Can RLS be psychological

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
DARCYUK

Post by DARCYUK »

I agree with AIKEN here. Thinking about it I think most certainly effects the dopamine level in the brain, however, it presents a Catch 22 situation here! If you try hard NOT to think about it, or vice-versa, whichever way you go, it is going to influence dopamine levels.
Regarding thought/thinking, my own way of clearing my head prior to sleep, is meditation. I have learnt a Zen technique over the last few months that seems to relax and de-stress, and clear away any worries and concerns I may have regarding RLS symptoms prior to sleep.
I will encapsulate if I may,
Imagine yourself in the centre of a circle, with many coloured pathways leading from that centre.
Decide which pathway you are going to follow, and just go with it,
Whilst you are deciding which pathway to take, slow your breathing to a nice rhythmic rate,
You may have a companion on you journey, mine is a Cheetah!
Have a great journey and enjoy, you may lose some time on this journey, you companion will help and assist along the way, and I'll bet you will have had a beautiful journey.
THAT, should hopefully clear any scary thoughts about your symptoms, works for me, don't know what it does for the dopamine levels though!!

bharrod

Post by bharrod »

Wow, that Zen thing sounds neat. I won't need to do it for my RLS since it's under control now, but I will use it for my "mind wondering" while trying to fall asleep at night. I tend to lay in bed for an hour worrying about life, kids, family, money, stress, whatever, and it goes for a lousy nights sleep, thanks for this zen trick and I will try it right now as I am heading to bed now, thanks so much for this free information.
Mia

DARCYUK wrote:I agree with AIKEN here. Thinking about it I think most certainly effects the dopamine level in the brain, however, it presents a Catch 22 situation here! If you try hard NOT to think about it, or vice-versa, whichever way you go, it is going to influence dopamine levels.
Regarding thought/thinking, my own way of clearing my head prior to sleep, is meditation. I have learnt a Zen technique over the last few months that seems to relax and de-stress, and clear away any worries and concerns I may have regarding RLS symptoms prior to sleep.
I will encapsulate if I may,
Imagine yourself in the centre of a circle, with many coloured pathways leading from that centre.
Decide which pathway you are going to follow, and just go with it,
Whilst you are deciding which pathway to take, slow your breathing to a nice rhythmic rate,
You may have a companion on you journey, mine is a Cheetah!
Have a great journey and enjoy, you may lose some time on this journey, you companion will help and assist along the way, and I'll bet you will have had a beautiful journey.
THAT, should hopefully clear any scary thoughts about your symptoms, works for me, don't know what it does for the dopamine levels though!!

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

ViewsAskew wrote:So, if you are thinking of nothing...except the dreaded RLS...maybe that's enough to allow it to happen.

Maybe it's more like a gateway. Active concentration closes the gate (as so certain drugs, time of day, etc.). Inactivity opens the gate.

Whaddya think?

Of course RLS can come on regardless of our thoughts, but think that's pretty true.

Also, from looking at it from the other side, if I have a bad night of RLS and go out to the couch I usually don't have ANY RLS, even though moments ago in the bed it was really bad. I'm not worried about bothering the wife, I'm farther from other distractions and feel like I'm in a "zone of solitude" (sounds like a sleepy super hero...). I usually then fall asleep without any RLS, even though the couch itself is not that comfortable or special in any way from a physical standpoint. There's something psychological to close that "gateway."

bharrod

Post by bharrod »

Moving to the couch has never worked for me, I could only wish that it were that easy, but I am glad that it works for you.
Mia

Hos wrote:
ViewsAskew wrote:So, if you are thinking of nothing...except the dreaded RLS...maybe that's enough to allow it to happen.

Maybe it's more like a gateway. Active concentration closes the gate (as so certain drugs, time of day, etc.). Inactivity opens the gate.

Whaddya think?

Of course RLS can come on regardless of our thoughts, but think that's pretty true.

Also, from looking at it from the other side, if I have a bad night of RLS and go out to the couch I usually don't have ANY RLS, even though moments ago in the bed it was really bad. I'm not worried about bothering the wife, I'm farther from other distractions and feel like I'm in a "zone of solitude" (sounds like a sleepy super hero...). I usually then fall asleep without any RLS, even though the couch itself is not that comfortable or special in any way from a physical standpoint. There's something psychological to close that "gateway."

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

Yeah, I am lucky in that way, even though the RLS is nightly and moderate, if I have my meds and even on bad nights the couch helps ...usually.

jasteen

does thinking about it ...bring it on???

Post by jasteen »

i absolutly believe it does not bring it on ...atleast for me. i have had it for 4 years and remember it occasionally as a kid.
example. i worked 12 hours one day. then fly to ohio with my wife. then went to the bar with my cousin. then went to bed and made love ...i have been up since 4 am and it was 3 am when we tried to sleep. i closed my eyes and in 5 minutes it started! i was so exhausted and it was still there. fought it for half an hour and finally took a pill -percocet and 10 mins. later was fast asleep. : :D as for thinking of it and it starts... i think you think about it because you start to feel it. we all should know that feeling just before it starts . your legs feel just a little different and you know its coming. then bam the fun starts.
good luck everyone!!!

Colsy

Post by Colsy »

Its funny, yesterday I was diagnosed with RLS and I was kinda relieved to know it wasnt blood clots. I also noticed that my legs felt better than they had in weeks.

Seem to be returning to normal today though.... :lol: