Just started requip and general RLS questions

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
jlady

Just started requip and general RLS questions

Post by jlady »

I have been having problems sleeping for a couple years now, my upper thighs would feel like they want to flex, so I would either try to ignore it or just flex them. Anyway, it would come and go but now I find I don't sleep well (or long) about 50% of the time.

So I went to the doctor and she said I have RLS and started me on requip.

I also have other issues, I also just got diagnosed with high thyroid. I also get unexplained itchiness that keeps me awake. Does anyone know if there is any relationship to RLS.

I just started the requip last night and am nervous about it. Mostly because of the nausea issues. Is the nausea something that goes away after frequent usage?? I already suffer from frequent nasuea.

Also is requip addictive, if you decide to stop can you do so abruptly?

I am already on paxil for over 10 years and also am wondering if that has any affect on my issues. Plus that is hard to get off, you have to wean yourself very slowly (which I am trying).

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi jlady,

Glad you found this forum and hope that you get what you need from it.

I hope I remember everything you asked...

Per the nausea, just go slowly, more slowly than the package insert. That often helps a lot. Also, consider how you feel at each increase. Did the feeling in your thighs stop? If so, don't increase anymore than that.

Also related to nausea, there was a study a few months ago that noted some people with IBS type symptoms and RLS had an overgrowth of bacteria and reducing the bacteria often also eliminated the RLS. Sometimes nausea is one of the symptoms. If you have any other tummy issues, this is something to consider.

Also to consider if you have tummy issues is celiac disease. While it's not common, every once in awhile we get someone who had RLS because they had undiagnosed celiac disease. People with celiac often have multiple concerns at the same time.

Per the Paxil, it could bring on or worsen RLS. Have you had this odd sensation in your thighs the whole time you've been taking Paxil?

Also, did your doctor test the following: B12, hemoglobin, folate, and ferritin? The first three, when low, can cause RLS and the last one can be an indicator of primary RLS. It's often below 50 and if it is, it need to get over 50 (some doctors say 100).

I itch terribly when I have RLS. Who knows why. But several others here do, too, so it seems more than just a casual relationship. We haven't ever taking a poll, but I know my itching is related!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jlady

Post by jlady »

I have had the feelings in my legs on/off (mostly off) for many years but never long enough for it to really register until the last few years as well as nausea/itchiness/wierd skin eruptions .... which I all related to the paxil.

So for the last year I have been slowly weaning myself off paxil. I was always on 20 mg and now down to 14 mg.

Also last night (the first dose), I didn't sleep well but not because of the legs, just overall restless. Which is another problem. All my life I have been restless and/or get extreme tired periods.

Oy!!

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Hi JLady and welcome to the forum.

Gosh, what you wrote about having periods of feeling restless alternating with periods of extreme tired sure rings a bell with me. I also have thyroid issues, so maybe that has something to do with it. Last summer I was overmedicated and had "dangerously high levels of thyroid hormone." I had always thought that it must be great to be hyperthyroid, but it wasn't and I sure felt terrible. Any little bit of heat would just make me feel faint and sick to my stomach. And just horrible fatigue.

What are the doctors going to do about the hyperthyroidism? I'm guessing that is a big part of the nausea and itching, as well as the fatigue. You'd be amazed at how bad you can feel if the thyroid is off one way or another.

I'm an itchy person as well, so I keep a big bottle of Sarna lotion around all the time. It has a strong smell, but it works for the itchies.

As for Requip, yes it can cause nausea. You may want to take half a pill (they're buggers to split, I know) and see if that helps. Then work up very slowly until you get relief from your symptoms.

Good luck getting off the Paxil. I understand that it's one of the worst to stop. I take Effexor and have stopped it several times and it's supposed to be nearly as bad as Paxil. I'm wondering if your doctor could switch you directly to Prozac or one of the other antidepressants that doesn't have a discontinuation syndrome. If you could take that for a while and then stop... Probably worth asking about.

Best wishes with it all.
Susan

jlady

Post by jlady »

I have hypothyroidism. I just started levoxly today. So starting levoxyl and requip at the same time which worries me.

My goal is to completely get off paxil, I have heard effexor is even worse than paxil.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I don't know the relationship, but I often see that thyroid issues are listed as causes for secondary RLS. I meant to ask Dr Picchietti about it at the regional meeting, but forgot.

I wonder if there is any new info out there about how to stop Paxil? As Susan noted, I've also heard it can be extremely difficult. There must be some way to make it easier.

Maybe Josh or Ed (or AIken or one of our new doctors who have joined) know of some new pharma discoveries that make it easier.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

KBear

Post by KBear »

I've done both Paxil and Effexor withdrawal they are equally bad. :(

The best way to get off is to taper down to a very low daily dose, then go to every other day (for a couple weeks or more), then take one pill every three days (for a couple more weeks) then stop completely when you know you will have some time to rest. There is no way to completely avoid discomfort when you stop taking them but the process is less painful if you taper down.

If anyone is looking for help going through this you can PM me. I had an Internet friend who "held my hand" when I weaned off Effexor. It helps to have someone who has been there.
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf