your the kind of man to work it all out. Even if that takes some time.
My thoughts and prayers are with you. My love is never far away.
God Bless you and my he bring you Peace. beke, szintén, tetszetõs vakációs

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

Dear Jumpy, First let me say to you how proud I am to be called a friend of yours. I admire and respect you so much for speaking out about depression. I don't think you realize that you have opened a heavy door for many men in this forum. Depression is a womens problem'''real men"" don't get it. Men can not and do not talk about it. This is my opinion of coarse. Jumpy I am 51 years of age and I would say at least 35 of them I was depressed. What is depression??? For me it was living in a deep black hole that I could never get out of. Yes I could sometimes almost get to the top,only to fall to the bottom again over and over and over again. In a crowd I always felt alone. Being happy scared the crap out of me, I was sure if I enjoyed myself someone would die. Many doctors over the many years said I had depression. I started to believe them.

Honest to God for me the hour I stoped drinking I stoped being depressed.Now I don't know why but I started getting closer to the edge of that hole and one day I hit the top and I have been out ever since!!!! Ya I still get really sad and lonley and I find myself falling in the hole but today the BIG difference is I get out. I can't tell you anything about what really was going on in my brain cause I don"t believe for one second that any doctor any where really knows. You tell them your symtoms and they say yup your depressed, man you need some antidepression meds. Please don't mis understand me. I was on meds many years and they made me better, down in that hole.

Today my feelings are this GOD MADE US ALL different. Some people can live and deal with things that would kill me. I can do things that others could never do. The one thing I have learned in this journey of mine is that the way I talk to myself and treat myself is the way I will live.

Jumpy your plate is full!!!! You and your family are stuggling and dealing with big things. Life is so hard some times and so easy others. I stopped trying to figure it out and things started falling in place. But the **** could hit the fan any day so......... Yesterday I spent the day withmy stepmom in the ER (crying) seeing her lay there so tiny and sick. Our lifes are so short. She has respatory problems (big smoker until yesterday). It just made me not want to loose any more time with anyone healthy or sick. When I go I want to have said I love you as my last words to people.

I hope some of this has made since, I can't say I know what you are going through cause I don't is't your journey. GOD BLESS YOU JUMPY. keep that chin up and know that I love you~~~~~~~~~~~~~Lyndarae

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

JUMPY, It's me again, I'm sitting here listening to the Moody Blues, and here are my last words of wisdom for today. The song Nights In White Satin.... Just what you want to be you will be in the end. I can't think of a better way to say it than that can you?? Just what the truth is I can't say anymore!!!!hummmmmmm

Sara

Post by Sara »

Jumpy, honey--

What you've said about depression and its cause/effect quandry is quite similar to what they say about anxiety, so I've asked many of the questions you're asking, I can tell you.

It seems it can't ONLY be situational, because people with very "happy" lives sometimes get depressed, and people with seemingly very "depressing" lives sometimes are the most happy and resilient people. And it can't ONLY be chemical, because life circumstances DO also tend to sometimes play a part.

Chronic anxiety tends to be the same. And its something that makes it usually take a multi-faceted approach to deal with, successfully. I've been working on the right balance for a long time, but finally feel that I understand it, at least at a practical day-to-day gut level at least. I believe you'll find a path you can follow that will work for you.

So...no advice except this... don't underestimate the potential help of diet/nutrition and exercise in any brain chemical problem.... and other that that, just BIG HUGS.

You'll be on my mind.

Sara

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Jumpy, like Becat it was a pleasure and priviledge to meet you in Long Beach. You have been such a support and life-line to many of us with your research and wisdom. I was honored to know that you cared who I was and what I was going through. I only got to hug you once and give a quick kiss on the cheek but meeting you added so much to what respect I have for you. You are a good man who is very sensitive, so what you are going through is even tougher because of that. Depression is only somewhat more understanded than RLS. But I guarantee that with you doing the research, we'll all understand it a little better soon. Please know that we care about you and what you are going through. Don't be so hard on yourself. You are intelligent and caring, you will find a way through this. Call on us, your friends. We're here just like you have been for us so often in the past. Jumpy, we need you not just because you do research like no other, but because of who you are. Please keep us posted on your journey. We love you. Ruby

jan3213

JUMPY---

Post by jan3213 »

It's Jan

My heart goes out to you, because I know, as much as anyone can, what you are going through, Jumpy. And, I'm so sorry that you are suffering. I have been clinically depressed--in that deep, dark hole that Lyn described. And, during my first therapy session, I was embarassed, and even apologetic--I felt weak and unable to "handle life". My therapist reminded me that I would seek medical help if I was a diabetic or had some other physical problem. She said that depression is no different. I needed help. So do you, right now, Jumpy--it's not a sign of weakness, nothing to be embarassed about. The most important thing is to take care of YOU, Jumpy.

