Hip Pain

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Barb G

Hip Pain

Post by Barb G »

While reading Bio's I've seen a few references to having RLS in their hips. I'm curious about this and would like to hear more about it. I have been having hip pain for several years now. I assumed it was joint pain but the rumitologist (sp?) took erays and says there's no arthritus. He said it was likley muscular although he didn't elaborate. I don't understand getting muscel pain in a hip without any irritating factor like injury.
Just this week the pain has intensified in my left hip along with leg crams in my thighs. Could this be RLS related????
Barb G

Brian

Hip Pain

Post by Brian »

I am 28 years old. I just read your post and feel like there might be a link between your hip pain and RLS. I have had RLS all my life or at least as long as I can remember. In my teen I was in soccer, but was forced to quit because of severe pain in my hips, mostly the right side. It felt like I had no cartilage in my hips. Well, I recently stumbled upon this site and identified my RLS. Up until then I had no idea RLS existed. To make a long story short, I found it interesting that you had hip pain also and wonder if there is anyone else out there that might be suffering from the same symptoms as us. My hips dont bother me as much anymore (as long as I dont walk long distances.) and my RLS mostly affects me when I am driving, but when it hits I am driven nuts by the overwhelming need to flex my calves, sides, arms and neck. If you have any new information, please let me know. b3koester@hotmail.com

Brian

Hip Pain

Post by Brian »

I am 28 years old. I just read your post and feel like there might be a link between your hip pain and RLS. I have had RLS all my life or at least as long as I can remember. In my teen I was in soccer, but was forced to quit because of severe pain in my hips, mostly the right side. It felt like I had no cartilage in my hips. Well, I recently stumbled upon this site and identified my RLS. Up until then I had no idea RLS existed. To make a long story short, I found it interesting that you had hip pain also and wonder if there is anyone else out there that might be suffering from the same symptoms as us. My hips dont bother me as much anymore (as long as I dont walk long distances.) and my RLS mostly affects me when I am driving, but when it hits I am driven nuts by the overwhelming need to flex my calves, sides, arms and neck. If you have any new information, please let me know. b3koester@hotmail.com

Barb G

Post by Barb G »

Thanks for your reply Brian. I'm a little surprised that no one has replyed until now. I'd love to figure out what's up with my hip pain.
I will certainly let you know if I get any feedback.
Barb G

Br4ian

Hip Pain

Post by Br4ian »

Wow, I didn't expect a response 20 minutes after I typed my first reply. lol. Thanks for responding. I heard that RLS gets worse with age, is that true? I am concerned. As far as I know no one in my family has the disorder. I didn't know this was as serious as it is. I keep trying to mentally "fix" my problem and sometimes it works. I have no trouble sleeping at night for the most part, but driving and sitting still are a constant problem. I pray for all the people out there who have serious symptoms, they are stronger than anyone gives them credit for. Also, do you know if maybe drug use by my mother could have caused this? God Bless.

Br4ian

Hip Pain

Post by Br4ian »

Wow, I didn't expect a response 20 minutes after I typed my first reply. lol. Thanks for responding. I heard that RLS gets worse with age, is that true? I am concerned. As far as I know no one in my family has the disorder. I didn't know this was as serious as it is. I keep trying to mentally "fix" my problem and sometimes it works. I have no trouble sleeping at night for the most part, but driving and sitting still are a constant problem. I pray for all the people out there who have serious symptoms, they are stronger than anyone gives them credit for. Also, do you know if maybe drug use by my mother could have caused this? God Bless.

Barb G

Post by Barb G »

I'm realitivly new here too. But it certainly sounds like it gets progressivly worse. I think my uncle has it. Only becase I remember my aunt giving him nightly leg rubs. I also no not have trouble with sleeping. I hope that doesn't change.

Read as many post as you can on here, it's quite informative.

I asked for a notification if someone repleed, that's why I answeres so quickly. Also I'm on the computer way too much :D
Barb G

Sara

Post by Sara »

Welcome Barb and Brian--

Nice to have you on the group, just wish you didn't have RLS (like we ALL wish! :D )

I was sort of surprised Barb didn't get a reply sooner, too, but lately a lot of our most prolific members have been busy with things keeping them from the forums.

Barb I saw you post the day you wrote it, and didn't think I had anything to say about it, but it was interesting to me after reading Brian's replies, maybe I DO have a similar story... but maybe not with me.

I have hip stiffness, but probably not really "pain", especially if I sit or lay for any period of time on a hard surface (been painting baseboards lately, so been stiff a LOT :roll: :) ). I don't know if it has anything to do with RLS or not. I have been pretty sure that I have arthritis in my hands and feet for a while now, so it MIGHT be related to that-- but I've not been to a doctor for diagnosis, so I MIGHT end up with the same comments you got, Barb. Hard to tell. I'm almost 40 and have led a physically busy life, though I'm not in super shape. I'm sure that if something "muscular" could cause that, it wouldn't be out of the question that I might have that.

HOWEVER, when Brian was talking about his hip pain from soccer, it reminded me of hip pain that my husband has had for years now (he also had very bad knee pain when we were teenagers). The pain was exacerbated by having a horse fall on him a few years ago, but I know that even when we were in our early 20s he didn't like to walk or hike very much because his hips always hurt him. He's VERY fit, as I'm sure Brian is, and both strong and uncomplaining, so I know that if he commented on it all these years, it must have REALLY been troublesome. And it's just lately gotten much worse.

The reason that this interests me, is because I THINK Jeff has RLS and PLMD, even though he's scoffed at that idea. I told the folks here that one time he told me and our younger son who both have RLS that "everyone's feet jerk around when their tired." And I tried not to take that personally (as a minimization of my RLS). But the more I think about it, and the more I watch him in the evenings, the more he shows signs that he may WELL be experiencing something akin to what we all suffer... he's just not seeing it that way.

In fact, I don't think I have PLMD... but he's ALWAYS been very jerky in his sleep, and his legs/feet DO seem to jerk involuntarily in the evenings when we sit on the couch. I bounce, press, wiggle and jerk my feet all evening if I stay sitting... but it's mostly voluntary, and it seems (from his accounts) to stop when I lay down and sleep.

So I have no real "answer" for whether or not the hip pain you two have is or isn't RLS-related, but THANK YOU for bringing up the subject and getting me and others thinking about it. Maybe it will eventually help us find out if it's related or not?!!!

And YES, RLS is generally progressive... but not in a "straight line" necessarily. When I joined this group initially, it was because my RLS, which had been mild but persistent, all the sudden became first nightly and then in the mornings, too, and then was occasionally 24/7! I had heard about RLS a couple of years ago by accident, and the reason I came here was to find out what I could expect in progression, and what I might be able to do about it if it continued to progress so quickly.

The good news is that my RLS calmed back down after that flare-up that brought me here, and it's now basically nightly, but manageable. Like the two of you (and unlike MOST of the members here) I do also sleep. In fact, going to bed seems to be the one thing that relieves my RLS symptoms. And I'm sooooo thankful, especially after meeting the folks here. It could be so much worse than it is so far.

As Barb said, there's lots to learn reading the posts here, and advice and support to give and to get. :D

I wish you both well, and hope that you'll stick around and continue to share with us all here.

Sara :D

Lori

Post by Lori »

Hi Everyone,

I just found this site today. While reading through all the threads, the mention of hip pain really caught my attention.

You know how it is when you don't quite realize what's going on until you look at things in hindsight? Then you think, "Ah ha...so that's it." This is what's happening to me right now.

I had growing pains as a child, but they came and went, so I thought nothing of it. My 9 y/o daughter has the same thing.

I have awakened in the middle of the night in the past with jittery legs, enough to push me out of bed simply because lying there wasn't an option. It bothered me, but I always blamed it on something I must have done that day. I didn't have enough nights like this to be concerned, so when the feelings went away, I forgot about it.

Last night was a big one though. I woke up at 1am to the jitteriness, almost like my legs wanted to run 3 miles, but the rest of me wasn't up to it. I tried reading on the couch but felt the irresistible urge to move my legs back and forth or bounce my knees up and down. Eventually, I had to pace the floor in an attempt to get what felt like this built up energy out of my legs. I paced on and off for 4 hours.

Around 5:30, the feelings in my legs decreased enough to let me fall asleep, but they never quite went away. It just seems to be simmering now, and I sometimes feel it in my lower torso and arms.

I do currently have a cold and took Benadryl last night. I read somewhere on here that this could make the problem worse.

I have also been dealing with hip pain over the last year, and my doc can't seem to find the origin. I'm very active and love to work out, so he just assumed I injured myself. But after a few invasive tests, no evidence of injury was found. He found it very frustrating (he fully expected to see a torn labrum) and at one point said, "I wonder if it's a nerve issue." He wants to do more, but I told him "You've done everything you can...I'll live with it."

*whew!* Sorry for blabbing. I'm a little scared. The feelings I had last night were really a ramped up version of the little episodes I've experienced in the past, and I was frightened this might be the beginning of MS or ALS. After reading the threads here, I have hope that RL might be the culprit.

