Hip Pain

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Sara

Post by Sara »

[quote="Penguinrocks"]
Seems an evil irony that we can't sleep well b/c of RLS and if we don't get enough rest the RLS gets worse.[/quote]

You said a mouthful with that, Dawn! :roll:

Sara

new girl

hip pain

Post by new girl »

Hi Everyone,

I've just recently been diagnosed with RLS. For about two years, I've had hip pain. We thought it was a side effect from some other medication I was taking for something else. I stopped the medication but the hip pain stayed and has recently got worse. Now I am wondering if it is from the RLS.

sheila m

Hi everyone

Post by sheila m »

Hi everyone,

I was reading some of the post's I am new here and just wanted to give some of my insight. My pain started in my calf about 2 years ago my knee was also bothering me the one doctor I was seeing thought all of my cartlidge was gone because it felt like bones were rubbing against bone but when they took exrays found out no arthritis. I just recently had a sleep test done and thats when they found the restless leg I also see a neuro which say's my pain isn't from the restless leg but anyway like I said my pain started in my calf and it is now up in my hip and back I am in pain 24/7 I don't sleep at night but I am on meds for that and nerve pain neither one of my doc's can figure out why all the pain and why it is getting worse, I have pain in my other leg and arms but they are minor my right leg is the worest, driveing is real bad and being on my feet all day at work just kills me but my family doctor put me on a pain patch which does work for the pain then my insurence company decided they wasn't going to pay for the name brand and put me on a generic which started making me sick so now I have to wait to see if my insurence company is going to pay for the name brand again since I had a side effect from the generic if not then it is back on pain pills , the patch is nice you put it on and change it every 3 days and it was working good no pain I just changed it every 3 days so for you guys that are in alot of pain ask your doctor about a fentanyl pain patch it works but there are some side effects you so you will have to read
them and even though you take it off it stays in your system for 17 hours so I am hoping my insurence ok's to give me the name brand and I don't have a problem with them like the generic............ :)

sheila

zzz

hip pain..

Post by zzz »

what i have found this past few months is that my muscles around my hips/butt/low back are very very tender . ( i never thought to push on these muscles before) same thing when im driving the motion bothers my hips/ i cant jog anymore, stand in one spot for more than 5 mins.
:( its like they have been maxed out from the strain i have put on it over the past year ( this is when my legs started again after a 5yr break from it )
between the car acidents, bike acident (landed on my head),trying to learn the kayak roll (3hrs in the pool last year), stress at work, shovelling 2 houses last year, oh how i could go on :)
anyway, i started acupuncture cause just massage alone isnt working, and i really have slept without this trouble for the past 2 wks, so im hopeful.
just try this... put your fingers on the muscles around your hips/butt and push in go deep cause i figure this is deep tissue damage thats pushing on the spine and nerves, anyway i will keep you posted on acupuncture or anything else that works.
my sensations are compared to my legs going to sleep, that awful feeling that just wont go away unless i walk/stretch/pace AND around my period is the worst!
as i said before, i had this yrs ago, and i think it ceased when i started doing kick boxing with a co-worker around 5 yrs ago but then started up last year.. some nights i feel im going mad cause im trying everything non-medicinal.
thanks
any ideas/comparisons?

sheila m

Hi zzz

Post by sheila m »

Hey there zzz

I am only new here but I have a few health problems besides restless leg , I also am a diabetic and I am border line with the sleep apnia, I also have the on set of fibromyalgia, are you tender anywhere else like your shoulder blades or right in front from your collar bone down diagnal down to your breast bone is it tender there if someone pokes you does it hurt like someone is punching or if someone grabs you by the elbow that hurts sometimes it will put you threw the roof check out a sight on fibromyalgia it will show you the trigger points, there is also a thing called rsd ( reflex sympathetic distrophy) I think thats how you spell it but my family doctor thought it could be that to but the neuro I go to I think he thinks I am nuts because he say's my pain isn't from the restless leg it has to do with my nerves and fro me to go through a massage forget it I can't even stand someone even poking me it hurts so there would be no way I could do that but check out what I said , believe me I don't sleep at night without sleeping pills .......... :)

sheila

Lori

Post by Lori »

I'm horribly tender between my shoulder blades right now. :?

I've had neck pain for years (and if I'm real lucky, I get a tension headache to go with it). :roll: Over the past couple of years, the pain is worse and has spread down my spine. I wake up very stiff in the morning, and sometimes the pain between my shoulder blades is enough to make me wish I had serious painkillers in the house. After a few days of pain, the extreme tenderness follows.

You're right, Sheila. It's like someone punched me there, and now I'm badly bruised. This happens in a flare-like fashion. It'll be bad for a while, then it'll disappear, leaving me to wonder what I did to either make things worse or better.

I don't have other joint involvement, unless you want to count my hips (the left one started in today). My husband brought up Ankylosing Spondylitis, which I'm just starting to research. Anyone familiar with it?

So many of these issues involve the same symptoms. Whatever the diagnosis, it seems many of us are doomed to some level of pain on a nearly daily basis. It really bites sometimes.

:shock: *switches gears*

On a lighter note, Happy Weekend everyone! :)

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Hi Lori
I couldn't agree more! Sometimes, I'd like to cut the muscles to my neck because of the pain. Feels like you could bounce a quarter off of them. Then the hand shaking starts. Can't control that some days. I've taken 800 mgs of Ibuprofen to relieve the muscles, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Guess we're all in a hit or miss situation.
Love y'all
Dawn
Beware the Penguin

zzz

Post by zzz »

i dont have that tenderness where you mentioned , although my elbows are.... i have many knots in my muscles and my massage treatment/heat pad/hot baths didnt always help me yet when i started the acupunture with the electrodes ( i think thats the name) like pulsing, i have noticed less tightness/pain/ache AND i have had some of the best sleeps the past couple of weeks. only a couple of nights i was up with restless legs.. i had to rub some O-24 oils on my hips/butt/low back. but this was right before my monthly and when i put strain on my back.
i do take cal-mag/b6/esther c vitimins plus chaste berry tincture ( peri-menopause)
i only have one more visit with her and then i will have to stick with massage and my own stretching/vitamin routine and...hope for the best :shock:
i am worried about tonight cause the weather was great and i was outdoors "doing things", going for a bath now -epsom salts
has anyone tried acupuncture for this?

sheila m

Hi everyone

Post by sheila m »

Lori I know what you mean I hurt all the time it neverends , I get tired of feeling like a ginnypig I also get tired of taking all the meds. I have to take and with the sugar I have to test it 3 times a week but I still keep going sometimes I have to push myself but I go work is real tuff people tell me to file for disability or ssi but if I can work why my point is that there are so many people that get it that don't really need it an dI know some people who are on disability and there is nothing wrong with them because I know the doctor they went to and he said my husband had MS and after loseing a good job because the doctor said he could not work and put him on all kinds of meds for MS he started haveing seizures and after about 7 years give or take we found out after seeing another neuro that he doesn't even have MS and then I am hit with a bunch of health problems sometimes I think I am being punshed for something I can see haveing one health problem but everytime I go to the doctors they find something new first it was sugar then the restless leg I am border line for sleep apnia I have the on set of fibromyalgia it sucks well I need to go check my sugar fun fun fun .............. :cry:

sheila

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Well, I may have not done a "too smart thing" yesterday. About 11:30 a.m., I went to help my friends who just bought a house. I washed one whole room down, masked the trim and windows, painted two rooms with Kilz, and took down 3/4 of a room of wall paper. Didn't get home til 8 p.m When i work, i work hard and i should know my limits, but i don't. i can barely walk today...but i know i'll just have to "walk it off". Any recommendations for an OTC that'll help with pain but not knock me out?
Love
Dawn
Beware the Penguin

becat

Hello

Post by becat »

GGGGeezzzzz Penguin, wish you lived close, I need some help painting too. LOL Your a nice friend to help with that......and paying for it now.....you poor thing.
As for pain, I have not heard of anyone having problems with over the counter pain medications. It's just the amount you need to help. I think that for muscles you need something like Advil, but I couldn't tell ya how to take. Maybe a hot bath with epson salts. Heating pads, the throw away kind if your on the move today. It couldn't hurt to get some THeragesic rub and lather your sore areas a couple of times. I wish you had some Miracle II Gel. It does seem to help my aching muscles. I get mine on the internet, not timely for you right now.
This is something I think all of us learn, you know your asking for it when you really push it. I did the same thing every time I would visit my grandmother. Knowing that she liked her yard, trees, and garden a certain way......I'd get out there and try to finish it all in one day. Then I'd pay for it, but my heart felt good. Wish I could send you a massage through cyber space. :)
I hope you get to relax today.
As for wallpaper, hot water and Downy, takes it off so easy. Taking the paste or glue with it and leaving the room smelling wonderful.

Sara

Post by Sara »

Dawn--

I live--when I am working hard-- thanks only to arnica cream or gel. GREAT for sore muscles and tendonitis and stiff joints. Doesn't feel like it's doing ANYTHING, but later you notice you don't hurt so much.

Becat--

God bless Miracle II gel. It got me through the last hour of the "date night" movie hubby and I watched last night. Interesting that it doesn't really STOP the RLS symptoms, but it soothes or dulls or SOMETHING just enough to get it off my mind. It doesn't work as well for ME for sore muscles, but it's the only topical thing to help the RLS. And it's a wonder for cancer sores, mosquito bites and small abrasions, too. :D

Take care everybody.
Sara

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

I just like to help everyone I can. I know God will appreciate it when I get there. I know my friends do, too. Last night, we sat on the floor and had pizza, and it took me a good 15 to 20 to be able to get up off that floor. My friend asked me if he could help, and the answers always no. He felt awful and so did his wife. But, they've helped me out in just being my friends and sometimes taking my daughter out to things that I cannot do, like ice skate. He's become her big brother of sorts. Makes me feel good seeing how her sperm donor doesn't do much with her. :lol: Hope y'all are having a great weekend and thanks for the heads up on this.
Penguin
Beware the Penguin