My therapist felt that my depression was due to a chemical imbalance AND was also caused by things I had exprienced in my life--even as far back as my early childhood. She also said that the tendency to become depressed is hereditary. Several of my relatives, including my own mother, have suffered from depression. My grandfather's was so severe, he committed suicide.

This post is not all about me, Jumpy. I am relaying the above information in hopes that it will help you to realize that depression is nothing to be ashamed of. It is an illness--a mental illness--really no different than any other illness you might have except it effects how you feel about yourself and robs you of happiness.

And, as usual, Jumpy, you continue to help others, even in the midst of your own turmoil. The information you posted on dreaming was fascinationg--it was as if you were talking about me!! I have ALWAYS had a very active dream life--always able to remember my dreams and, even having several dreams a night. This information helps me understand my own problem so much more!! Thank you.

Finally--Jumpy, please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I didn't get to meet you in November, but my friends, Becat and Ruby, told me what a great person you are. This board is wonderful, but you don't get to know the "real person" you are communicating with. Even though I didn't get to meet you, I feel that I now know the "real" you! You are a wonderful, giving person who just happens to be one of the most intelligent people I have ever know. Ruby summed it up just right when she said:

Jumpy, we need you not just because you do research like no other, but because of who you are.

We are your friends, and we DO love you, Jumpy. Please remember that. The most important thing for you to do right now is take care of YOU!!! Take care, and, as others have said, please keep us posted!!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

jumpyowl

Behaviorial and Cognitive Therapy

Post by jumpyowl »

First I want to express my appreciation for the "straight from the heart" supportive posts from Becat, Lyndarae, Sara, Rubyslipper, and Jan. Wonderful and very helpful posts!!! They made me :D !

First of all I want to make it clear that I am suffering no longer as the worst time periods when I felt entrapped and did not know what to do is over! Thank God and the support of so many wonderful people. I also have never thought that depression is something shameful. I thought of it as a gray area which now is mostly treated by medication. And Jan is right. I am posting my saga through this affliction more to share any insights with you all than gather sympathy. As one of the afflicted (possibly) I am a fully accredited player in the field and learning and finding out things is always a joyous experience for me. Really...! I am not just being brave! :wink:

As I promised I will write about the treatment of depression by counseling, which - if done right - is successful in 80-85% of the cases and the "cure" is longer lasting.

THERAPEUTIC COUNSELING

Key Understanding

"Counseling or therapy for depression should be time-limited, future-oriented, active and focused on learning skills rather than personality change."

Counseling or therapy that is effective in overcoming depression focuses on:
• What we do. (Behavioral therapy)
• How we think about things. (Cognitive therapy)
• How we relate to others. (Interpersonal therapy)
• How things are going to be better in the future. (Solution focused therapy)
• Getting our basic emotional needs met in the wider world
• Helping you find solutions to your immediate problems

And NOT on why you are depressed, or what went wrong in the past. These types of therapy, far from overcoming depression, will tend to make it worse. A combination of these above approaches has been shown to work best.

During my second session I managed (unfortunately) to put the psychiatrist on the defensive. ( As soon as I noticed I backed off.) He believes that it is a brain chemical imbalance problems and to prescribe a proper AD is the solution. In many cases (about 1/3rd) it is so, and in another third AD's provide partial help. But it should not be used for long periods of time because of the damage they can cause in the brain cells and other side effects.)

In the same building there were two counselors, so he told me to choose. I chose one with a Central European background thinking if my wife ever decides to go to one, she and my wife would get along better.

We already had one session where mostly I talked (typical :oops: ). I asked her what methods she uses:

Margaret Th. M.A., L.P.C.: Rational Emotive Therapy and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

She has a masters in clinical psychology and a counselor degree.

She is soft spoken, intelligent and well trained. It is clearly not a business rather a profession with her. I will have a second session with her early next week.

