RLS getting worse when sick?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Kujie

RLS getting worse when sick?

Post by Kujie »

My RLS strikes normally a few times a month, and keeps me up a good part of the night, but because it is so infrequent, it isn't too bad.

However, when I get a cold, or the flu, or any kind of sickness it gets much worse, to the point where it is near occurring for a full day. I can't sleep, I spend most of the day just walking around. It gets to the point where I am so mentally exhausted and sleepy I can barely muster the strength to move, but the legs just keep on truckin'. Is there any viable reason for it getting worse at those times?

Thanks!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

The only reason I can think of is that you are taking cold medicine. These often exacerbate RLS. Go here and go the the Southern Cal support group link

http://beta.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=549

It has a card you can download to carry in your wallet that lists medicines to avoid.

Hope you feel better soon.

Ann

Sara

Post by Sara »

Kujie--

Ann's suggestion about cold meds is one logical explanation. Many of us here have noticed that, and it seems to be well-documented "officially", as well.

I would like to say, however, that I also believe that there IS some other connection, because even when I don't take cold or allergy meds, I TEND (not every single time, but most times) to have at least SOME increase in my RLS symptoms.

My theory, for what it's worth, :wink: is that, for me at least, it has to do with the fatigue that usually accompanies illness. If I'm overtired and NOT sick, I'll tend to have worse RLS symptoms, so it doesn't surprise me that when my body is tired from fighting illness, they might also be increased.

In defense of that idea, two weeks ago, I came down with a horrible case of the flu, and because my sons were on Christmas vacation (so my "duties" were minimal) and because I wanted to be well in time to spend Christmas with my in-laws, I rested a LOT. I went to bed early every night, I napped every day. At the worst, I was actually so dizzy, I HAD to stay in bed three whole days! And even when I felt somewhat better, I still took a nap every day until I was sure I was completely over it.

I did also end up taking both decongestant and antihistimine (as well as expectorant), but interestingly I had almost no RLS.... UNTIL Christmas Eve night-- the first day I'd NOT taken a nap and when we had to drive an hour and a half home late in the evening.

It SEEMS to me that the most logical reason I was able to get through that flu with such minimal RLS has to be because I was not as over-tired as I usually am when I am ill.

I'm sorry that your RLS gets SO bad when you're ill. That must be devastating! I'm fortunate that although my RLS is frequent, it's still mild enough that I CAN sleep, IF I go to bed as soon as my RLS starts. But I can empathize with your experiences, because the earliest memory I have that I'm SURE was RLS was once when I was 18 and had a very serious case of the flu. My husband's lucky I didn't push or kick the floor of his VW bug completely OUT that night on two-hour drive home for the weekend! I was just about frantic the whole way... and when I got home, I could barely walk into the house and collapse on the bed.

Take care.
Sara :D

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the advice. I cut out the cold medication and just took Advil, but it is still there - to the point that if I sleep, it has to be sitting up, my legs can't take the elevation. I miss my bed.

In my research, I've found that Paxil may increase my symptoms, but I took it for years with no problem until now though.

Going to the doctor in a few days, we'll see what he says. He's generally very understanding and appreciate of my self-diagonsis' and research, so hopefully he can help me out.

It creeps me out that it says RLS only gets worse with age - I'm 18. :(

Kujie

Post by Kujie »

And that post would belong to me. :oops:

becat

We're With ya

Post by becat »

Hi Kujie,
Guess what, it freaks the rest of us out too. :D
Your lucky that you have a doctor that welcomes your research and thoughts about treatments. You may like to print out the RLS Algorithm. It's a guide line for diagnosis and treatment. Take a copy to your doc's appt., it may prove helpful.
I know about feeling badly and having no choices in medications. I have been lucky this year and avoided major illness. I wasn't so lucky the 2 years before. The flu over Christmas of 2003, and in 2002 a case of pheumonia that went misdiagnosised for some 3 weeks. All the medications they gave me, minus the antibiotics were RLS killers. I had to keep moving and couldn't get the air to do so. I know better now, as do you and Sara......it's a lesson that benefits us all because you have shared it. Thank you both, this being the flu season others will have an edge. I will tell you for the future that elderberry extract is good to take when you have a virus, i.e. like the flu. The earlier you take it the less you may suffer. Not only the symptoms but the time it last. It helped me this year.
I hope you both feel better soon. Glad you found us.