Very Depressed

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

lb, if your ferritin is ok all it means is that your ferritin is ok and not likely the cause of or perhaps contributing to your rls--as best we now know. Some rls is Primary meaning it could be genetic and not caused by a secondary factor. Some rls is Secondary and, as the name implies, can be caused by a secondary factor such as low ferritin levels and even pregnancy. You might also continue to have rls or some degree of rls even if your ferritin levels are brought up to snuff but many often experience some lessening of their rls with improved ferritin level. Mmmm, was I talking in circles.

Best wishes,

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

ladybug wrote:Ok...guess I'm not through with the questions...

I'm having my iron level checked on Monday...should I make sure that its for ferritin?...i never knew there were different types of iron level checks.

If my levels come out normal - does that mean I don't have RLS?

Thanks everyone!!!! I really had so much fun on Monday night's chat. I don't know how I got to be so blessed!!

Hi Lb I am glad that you are going to get your iron check, and yes it is ferritin.

I hope that the levels do come out normal for you; however that does not mean you do not have rls. I am sorry to tell you that but do not want to get your hopes up. I would definitely check with your dr on this.

I was so glad to see you on the chat Monday night and we are the ones to be so "blessed" to know you and hope to see you next Monday.

Take care and have a good evening.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

ladybug

Post by ladybug »

Thanks C & M for that info...I really don't feel like I have an iron deficeincy.... I donated blood last year & they usually check for that before you can give.
I've been through some terrible things in life, some of which actually happened (Mark Twain) :-)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

ladybug, an iron deficiency and ferritin level are not related. You can have GREAT levels of iron in your blood (hemoglobin) but have really low ferritin.

And, low is a relative term! According to most labs, low ferritin is 10, 15 or 20. But, if you have RLS, low ferritin is 50-100! There are people here who feel better when it's even up to 150.

It's sorta complicated, but the basic thing is that if you have RLS, ferritin should be as high as you can get it, but not over 300.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ladybug

Post by ladybug »

aaahhhhhhh... :o
I've been through some terrible things in life, some of which actually happened (Mark Twain) :-)

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

ladybug,
Be careful giving blood, that can cause some RLSers to have a worse case of rls. I know there is info posted on the rls web sites about blood donation and rls. you might need to research for this info.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

ladybug

Post by ladybug »

Hello dear friends,

Today I had my sleep diagnostic appointment. I had a 20 (it seems) page questionaire to fill out before the appnt.

I just wanted to let you know that my doctor & I think that an anti-malaria drug I had been taking for most of this past year is causing my rls to become unmanageable (I had been taking Malarone). He thinks I am allergic to it. It's frightening because he doesn't know if all these symptoms, rls being just one of many, will be permanent or not. I don't want to take the ripinole but will if it doesn't improve. He also gave me atavan, but other than that I will just stick it out for now. He wants me to try to get off the ambien...thinks I'm taking too much.

I had my ferritin checked today also but I don't have the results on that yet.

I know that tonight is chat night but I have been dealing with great sadness today - not good company lately...glad to know what has been aggravating it so much but ....oh, I don't know why.

I have really enjoyed sharing with you & feel like you are my friends.

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Ladybug and missed you in the chat room tonight. I am so sorry for what you are going through.

I hope that your dr can get to the bottom of this. Please keep us posted on what is going on.

I understand not wanting to chat as feeling down and that is ok as I have had that at times too. We are here whenever you feel like venting, talking or whatever. That is what family and friends are for and you are certainly one of us and proud to say that,.

I hope to see you next Monday.

You are our friend and family. We are so glad that you joined us.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Huh....an antimalarial drug. Who'd've thought! Well, good for your doc for figuring it out. Are you able to stop taking it now or in the near future?

Hope you feel better soon. Those down days are indeed tough to slog through.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.