New Guy from Australia

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Colsy

New Guy from Australia

Post by Colsy »

Hi, about 18 months ago I started getting twitches and pains in my legs. I had just gone in to a desk job, about 3 months prior, after having been on my feet in my job for about 16 years. I had started to put on a bit of weight and with having a history of heart disease in our family I thought the twitches and pains in my legs were from poor circulation.

So, I took up running, and exercise in general. The twitches and pains went away for a while only to re-surface again in slightly different forms. I started re-searching and convinced myself it was several things like low minerals, poor fitness, poor circulation. So I kept running and getting fit but the pains persisted..sometimes worse...sometimes they would go away for a week or two.

I finally went to the Doc about it and after some blood tests and the usual physical stuff he has told me it is RLS. My doctor is one of those no-nonsense types so I am inclined to take his word for it.

I am actually quite relieved at this point, in fact I am feeling really good about it. One bonus is I am now very fit! I also lost about 10 KGs in the process.
I can now stop experimenting with all the vitamins and minerals I was taking.

Currently my pains consist of small stabbing pains, dull aches, pulling pains and a hell of a lot of twitches which I find the most annoying. I am not sure if I have it as bad as some people on this board. Mine seems manageable at the moment.

It is great to see there is so much info about it on the net and I cant believe there is even this discussion board! Apparently our local hospital is running some kind of trial as well.

Thank you for having me here, I look forward to geting to know you through the board.

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Hey Colsy

Welcome to the Board. Sorry you're here, but glad you found us.

We're a motley bunch; some of us more motley than others. The mods keep us in check (most of the time 8) ) but we pretty much talk about anything here.

Whereabouts in this great dusty land are you lurking? I'm in Gladstone, Central Queensland. Good to see another "local".

If you want to vent, scream, yell, ask the same question over and over again, there's usually someone lurking around to lend you and "ear" or answer your question/s.

The best thing you can do when starting out around these boards is read through the "sticky" sections at the top of the "New to RLS" and "General Topics RLS". There's a list of blood tests that us RLS'ers usually get but I can't for the life of me remember anymore than Iron (Ferritin), and Hemaeglobin (sp?) right now. (Ann, If you're reading this, i'm tryin to pick your brains, but am failing miserably, because it was a post of yours that I saw the list of blood tests in.)

Somewhere in there is a link to the Mayo Clinic RLS Algorithm. Hopefully someone will jump in here after me and provide the direct link coz my brain ain't doin wat it's told today ... it's more interested in all the bloody rain :roll: :? and I'm a lil out of it on my "backup cocktail".

I know the Mods and others will jump in here soon and welcome you to the scene. As for me, i'd better get off this piece of machinery before my head connects with the keyboard.

This Board is a second family to a lot of us ... so ... welcome to the family :D
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Welcome, Colsy - not much to add to Nadia's welcome as she was pretty darn thorough.

The algorithm can be reached by clicking on the link in my signature at the end of this post. There are multiple places in that thread that link to it.

The blood tests - you want them to check for anemia and also for ferritin (you got it right, Nadia). If you are anemic, often getting your iron up will completely erase the RLS. If your ferritin is low, it helps to increase it; sometimes it helps a lot, sometimes a bit, and sometimes none. In the US, the docs say that ferritin should be at least 50 and some docs even say 100 is even better. I assume that the rating scale is the same in other places, but am not sure :?

Sorry the minerals and vitamins didn't help. Sometimes some people are helped by them. The exercise definitely helps me, but it doesn't take it away (it used to).

You mentioned it not being as bad as other's...but my guess is that it's bad enough (whatever that is) or you wouldn't be here. So, you have my empathy and I hope that it gets better.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Colsy

Post by Colsy »

Thanks for the welcome.

Nadia, I am from Adelaide SA.

The only thing I am unsure about with RLS is the symptom of the impulse to move the legs. I dont have an uncontrollable impulse. Only if I feel the symptoms and I want them to stop then I will move my leg. But I would consider that as voluntary. When I reflect back I can think of a number of occasions when my leg went flying in to the air at the cusp of falling asleep, but I thought everyone gets this and I didnt have RLS symptoms then.
I do move my feet/legs often to stop the symptoms but as I said I would consider this voluntary.
Othe than that my symptoms seem to match people on the board here. Although I thought fasciculations were a part of RLS, but it turns out its a bit of a side issue. This would be my most common symptom, comes for a day, stays for a week. After that its aching behind the knees, stabbing pains all over but mainly in the lower legs and claw like burnings in the thighs.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

RLS is voluntary...you feel that feeling (whatever it is - it differs for many of us) and you MUST stop it by moving. All of us have voluntary movement, not unvoluntary.

PLMs are involuntary movements. Mostly those are while asleep, though can be while awake, too. So, some of us also have involuntary movements, too.

Hope that's clear...
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Welcome Colsy!
Susan

DARCYUK

Post by DARCYUK »

:D Hi Colsy, Belated greetings!! Welcome to the Family! Glad you are here, although it is perhaps for all the wrong reasons, having RLS is Life Changing,and you have certainly come to the best place for advice, friendship and support. I have severe RLS in legs, arms, feet & hands, and have been in some pain recently, associated with my symptoms, and the meds I have been taking. I found all the wonderful people here a tremendous help!
BTW, if any one needs a recommendation for relaxation, and easing the symptoms, try 5 weeks on The Red Sea Coast, temps of 35c plus, lovely sunshine in the old bones! It worked for me! 8) :)

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi Colsy, I agree, if you have found this site, then you must be suffering enough to have made you search us out.

I hope you find lots of useful information here, it has been my lifeline, and my base of information for my doc (who takes heed). To be able to refer him to the Algorithm is good, and The Mayo Clinic, I think, are magic words. :wink:
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Hey again

Adelaide ... dang it ... that's a whole continent away lol.

I've an Uncle & Aunt in Mt Gambier and a fabulous friend in Millicent. Not sure where my four cousins are living tho; think one or two of them are in Adelaide.

Haven't had the opportunity to get there yet. Bypassed it on the way to Perth back in '91 and '95.

Have seen that it's a pretty city when i've been watching the cricket.

Will have to save our pennies and head that way one day. Not big wine drinkers; but have heard there's some fantastic fishing spots off the coast.
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Colsy

Post by Colsy »

sardsy75 wrote:Hey again

Haven't had the opportunity to get there yet. Bypassed it on the way to Perth back in '91 and '95.

I meet a lot of people who say that! :lol: