Hypereflexia

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Bernda

Hypereflexia

Post by Bernda »

Does anyone know if and how hypereflexia and RLS are related? I read this week that hypereflexia is a symptom of pre-eclampsia, which I had with my last pregnancy. I've had restless legs with that one and this pregnancy and was just wondering if there could be a connection.

Brenda

Allivymar

Post by Allivymar »

I don't know if hyperreflexia and RLS have a connection, but being pregnant myself and a RLS sufferer, I have done a lot of research of late.

It appears pregnancy can cause temporary RLS (which abates in those who normally do not suffer from it) in pregnant women, and exacerbates RLS in those who had it prior to being pregnant. I haven't fund any research explaining why tho; I guess its not a "popular" disorder, although from what I'm reading its quite common in pregnancy. Since I have had RLS for many years, and (so far!), my pregnancy has been uneventful otherwise, I suspect RLS and hyperreflexia have a different neurological base. But thats just MHO.

HTH
Alli