New here--possible RLS, side effect of Prozac?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Mander

New here--possible RLS, side effect of Prozac?

Post by Mander »

I don't have problems every day, but often enough for it to be really annoying. I have always had trouble getting comfortable when I sleep, but in the last few months it has become much more like the RLS symptoms listed by the RLS foundation.

I was told that I am anemic some years ago, but I've had a few blood tests since then, and was told that my iron levels are all normal. I also have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and rarely have periods, so I don't really expect to lose a lot of iron every month.

I've been taking prozac for depression for about a year now, and I have read that RLS can be a side effect. Does anyone have any experience with this? Were you able to treat it without additional drugs? I haven't yet tried any vitamin supplements, but I'll start taking a multivitamin ASAP and see if it helps!

I'm glad to have found this site. My husband thinks I'm crazy and gets really annoyed when I fidget at night. He doesn't really understand the torture of trying not to move!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Welcome, Mander.

Yeah, quite a few people here have had problems with various SSRIs. The weird thing is that one may bother you and the next may not. So, it's possible you could take something else and not have problems.

You basically have two options: find a different SSRI that doesn't bother you...or take something for the RLS is creates. Some people do one, some people do the other. It depends on how important the SSRI is to you. The more important that particular one is, the more likely you'd need to take something to help the RLS.

Anemia is a cause of RLS, but the ferritin level is just as important (maybe more so for people whose RLS is genetic or isn't caused by an SSRI or other problem). Most docs don't test it. That could be helpful in itself and could resolve the RLS, but doesn't always work (it helps about 60% of the time).
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

Please read the info about antidepressants and rls on www.rlshelp.org there are a couple other antidepressants listed that do not seem to bother rls. I would print this info off and discuss it with my Dr. I do remember that Wellbutrin is one antidepressant that is known usually not to increase rls.

Also read about Ferretin iron level, which is a totally differnet test than reg blood test and usually you must request this test. IF I remember correctly people with rls should have a ferretin iron level of at least 50 and 100 is usually better. for people without rls, it can be alot less. So another thing to research and print off to discuss with you dr. Just know that the more you read and educate yourself about rls, the better treatment you can find forr youself.

There are many OTC meds that can affect rls, such as allergy meds, or any cold med or cough med that has antishismines. some foods will affect rls, such as ice cream for many of us. Lots to read and learn about to help your rls. These are just a few things that can be helpful in dealing with rls.

booth205

hello

Post by booth205 »

Hey M,
I was wondering how old you were?? I too have PCOS and RLS. I haven't found anyone my age who has both. So, I was just curious..
Blessings,
Amy

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hey, Amy - I have both, too. I'm in my 40's, though, so maybe older than you. I've had PCOS since my late teens, but wasn't called that until my late 20's.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Mander

I'm 33

Post by Mander »

I was only just diagnosed with PCOS last year, but I have been certain that I have it for a long time. It's been difficult to persuade doctors that it's not all in my head! Being overweight doesn't help, either--many doctors just assume that whatever the problem is, it must be caused by being fat, and prescribe weight loss. As if that's an answer. :roll:

At any rate, I guess what I was wondering was whether anyone who has RLS as an apparent effect of an antidepressant got any relief from treating it as if it were an effect of low iron, etc.

I talked to my doctor yesterday about switching to a different anti-depressant, as prozac seems to be losing its effectiveness. She wrote me a prescription for Citalopram (aka Celexa, I think) to try instead.

For whatever reason, they seem to be reluctant to prescribe Wellbutrin in the UK--I've asked two doctors about it, and they both say they only prescribe it for smoking cessation. It must be an NHS thing. If this one doesn't help, maybe I'll try again.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I don't know if anyone has gotten relief that way. My guess would be some would and some wouldn't, because the exact reason you have RLS isn't known.

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi Mander, I am also in the UK.

Just 3 months ago I discussed this with my doc. I had an anxiety state and he felt the best med was amnitriptline but he knew this was not good for rls. So I mentioned the Wellbrutin but when he looked it up he said it was only licensed in the UK for smoking cessation. I believe it may be known as Zyban (haven't time just at the moment to check, but I'm pretty sure that is its name over here).

My doc is cooperative and I think the rules just did not permit its use otherwise over here. So, yes, I think it is an NHS thing.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation