Is this RLS???

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Scotsman

Is this RLS???

Post by Scotsman »

Hi there

I keep reading about symptoms that I get but many people relate them to pains or sensations in the legs. I have always "bounced" my legs when sitting down, but over the last 2 years this has developed into "jiggling" of my feet and legs when sitting and especially in bed at night. It is definitely worse after alcohol and sometimes (like last night) I reckon I was awake from about 4am until getting up for work at 7am.

I also get a lateral shaking feeling in my waist/hips sometimes but (luckily for me I guess) never pain. Does this sound like RLS? It's actually a big relief to find this site and to know that there may be others out there who can sympathise with these symptoms?

Thanks

Alan

jumpyowl

RLS?

Post by jumpyowl »

Welcome, Alan:

Your symptoms sure sound like RLS to me. The main characteristic of RLS is paresthesia (funny feelings in your legs that ususally go away with movement of limbs) and not pain. It can be associated with pain but that was only recently realized and acknowledged.

RLS cannot be diagnosed clinically (no test available). However, RLS is often associated with periodic leg movement disorder (PLMD) which can be accurately determined by polysomnography conducted while you are asleep. Most sleep centers are advanced enough to use this technique.

Does coffee set you off? What medications if any are you taking? Give us some more info, if you are so inclined.
Jumpy Owl

Scotsman

Medication

Post by Scotsman »

Hi Jumpy

Yes I am on medication for asthma (about 12 years) and for stress (anti depressants for about 2 years) and two years may coincide with the start of these symptoms.

I don't think coffee kicks me off but I think too much alcohol certainly does - I am experimenting with comnplete abstention at present so will keep you posted!! At least I get to sleep easier after a few glasses of wine!

The stress is work and marital problems related - I have solved the work issues by finding a new job - as you will understand the marital issues are more complex. Again if things improve and I feel better I'll let you know.

Thanks for you reply - it is to some extent a relief to know that there are others out there and this is not "just" me!!! It's very kind of you to take the time and trouble to be interested.

Stay well, sleep well and speak to you soon.....

Scotsman :shock:

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

We're glad you found us but sorry there was a need to. :cry: Listen to Jumpy and check out other related sites here on the RLS website. There is lots of info on this site but some of the best is on this discussion board. Jumpy has become our resident information guru. We are so fortunate that he found us. :D The rest of us can offer support and what has and has not worked for us which is important too. Most of us cannot tolerate alcohol (I sure do miss my beer!) and all of us have worsening symptoms with stress. Of course, as you stated some stress can be alleviated, some not. We all have to learn to deal with stress the best we can. Several of us have hobbies that help get our minds off our problems for a short time. It is important to get in with a good doctor, not necessarily a neurologist although if you can find one who is knowledgable about RLS that certainly helps. My doctor is a GP but not only knows quite a bit about RLS (unusual in my area of the world) but is willing to listen to my ideas too. Caffeine is a killer for some of us and I have heard of some having trouble with dairy products. The best help is to learn everything you can about RLS. When you find a doctor that prescribes meds, it may take a long time to get the ones that work for you. It can be very discouraging but hang in there and know that we all are going through the same things and completely understand. There is a General Topics catagory where a couple of us have gone to just to vent. Sometimes we just get so upset that we need to let fly and that is a good place to do it. If anyone wants to, they can read it or not depending on how comfortable they are with dep emotions of others. Or you can always e-mail any of us privately. Anyway, keep us posted on your journey. You'll find many of us traveling the same road.

jumpyowl

Glad, you wrote!

Post by jumpyowl »

Yes I am on medication for asthma (about 12 years) and for stress (anti depressants for about 2 years) and two years may coincide with the start of these symptoms.

You said it, brother! As you may be aware, antidepressants are notorious for aggravating RLS symptoms. Which one are you taking? If you really need one there are one or two which are not quite as bad as the rest. Possibly this is the first thing you ought to change.

Even though the caffein connection is not obvious, try to go on the decaffeinated route and see wether that helps. You need help to sleep and alcohol is fine if that is the only medication you are taking. Otherwise, they cloud the picture being a depressant and interacting with many drugs.

I am well aware that marital problems can produce considerable stress.
Logic, rational arguments, pills do not help.

Keep in touch
Jumpy Owl

Scotsman1

Thanks

Post by Scotsman1 »

Hey there folks

Thanks to you both for your wise words - I'll report back as and when I have some progress to report.....

Have a great weekend....

Alan :lol:

Woodsey Not Owl

Beer lover too !!

Post by Woodsey Not Owl »

Well anything with alcohol actually!!!

I am new to this group, but not at all new to the suffering. Sleep is what you need more than anything else. I KNOW!

Tell your Dr. you want to try SINEMET. It works for about 5 - 6 hours, I do use it with some Darvon too. I am sleeping pain free for several hours now each and every night. Sleep is the best way to get your life back.

My entire family has suffered for generations and nothing has ever really worked before. My Dad was on morphine for 25 years and it made him really dopey during the day. He died a few years back and missed out on this new treatment.

Try It You'll Like It!!!

Make that love it.

David Wood
I have suffered for 30 years and I can now can control the pain.
Maybe we should all buy stock in this product as I think we have the answer here.

I still take Ambien but I am starting to need it less and less.
SLEEP IS A WONDERFUL THING