Now a bit more about what such a therapy would entail:

Behavioral therapy for depression

The basic idea of behavioral theory is that everything amounts to behavior and inner processes are of little or no account. So if people feel miserable it is because of their behavior. Traditional behavioral therapists are less interested in the thoughts and emotions of their patients and more concerned with their behavior as can be observed.

Cognitive therapy for depression

Cognitive therapy works on the basic premise that all emotion comes from thoughts. For example: If you think about something scary, you will feel fear.

Basically, the idea behind cognitive therapy is that people learn to 'catch' their thoughts and challenge them so that they can feel differently.
Working on your thinking styles is absolutely essential if you suffer from depression. Any therapist or counselor who does not address this with you is going about it the wrong way!

Recent studies of how the brain works have shown that certain emotions occur before thoughts and it is possible to be afraid of something before we can think what it is. However cognitive therapy, if applied skillfully, has done very well in the research for lifting and preventing relapse of depression.

(The danger with cognitive therapy is that it becomes too complex for the patient to understand, so it must be applied with skill, and with consideration for the patient's way of learning.)

Well, that sounds like another challenge and she does work through emotions as well. (I asked her)

Interpersonal therapy for depression

This approach focuses on the way people relate with other people in their lives - how they communicate and express themselves. Whether a person is assertive, aggressive or timid or has 'social skills' is seen as key.
Extremely common in depression sufferers is the lack of satisfaction in various relationships: family, work, social. Depression can cause us to lose access to the skills and the desire to sustain these relationships successfully.

Whether it be feelings of wanting to be alone, not knowing what to say, or just feeling wretched and not wanting to be in company, a large percentage of depression sufferers exhibit what is crudely called "poor social skills" such as:

• Being less assertive
• Being less positive
• Showing negative facial expressions and poor eye contact
• Displaying less interaction in group situations
• Unwittingly carrying out 'off-putting' social behavior such as inappropriate questioning, too much or too little self-disclosure, or missing out small-talk.

Again this therapy can be seen as practical, sensible and very helpful for some people as communication skills are 'teachable'.

This may be important but it is not the whole story. The following one is however, promising:

Solution focused therapy for depression

As it's name suggests, the emphasis here is on finding solutions to current problems and focusing on future wellness rather than past hurts. This is not to say that the past is ignored but the main emphasis is on teaching new skills and keeping therapy brief and focused.

It is an extremely hopeful and motivational form of therapy when applied skillfully.

One has to watch out for counselors of the old school:

Less effective types of depression counseling

Probably the most famous type of psychotherapy is psychodynamic counseling. It's vital that we understand why certain types of depression counseling are ineffective in treating depression, and are likely to make it worse.

This approach evolved out of the work of Sigmund Freud. One of the main ideas is that most behavior is unconsciously motivated and much of our current behavior comes from repressed childhood conflicts. (An extremely dubious premise). Psychodynamic counseling has performed very poorly as far as its effectiveness (efficacy) is concerned.

People, it is believed, need 'insight', before they can change. This means that you have to understand why they are depressed before you can get better. On the face of it, this seems perfectly reasonable, particularly as it seems to match the natural human response to a problem - to find out why.

However, in depression, this style of thinking will tend to make the depression worse. You don't need to be encouraged to do it by your counselor.

The problems with this type of counseling for depression are many:

1. The focus is predominantly on the past. Depressed people do this plenty already.
2. One main idea is to discover 'the reason why'. There is rarely any single 'reason why' with depression (or any problem), and even if there were, discovering it does not make the depression go away. (If, that is, there was any way to be sure you had the right 'reason why'!) It's called 'psychological archaeology'.

3. Both 1 and 2 increase rumination. Going back over past hurts causes more emotional arousal and gives you more to worry about not less

4. The counselor using this type of approach is often trained to give little or no direction to the client. This is counter to treatment guidelines.

Also from 4, this type of counseling has no fixed time period, and is usually totally passive.

I will be sure to share what insights she will come up with next time. Two things she brought up the first time: interpersonal abuse whether it is physical or mental should not be tolerated, and that even people with severe depression should understand that there are consequences to their actions.

Certainly make sense to me. :)

I am on the following medications at present:

Remeron 30 mg 1x (evening) does help sleeping

Mirapex 0.5 mg 3x daily

Hydrocodone 10mg/650mg once at night.

It appears that (especially initially) I have a rare side effect of Remeron:

lower back pain. So hydrocodone also helps with that.