I haven't told anyone, including my husband who is an MD. This is the first time I have ever discussed this ~ thank you so much for listening.

Lori :)

Sara

Post by Sara »

HI, Lori--

Sorry to hear about the tough night you had. Everyone here can relate. Your symptoms DO sound familiar. As a matter of fact, my feet and knees feel like they could run several miles right now, too. :roll:

I'll be interested what your MD hubby says when you do mention coming here to him. Like you, I had symptoms intermittently for years and just always thought it was some idiosyncracy of my own body-- until I overheard some ladies on another medical support group mention that their restless leg syndrome was driving them crazy. First time I researched it (a couple of years ago), the thing that made the bells go off in my head was that I remembered the WORST episode I ever had was when I was 18 years old, exhausted, sitting in traffic in my husband's car, and had been taking COLD MEDICINE for the killer flu from hell!

I found this site a year or so ago, when I had a "progression" in my symptoms... from a couple of nights a week to all-day everyday (though THANKFULLY milder sensations). I wanted to know what was likely to be ahead. Just wanted to say, though, that THAT particular "progression" didn't last at that level. So evidently the syndrome doesn't always progress "in a straight line". I'm having night AND morning symptoms this week, but a lot of the time between when I started here and now, my symptoms had settled back into just a few nights a week. I think I recognize early symptoms sooner in the day and am able to take counter-measures before it's at it's worst-- and at MY level of severity, that's helpful.

But you can feel comforted... there's every type of person, every level of symptoms, lots of ages... and we all know what it sounds like you're describing.... the need to move, the frustration with the feelings, thinking it was 'just you' or something you did, etc. Not sure about the hip pain, but interesting that you DID get tested pretty specifically and nothing was found. It MIGHT be related to the RLS, as some here have experienced. I posted to this before about my husband. He still insists he doesn't have RLS, but boy, has he been pressing and jerking and wiggling his feet every night on the coffee table next to mine... especially when he's exhausted and having trouble staying awake. :wink:

So welcome, and keep us posted. Hope you get a better sleep tonight. :D

Sara

Lori

Post by Lori »

Thank you, Sara. I'm happy to have found you guys.

I just spoke with my brother, and he says he gets the same thing when he takes Nyquil. He is otherwise symptom free.

I think the Benadryl really threw me for a loop. I still feel funny, but on a much lower scale.

Fortunately, my husband is pretty open minded. He isn't as dogmatic as some other docs, though he does occasionally fall prey to the "But it doesn't fit the criteria." trap. :roll: :lol: For the most part though, he's fair. Our daughter has a seizure disorder, and since just about anything can happen in the brain, our experiences with her have made him a much more flexible physician.

I would hesitate to bring this up with any other doc though. Someone who has no idea what this feels like could too easily write the patient off as "nuts."

Have a good weekend, everyone. :)

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

My hip pain is pretty bad tonight. I don't know if it's working a full time work week or ??? I can't wait until I can go to see the neuro. I'm trying to keep an open mind that he/she'll not just brush me off and think i'm crazy.
I hope you all have a nice pain free full of sleep weekend
Love
Dawn
Beware the Penguin

Post by Guest »

My hip and thigh are hurting quite a bit too. And the thigh muscles are twitching like crazy.

I'm wondering if the all-nighter I had a couple of days ago has something to do with it. :?

Hope you feel better soon, Dawn.

Lori

Sara

Post by Sara »

Lori--

Now that RLS is "on your radar", do keep in mind that both stress and being overtired (or sick, even if you don't take antihistimines, sometimes!) can be triggers for symptoms.

Before I started having it as often as I do now, the nights I WOULD have it were almost always when I was really tired and/or sick. That's why both our 12 year old and I (and my sister-in-law's hubby, too, as a matter of fact) can get SOME relief by being careful about our bedtimes. The later I stay up and the tireder I get, the more RLS I'll have and the harder it will be for me to get to sleep when I do lay down.

So if you're tuckered out from the other night, that MIGHT be contributing to your discomfort tonight. :roll:

Hang in there!

Sara :D

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Sara, as usual you have a real good point. This past week was very hard on me emotionally. The man who hired me 17 years ago, was forced to retire. (I'll spare you the ugly politics) Anyway, I spent all last Saturday building him a money tree from the collection that people sent. I also wrote one of my poems. So on Thursday, I stood in front of a big crowd and shared my heart with everyone. Boy, not only did the standing hurt like crazy, so did my heart. At any rate, by Friday, I felt like my brain and heart had been caught in a twister.
Seems an evil irony that we can't sleep well b/c of RLS and if we don't get enough rest the RLS gets worse.
Beware the Penguin