Mayo Experience

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Lewis21403

Mayo Experience

Post by Lewis21403 »

Good day all. I recently went to Mayo Clinic in Rochester for my RLS. I saw Dr. Mohrn to start the day. He took all my info and gave me a head to toe exam. Very nice and caring Dr. I then went on to see Dr. Silber. A world renowned Dr. for RLS. I first saw his assistant. Dr. Martin. A very nice, young, good looking Dr. The kind ya see on TV. He checked me out from head to toe. Listened to my story and just when he was about to get Dr. Silber he gave me his 2 cents. He told me that I should get off the T3's and on to a non narcotic form of treatment. I am too young to be on narcotics.(by the way, I'm 42..)He mentioned Neurotten! Like I said in the past, I apologize if you the reader are on that med and it works. Great for you, but I lost 2 people in the past to that drug so I WILL not TAKE that drug. He was cool with my rantings. anyways, Dr. Silber came in. He had a german ish type of accent. He checked me from head to toe. Listened to my story and told me to stay on the T3's and Myrapex if that is waht is working. Gave me advice on what other drugs are out there and was a over all great Dr. I found his name on this forum and I just wana thank all of you who gave him great marks. If you are stuck with a less then satisfactory Dr. go see Dr. Silber. It is worth it. I actually timed my visits and this is the break down for thoes who say Mayo is too backed up and you sit all day(which does happen alot there)..
Arrived at Dr. Mohrn office 7:10 a.m.
saw Dr. Mohrn @ 7:40-8:10
Arrived @ Dr. Silber's office @ 1:15
saw Dr. Martin from 1:30-2:10
Dr. Silber came in @ 2:15-3:05

All in all I am very happy with the visit and I finally feel like I have a Dr. on my side that cares. I have slept great and no more 3 mile hikes in my basement at 3 a.m. Go see him if you need a good Dr. You all have a great day and Happy Holidays. Santa has given me the best gift ever...Lewis
Can some one get the snakes outa my veins?

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Lewis I am very happy for you. Also it is great that you had a very satisfactory appointment and are able to add your recommendation.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I just sent a scathing letter to a National Sleep Association doctor regarding some of the treatment many of us receive when seeing doctors.

What a nice surprise to come here and see the exact opposite: someone who had a satisfactory experience.

I am so thrilled for you.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

runkrun

Post by runkrun »

Louis 21403, Glad to hear you were able to see the "BIG" guys at Mayo Clinic. I saw Dr Silber for a consultation in Sept. The $500.00 plus for traveling expenses was well worth it! He pretty much agreed w/my current medication regimen Lyrica 150mg 3 times a day,Xanax 1mg twice a day, but changed my Norco 10/325 10/day to Oxycodone 15mgs every 4-6 hrs. My RLS is under control, but have been feeling rather fatigued and depressed lately. The best part from my appt. was the validation of my disorder and severity. Others, including some family members really don't understand regarding all the medication and not able to go to the movies, out to dinner, or any other sitting activities. So, very happy to hear your appt. went well. The feedback will help others on this discussion board. For those who's insurance won't cover the visit, my consultation cost $440.00, not including travel expenses.

D4

Post by D4 »

Merry Christmas Lewis! I've been going to Dr. Silber for several years and I also appreciate having him as my doctor. He was able to diagnose a rare sleep disorder that I have. He can't do anything for that, but he got my RLS and PLMD under control. I see him annually for a recheck. At least he gave a name to my major problem because I had been blown off by doctors for 20+ years.