I have been low on energy but the stress is much less and gradually I feel better and better.

My younger son is flying in from Chicago, and the family (except my married daughter) will spend Christmas eve and day together!

Gloria in excelsis Deo et in terram pax hominibus bonem voluntatis! :)

Can't deny my four years of latinheritage in high school. :wink:

God bless you all!
Last edited by jumpyowl on Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumpy Owl

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Jumpy, it's Jan

I'm so glad you're feeling better. The first step in helping me with my depression was admitting to myself that I needed professional help and realizing that, as we both already know, I wasn't weak--my depression was no different than any other illness. My therapist has the same credentials as you have described: she was also soft spoken and (this is VERY important) we were extremely compatible.

My therapist used two forms of therapy: cognitive and solution based. However, she did touch on my past slightly by talking about my schema--how some of my patterns of thinking were "set" when I was a young child. She explained cognitive therapy in such a way that I understood completely what she was talking about.

She had me journal every day, and, like you, she had me talk and talk. She as very skillful in helping me think and analyze my thoughts and VERY skillfull in asking the right questions so that I talked about things that were bothering me with complete ease. The first stages were painful--I honestly felt worse after the first two sessions. But, you have to get to the root of the problem before you start to heal.

She had me read two books: The Search for Significance and Boundaries. I'm sorry, I don't remember the authors. The titles of both book are pretty self-explanatory. She didn't feel that I needed Behavorial Therapy because my social skills were not impaired.

She gave me exercises to practice until they became part of my daily thinking, and I still use those exercises when I need them. Because depression "runs in my family", I will always have to be aware of what can happen.

I had a very positive experience with therapy and will use it again if the need arises. I have gone in for a session or two to "boost" what I have learned. Again, I'm only relaying my past experiences so that you will know what I have been through and what worked for me. I really tried to keep this post short (HONEST!!), but I see that it is longer than I intended it to be. Sorry!!

Thank you again, Jumpy, for being so candid. You never know who you might have helped by your willingness to share!!

Much love,

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

Jumpy, I'm just wondering if your doc talked to you at all about the new medication for depression called Cymbalta or duloxetine? I am just hereing about it myself it is suppose to help with diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain. And other things as well. I hope you are doing well my thoughts and prayers are with you.~~~~~~~~Lyndarae

jumpyowl

Hello, Lyndadare!

Post by jumpyowl »

It always amazes me that doctors are so willing to prescribe new medications even if the approval by FDA was hurried and strange events surround the final clinical testing.

Let me give you some quote from the manufacturer's description (Eli Lilly):

Cymbalta from Canada (duloxetine hydrochloride) is a selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SSNRI) for oral administration. Cymbalta should be administered at a total dose of 40 mg/day (given as 20 mg twice daily) to 60 mg/day (given either once a day or as 30 mg BID) without regard to meals. There is no evidence that doses greater than 60 mg/day confer any additional benefits. Cymbalta has also demonstrated rapid relief of anxiety symptoms associated with depression . Duloxetine affects a broad spectrum of depression symptoms, which include emotional and painful physical symptoms as well as anxiety. Cymbalta is indicated for the treatment of major depressive disorder (MDD).

Read this carefully:it is a warning of sort "Patients and their families should be encouraged to be alert to the emergence of anxiety, agitation, panic attacks, insomnia, irritability, hostility, impulsivity, akathisia, hypomania, mania, worsening of depression, and suicidal ideation, especially early during antidepressant treatment. Such symptoms should be reported to the patient’s physician, especially if they are severe, abrupt in onset, or were not part of the patient’s presenting symptoms. "

The efficacy of Cymbalta has been established in 8- and 9-week placebo-controlled trials of outpatients who met DSM-IV diagnostic criteria for major depressive disorder.

CYMBALTA (Duloxetine) is associated with the following side effects: Nausea, Dry mouth, Constipation, Diarrhea, Vomiting, Metabolism and Nutrition Disorders, Appetite decreased, Weight decreased, Fatigue, Dizziness, Somnolence,Tremor, Sweating increased, hot flushes, Vision blurred, Insomnia, Anxiety, Libido decreased, Orgasm abnormal, Erectile dysfunction, delayed ejaculation. Concomitant use of Cymbalta (Duloxetine) in patients taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) is contraindicated.

Prescriptions for Cymbalta should be written for the smallest quantity of capsules consistent with good patient management, in order to reduce the risk of overdose. If the decision has been made to discontinue treatment, medication should be tapered, as rapidly as is feasible, but with recognition that abrupt discontinuation can be associated with certain symptoms.

Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors (MAOI) — In patients receiving a serotonin reuptake inhibitor in combination with a monoamine oxidase inhibitor, there have been reports of serious, sometimes fatal, reactions including hyperthermia, rigidity, myoclonus, autonomic instability with possible rapid fluctuations of vital signs, and mental status changes that include extreme agitation progressing to delirium and coma. These reactions have also been reported in patients who have recently discontinued serotonin reuptake inhibitors and are then started on an MAOI.

In summary, Lyndarae it is a new drug and there are some ugly rumors circulating about the drug. The most schocking is that a 19 year old woman committed suicide at or near Eli Lilly during the clinical trial and she had no serious mental problems previously. Both the company and FDA say that it was just coincidental and not due to the drug (however, see the warning).

The use of the drug for pain is even most recent.

I would probably try it but would watch out for the side effects. It is almost certain that in some people it will aggravate RLS, although it is not a dopamine antagonist, but its increases two other neurotransmitters which will be in competition with dopamine.

If you are taking a depressant of MAO inhibitor type than DO NOT TAKE CYMBALTA!!!! Too dangerous!

It could help with pain especially if the pain is caused by depression. But it can also cause insomnia among other things. And if you smoke, then the risk is greater for you to get some serious side effect.

I read your long post, and I am surprised at the head of the clinic.

Prescribing a drug for pain does not make one a chronic pain clinic but it is actually legally dangerous for a doctor to prescribe pain killers (part of our anti drug war mentality). However, they are free to do so and he/she will be found blameless even if they prescribe 4-5 antidepressants all at once with a tranquilizer. That makes a biochemical nightmare out of the brain and CNS.

Sorry for the long story. The idea is that be careful when taking it.
Wish you the best!!!
Jumpy Owl

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

WELL Jumpy, I would take your advice over theirs any time of the day!!! Im so sick of this. They told me about 3 or 4 months ago that they would see me through this and work with me. I was just getting ready to go to a sleep center that knows about RLS and deals with it because of money problems I believed them and stayed now this!!!!! Im not going to sit here and do nothing this is a small town and I am going to be heard one way or the other. This here is a true story. On the news last night there is a story about a women who is homeless and suffering from depression and GOD only knows what else. She has no money or support. Here is what she did. NO JOKE She walked into a bank and told them she was there to rob them. The cashier called the police. This women said that she figured she could get three squares in jail and a bed to sleep in!!!!!! Well this got the attention of the community indeed. There is now a fund raiser going on to help her out and get her on her feet. I am spechless!!~~~~~~~~~~~~Lyndarae

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Lyndarae, that story is appalling. In one of the wealthiest countries in the world, no less.

If you can manage it financially, go for that sleep center. Now, that you have to go through this is also appalling. That some of us, and many of us working, are unable to get health insurance at affordable rates. Whether because we are underemployed, unemployed, or self-employed, it is IMHO, plain old wrong.

Ann

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

Hey Ann, I am doing just that I made an appointment for Jan.the 5th. Health West is going to hear from me tho. My sister was right there with me in August when they told me they were going to treat me no matter what blah blah blah, they just want to put me on a drug and let me test it out!!!! I don't think so not this time!!!~~~~~~~~Lyndarae

jumpyowl

May I?

Post by jumpyowl »

act as a devil's advocate for a second. Remember that to find the right cocktail for each of us, one has to experiment! So from time to time we have to be our own guinea pig.

That does not mean that one has to do the experimentation blindly. Clinicians often know less than us because they have no time to research each drug in depth and the truth is hard or impossible to find.

So whatever is known (not enough I am sad to say) has to be taken into consideration. I was just telling you what to look out for.

IMHO I think they mean well and are proceeding to the best of their ability and think that their intention is good. I am doing some learned guessing myself.

Do you smoke Lyndarae? If so, you can mention this to them nicely. Above all do not be hostile. It is not easy for them either. Just look out for the risks and protect yourself.

I really think (taking into account August's events) that these folks are trying to help. If you could refresh my memory on what cocktail you are on now and (from your experience) what you would like to be on, perhaps I can be more specific!

Yes, I care about you and every fellow RLS sufferer.

I also agree with Anne :) .
Jumpy Owl