no symptoms

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
De De

no symptoms

Post by De De »

I don't get it-for 2 days I had no symptoms at all and then yesterday it came back full blast. I am trying to see if there was anything that I did differently but the only thing I can think of is that I was active the 2 days that there were no symptoms. Either that took my mind off of "it" or being active really helps.
De De

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Dx2, This sure is a strange condition but like other it seems to come and go or get better or worse in spurts for many of us. Weather seems a big factor. I think you are on the right track in looking back to see what might be a predisposing factor in your change. I would be delighted if just returning to more regular activity would turn the rls back off for you. We should all be so lucky. Anyway, hope things get better and let us know how it goes.

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Who knows, De De, what makes it come and what makes it go. What you eat, the weather, how much activity you're doing... Just try to enjoy it when it's not there!
Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

RLS is weird stuff....

Over time, I was able to determine what "set" me off. And for years, if I avoided those things, I was pretty good most times. It did take being a detective and keeping track of things.

For me, it was:

tight clothes, pantyhose, or anything against my legs
dry skin
being overtired (I HAD to go to sleep when tired, or would suffer)
Overexercising
Underexercising (see a paradox here????)
Alcohol

So, for 20 years I thought it was worth it to try and figure this out. Maybe it was and I'm nost sure I could have done it differently. But, it did have a downside. Such as the many times I "thought" I had figured out a new trigger, only to find out that it had nothing to do with it. It sort of kept me running in circles trying to figure it out. Over time, it sort of became this huge sink hole - always trying to outsmart the RLS....instead of, as Susan said, just being happy when I didn't have it....and accepting it when I did.

Hope you have many RLS free days in the future.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

De De

Post by De De »

I am on the mirapex,which I think has helped , but I also ordered some cream that I saw advertised in a magazine that I am going to try tonight..even if it doesn't work, at least I will have soft legs :)
De De

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi De De at least you are positive about the cream. I hope that it does work.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

De De

Post by De De »

well, I am not sure if the cream is working or not-It is very soothing and has a cooling effect. I have just used it for 2 nights and I have been so tired that I just fall right asleep when I go to bed. I am one of the lucky ones... the RLS hasn't affected my sleeping, at least not after I fall asleep. I am sleepy almost everyday so I wonder if it makes me toss and turn at night and just don't remember it.
De De

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

De De, that's exactly what happened to me. I was always so tired. Then my partner complained about kicking him in my sleep. We even slept in separate beds for years. But, even then, it took me about 15 years of tiredness before I was so exhausted I went to see the doctor. It wasn't the RLS...it was the PLMD (which may turn out to be a form of RLS, but is currently considered a different disorder). Now it's both.

It seems a very difficult choice. It's impossible to live well without intervention...but the interventions can be very difficult (finding the right one, not causing other problems, etc.).

It might be worth a sleep study, though, just to see if it is PLMD. Because if it's not, then something else may be making you tired....and it might be an easy fix.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

De De

Post by De De »

another strange thing is that the burning in my legs is at it's worst at night when I sit with my feet up and my laptop in my lap....wonder if the heat from the laptop makes it worse??? BTW is there a rule about mentioning products on this board?
De De

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Hi De De. I don't know what to tell you about the burning in your legs, other than I've heard other people with RLS say they have that as well. You'll probably want to get that checked out by your doctor, since it could be caused by something else, like some kind of neuropathy.

It's OK to mention products, just don't try to sell us anything. :wink:
Susan

De De

Post by De De »

he doesn't think it is neuropathy..guess it just affects me in a different way than most people...burning and tingling...and it is really bothering me right now so I guess I better take a warm shower and take my meds. Luckily it will go away soon and I usually don't have any trouble sleeping and will be symptom freen until sometime tomorrow evening.....such a strange syndrome :?
De De

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

De De--

Warmth on/in my legs can go either way. Sitting in hot water can be relieving, but being overly warm just sitting there watching TV can do the reverse. Sitting with my laptop actually in my lap for a change irritates my RLS somewhat, especially if the fans in the laptop are running and vibrating, but it's not miserable, and it's not artificially hot+tingly.

Certain seated/prone poses pinch a nerve somewhere in my pelvis and make my left leg go cold (sensory-wise, not literally) and eventually numb. Maybe you have something similar? Pinched nerve, maybe a bad disc?

You could just try sitting in the same position without the laptop, maybe with a similarly-sized/weighted object (e.g. a large book) in your lap. That'd tell you if it's the heat. Mind you, you might also be in a slightly different pose when you're typing text into a forum vs. sitting there curiously staring at a big book in your lap. :) Still, worth a try.

By the way, is it your entire legs? Or maybe just the inner/outer, just the tops or bottoms of the feet, heels, calves only or thighs only, etc?
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I used to get burning on the bottoms of my feet, then sometimes both legs or just one leg. This went on for a long time.... Now it doesn't happen so much just now and again. I have no idea why.

Betty
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

De De

Post by De De »

Aiken,
it is basically on the entire leg(both of them)and I have tried putting the laptop on a pillow on my lap and the same thing happens. At first the Dr. thought it was my back. He did x-rays, and a CT scan and did a neve conduction study on my legs and nothing showed up. Then he asked if I had ever heard of RLS and I had but didn't think I had it until I read the symptoms and most of them described me to a T. If affects me when I am still and goes away when I move...taking a warm bath or shower helps and I am using a cream for leg and foot pain before bed that seems to help. It went away for a few months and then came back. At first I thought it was the metoprolol that I started taking for a heart arrythmia.I though my legs were swelling and the Dr's. told me that they weren't..then it got worse and after about a year of this I was diagnosed.
De De