New to RLS

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
dono

Self-diagnosed

Post by dono »

I've yet to see a doctor, but I know I have RLS. (I'm from a family of 8 and my mom is the only other family member that has it as well). I've had the condition for as long as I can remember (I'm 38 now), but recently (over the last 3 months) it's gotten extremely worse. This week I probably only got about 15 hours of sleep total due to the extreme symptoms at night. (I only got about 2 hours last night). It's beginning to take a toll on me and I'm ready to seek a doctor.

Before I do, though, I was wondering if anyone has had any success with any over the counter drugs. I've only tried sleep aids but they make the symptoms much worse. (I've also cut out caffeine over the last month).

My "attacks" are usually isolated to one side (both the arm and leg together). Often after it's impossible to fall asleep, I'll get up and try to excercise (walk on treadmill or up and down stairs). Then as I get back to bed and start to drift off, the symptoms show up on the opposite side.

If anyone has any tips or advice on OTC drugs to try before seeking a doctor, I'm all ears! Also, does anyone know why the symptoms mostly begin to show up after dark (even before you become tired)?

ND

This may help...

Post by ND »

Hi,

I am 32 years old computer professional....& At times it becomes worst to sit for more than 30 min on computer or in meetings at work...I am suffering from RLS since 10 years at least. My parents is already having this problem. Unfortunetly, Most of the instences, it is understood that such problem only occures to old people above 55 year of age & try to relate with other querable desease. Even doctors are not found knowing RLS practicing since long.

Later I visited couple of Nueorologist & ultimately directed to this site as a remidy since some of the mentioned medicines did not help.

One thing I have experience & tried out is - Taking a very light & early dinner will get better rest for that night. so one can try changing the eating day/night schedules & ratio.

But here I also want to ask all the respondants that do they have any gestric problems too....I am trying to find out from the group that - is there any relation exist with these two health related problems....?

your reply may help to understand more this creepy problem & any relation with other health related concerns.

Thanks..!
ND

New to RLS?

Post by Guest »

Good morning

Up again early as usual due to abnormal sensations in my left side of the body. The feeling starts in my left foot and travels up to my left hand.
I am making a doctors appointment now, finally, after so long to see what the diagnosis will be.

I have suffered with this since childhood and have been completely unaware and clueless as to what it may be. When I try describing it to someone, I cant quite describe how it feels as it is not a cramp and not a tingly sensation like when your foot "falls asleep".

Does anyone else go through this? I cant describe the feeling. After having my first baby last year I finally read about RLS in my pregnancy books and thought the everything described with RLS sounded like my condition. It used to occur every once in awhile since childhood but as of last week it is nonstop every night-but strange as I can nap during the day and have a comfortable nights sleep.

Baths ususally help at night. According to my husband I kick and squirm a lot in my sleep and am up at least twice per night.

All of these years I have not scheduled an appointment because I thought-how can I go to the doctor when I cant even describe what tihs feels like. I am afraid of being dismissed by a doctor. I do not think anyone in my family suffers from this. I do know that my father was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea (spelling?) this year.

Can anyone tell me if my symptoms sound like RLS? ANy advise as I make that first doctors appointment?

Many thanks

miamoss

cure for RLS

Post by miamoss »

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:54 pm Post subject: I FOUND A CURE FOR RLS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am 32 years old and suffered from RLS all of my life. This disorder is so bad that suicide has crossed my mind many, many times. But one day I started taking a drug for another condition and I noticed that my RLS completely went away. The drug is called Neurontin, it is used for many things, but mainly epilepsy (which i do not have). For me, Neurontin has NO SIDE EFFECTS WHATSOEVER, it is great. What a relief. I just take 3 around dinner time (before the onsite of the RLS) and then I sleep fine, and I can watch tV now and go to the movies and fly on airplanes. Wow, I am so happy that "by chance" I found permanent relief from RLS. Now, I am no doctor, but my doctor was happy that we discovered this and supports it all the way. Please talk to your doctors and try it, I promise it works. Some may need to take more Neurontin or less, I take 300ml a day. Most important though, you should not wait until the RLS is starting to kick in before taking Neurontin, take it before the onset, if you wait too long, it will take twice as long to work. So I just take it early, before dark, that way I am covered, and I never even feel the RLS anymore, ever.
I hope this helps. Now I can live.
Maria Moss
Suffolk, VA.
mariamoss@charter.net