RLS is becoming more frequent ; other meds

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
cynthiadennison

RLS is becoming more frequent ; other meds

Post by cynthiadennison »

I am currently taking 1mg of Requip (gen.equiv) every eve. This has worked well for quite a while, but my RLS is getting more frequent. I take med for hypothyroidism and am wondering if anyone has some experience with maybe taking a higher dose of thyroid to help balance the hormones. In turn, would this help the RLS?

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Cyn and welcome to this group. How long have you been on Requip? You mentioned that you are getting the symptoms more frequently. You may be augmenting (that is having rls anytime of the day or night and is getting worse).

On this forum please read New to RLS as there is some excellent info there and I believe there is a sticky post on augmentation. Please read it. Also there is an article from the Mayo Clinic Algorithm. Please read it and and give your dr a copy. You can find this info on the sticky post called "Managing RLS"

There are a couple of sites to read www.rlshelp.org and www.wemove.org
Please read as much as you can as educating yourself on this disorder is so important.

Have you ever had your ferritin level checked (iron deficiency) It should be at least 50 or above. You have to request this b/w as it is not included in the normal blood work.

The med that you are taking for your thyroid I cannot answer. We are not drs nor have any medical knowledge. We are here to support you in anyway that we can. I would definitely check with your dr to see if this can help or worsen the rls.

Please keep me posted and let me know what your dr says.

Again welcome and please feel to post at anytime. I am sure other members will give you some input too.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Cynthia, I admit to not knowing anything about what you asked. So, why am I writing, you must be wondering. I was a bit concerned when you said that the RLS is getting more frequent.

Most of us probably think the RLS just is getting worse when that happens. But, if it's in a time frame of a few weeks to 2 years, it's likely to be augmentation. Augmentation is when the RLS gets stronger, happens earlier, and the Requip or Mirapex seems not to be working as well anymore. It can happen when taking one of the dopamine drugs, like Requip.

So, I was thinking maybe the thyroid meds might not be involved at all or need to be adjusted...maybe it's that it's time to take a break from Requip.

For me info about augmentation, please read this thread: http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?t=1897&start=0 There are many more posts about it if you search on the word. In addition, there is an audio where Dr Buchfurer talks about it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

I also take thyroid med and you should never increase your thyroid med without Drs orders. My Dr once told me that you have to be careful when taking this med because if you were to get to much it could cause heart problems.

I have primary RLS meaning being born with it, inherited thru family. I have only been on thyroid meds for the last 12 yrs and when I started taking the med I noticed No difference in my rls, so not for sure that increasing or decreasing your thyroid med would help at all. But as we all know each person is different and meds react differently to each of us.

I have not taken the Parkinson meds such as requip, but I have read many many post on this message board about augumentation and rebound caused by the parkinson meds, so I agree with the other two post that more than likely, its your requip that is causing the increased rls.

Some end up taking what is called a "drug holiday" meaning that stop the requip for a couple weeks, and then usually can go back on requip at a smaller dose and do well again with it. Some switched to mirapex or another drug for those two weeks.
I am sure if you continue reading you will find alot of great info. Also if you do not know abou the meds known to make RLS worse or the foods, please find those lists at www.rlshelp.org under Drugs/foods known to worsen RLS. I always suggest your print those out and keep with you at all times.

booth205

thyroid

Post by booth205 »

I also take synthroid for my thyroid and agree totally with what everyone else has said. You should not increase your meds to try to balance out hormones. In fact, I have never heard that that would help RLS and my Endocrinologist knows I have RLS. He had never suggested that would help.
So, just be careful and talk with your doc first!!
I wish you the best!!