NEW & NEED HELP

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
CarlaJ

NEW & NEED HELP

Post by CarlaJ »

I am new to this, but not so new to RLS. I have had an extremely mild case until recently - and now it has gotten to the point where my husband & I have to sleep separately so at least ONE person can get some sleep. It occurs every night now where before it was occasionally. I have tried the hot baths, several different medications, and even putting bar of soap underneath the sheets as written in a newspaper column by Dr. Gott. Nothing has seemed to help in the last 2 weeks. I don't know what has happened to make this continually get worse, but the last few nights, no sleep - and even to the point of pain. I have read all kinds of information on RLS and have been to my regular physician to get medications, but now those don't even seem to be helping. I would appreciate ANY information/help! Thanks

becat

Hello and welcome

Post by becat »

Hi Carla,
Maybe you could start by telling us what you have tried in the past.
RLS is a progressive disorder. So, if it gets worse it may be part of the deal. Maybe your dealing with an over load of stress lately? Change in eating habits? There could be many reasons it's kicked in. You may know that it's possible that the dose needs to be raised or that you need a "holiday" from the thing that has worked in the past. There are many that trade medications with success. Some medications simply seem to have a time limit for some of us.
Your lucky to have a doctor that listens. That's a huge plus. Being that many treatments consist of a combination of both non-medicine and medications. That's the way it is for me. I take all the good things again. Cal/mag. B-complex and trying to get use to drinking water as oppose to sodas and coffee........I love that 3pm cup of coffee......... :cry: Oooo, yeah and My Mom loves DR. GOTT, yup I got soap. I have changed medications or upped doses many times. Again, most though find it's a combination of medications that work.

There are some here that say that a memory foam bed helps with RLS. Comfort and helps not to wake the partner so easily. I have a foam topper, but hubby sleeps like a rock. Well, until I talk to him in my sleep or try to kick him around. LOL I guess I can add PLMD to my list now.

The other thing I could offer you, since you were having success at one time, is a sleep diary. Now, I wish I had some great wisdom to shed on how it works........ :? I haven't found a good format for mine yet. I'm working on one for me and a way to give a short breakdown to doc.....Mostly it's for me. But I keep track of meds, dose I took, major foods or drinks during the day, Bed and sleep.......what time I went to bed..how long I slept. It's a work in progress really.

Your doing the best thing possible. Educating yourself and finding us here. We don't always have the answers, But we'll try darn hard to get them. Maybe it comes down to support. For most of us it's been a key part of feeling normal with RLS. Just knowing your not crazy or alone in this helps. It's an awesome bunch around here. New members and the older ones. We've learned a ton from one another just in sharing our experiences. We also tend to be a proactive group. I hope you get the same from being here.

Look forward to your reply. Hope tonight is a better one for you.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Carla, it SUCKS when that happens. I HATE when that happens. It's funny, sometimes I can figure it out, sometimes I can't.

You sound like you already are pretty educated; maybe there will be some information here that will help. The old posts offer a whole host of info, even if it is time-consuming to go through them. My favorite advide is to recommend starting with two threads: in the New to RLS? section, read the Websites thread and go through that info; in the General Topics section, read the Starting Out: Links thread.

Wish you didn't find us because all is falling apart. That's how I got here, too. Now that I'm here, I'm glad I am, though.

Ann

Carla

Learning

Post by Carla »

Wow.. Just reading all the posts, I have learned so much that I really didn't realize! You could spend days reading posts. My RLS seems to be progessively getting worse. I did go 2 days without any problem, but yesterday during the daytime I began to become "restless" more/less and then the nightime was a nightmare. It amazes me that sometimes medication works and sometimes not. I was taking Klonapin and it worked for the most part, until at some point it wasn't working at all, but at that time it was still such a milder case than what is going on now. That is when I began doing a little internet research. I did visit with my dr. and he has prescribed Neurontin. And that works, for the most part, but by all means, not always. I have been taking it for 2 months. As far as health problems, I am an asthmatic and have allergies but that is about it, other than an increase in headaches, which has been attributed to occasional stress with children/family/work, etc. During my "research" I have learned that my Mother has the same problems, but to a milder degree and she takes Klonapin and it works for her all of the time. Stress I hadn't realized could be a factor until reading your post. I am way into overload. I have a daughter who is in the 12th grade & a son in the 9th grade, plus a husband with an active career, and I work also. My eating habits haven't changed, although I should! I do have insomnia at times but they attribute that to the asthma medications I take. I already take Calcium & B12 vitamins, but that is about it... As far as caffeine, I really do very little of it- usually water or diet caffeine free cokes (might as well be water).... I am going to start working on a sleep diary, that way I will have something to show my dr. for my next visit.

You guys are great and what a caring group. Finding you has been a blessing!!! Knowing I am not alone and not crazy, which crossed MY mind, is a big plus.

Thanks for ALL of your input!!
Carla

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

HEY CARLA, WELCOME TO OUR FAMILY< this syndrome is the pitts and it is baffling to me how the meds work and then don't and so on and so on. You have to open the purse wide with this one. You have found the right place tho,just when you think you cant do it any more you can come here and someone will be here with open arms..........thats how it works and thats how we make it through another long night TOGETHER so welcome aboard put your seat belt on its going to be a wild ride~~~~~~~~~~~~~Lyndarae