New guy question about Requip

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Cattolico

New guy question about Requip

Post by Cattolico »

Hi. I am new to the forum. I've had RLS for about 5 years. And I have a question about a very strange experience with Requip.

I first started on .25mg Requip. About a year later went to .5mg. Then maybe 2 years later up to 1.0mg. Then after 1-2 years, 1.0mg wasn't enough. So my doctor prescribed 1.5. I did not expect a problem. The other increases were effective and without incident. And the first night it was indeed OK: no side effects and sleep was much better. But then...

On the second night, I had this terrible reaction which is difficult to explain. My speech was kind of stammering. I had this weird suspended-animation feeling. Like my blood pressure had plunged, but maybe my heart was racing (I don't know this for a fact). However, my mind was clear. I just couldn't do much more than stand and stammer. But I was praying! And my wife was ready to dial 911. It seemed like forever, but it was probably about 2-3 minutes. When this episode ended, I was covered with cold sweat.

In summary 3 different attempts to increase my Requip to more than 1mg in a 24 hour period produced similar effects. Neither my family doctor nor 2 neurologists have the slightest idea what caused this. Has anyone here heard of such a thing or experienced anything similar?

Thanks for any info, and for listening.

Ed

runkrun

Post by runkrun »

My first thought when you mentioned that you "just stood there and stammered", did your physician mention a TIA, or small stroke. I don't know of any medications that would cause a person to be functioning and thinking clearly, but unable to speak. Could this just be a coincidence with your medication change? Did you have any facial drooping, right or left sided weakness? If your blood pressure dropped significantly you would feel as if you were going to pass out. Our medications for RLS definately have a range of side effects since they affect our central nervous system, but not being able to speak is not one of them. Are you scheduled for any further testing from your physician?
Last edited by runkrun on Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cattolico

Post by Cattolico »

Restless in Flushing,

Thanks for the reply. I could speak, just not very well. No, there was no facial drooping. No weakness on one side, or anything that might indicate a TIA. And no lingering after effects at all. I felt fine afterwards except for being soaked in cold sweat.

I don't know what my blood pressure actually was of course. But, yes, I did feel like I might pass out. I guess you might say I kind of lost my motor functions. It just felt like suspended animation. That's the only way I can think to describe it.

I don't think it was coincidence. Since it happened each time I tried an increase in Requip, and always about 45 minutes after taking it.

No, no related testing was done or is scheduled.

Thanks again.

Ed

runkrun

Post by runkrun »

If these signs and symptoms continue, you may want to google VasoVagal Syncope. Look this information over and see if it applies to you. There is testing to confirm this diagnosis.
Last edited by runkrun on Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cattolico

Post by Cattolico »

Restless,

That's an interesting theory. Thanks.

It only happened the 3 times I tried > 1mg. And there is no way I'll be trying that again.

Ed