Another newbie

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
luarth

Another newbie

Post by luarth »

:D Greetings! I'm so glad that there is somewhere I can say "Restless Leg Syndrome" and not have people look at me like I'm nuts. I was familiar with RLS for years because my father has it along with sleep apnea, but I had no idea it was genetic until I was diagnosed a few months ago. I have my very first neurologist appointment in three weeks (I hope he's gentle with me :) ). My family doctor has been trying to treat me with meds but they are having no effect and I'm getting worse. I've also tried increasing my iron and various combinations of exercise and rest before bed. I am under some increased stress right now, but for a great reason. We are in the middle of adopting our third child, who has special needs. I can't wait to bring her home, but I'm nervous about trying to parent three children while being so constantly sleep deprived. I'm curious about what tests the neurologist might want to start off with. Anyone want to share their experience?
~Melissa
What the catapiller calls the end of the world, the Creator calls a butterfly.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Melissa,

So sorry that you have RLS and need more information and assistance. Guess that's how most of use got here. This is a good place to be. There are lots of personal stories in the old posts and a ton of good information. If you have any time at all, starting by reading the old threads will be more helpful than you could believe. My favorite standbys to start with are two threads with links to other sites that supply LOTS of information. I subscribe to the more you know type philosophy!

http://beta.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=549
http://beta.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=94

We'd love to hear more about your story, too. Many of us are happy to commiserate or tell what we did in a similar sitation. Let us know more about what you need. Someone is sure to have a response.

Oh, and since I'm from Illinois, too, I just have to ask where in the state you are located. I'm in Chicago, Spaz is in the Chicago area, Jan is in Southern Illinois (hope I didn't forget anyone).

Here's to sound sleep tonight 8)

Ann