Now 10 years with RLS.

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
JPT99

Now 10 years with RLS.

Post by JPT99 »

Hi all,

I'm a 30 year old male.

I'm new to RLS.org but have suffered from this awful condition for 10 years, at least I think this condition is restless legs syndrome. Maybe you guys could read my story and help me decide.

It all started in summer 99 when as a 20 year old I took a summer-long working holiday on a Greek island.
Needless to say I overdid it on the alcohol and cigerattes and right toward the end of the summer the symptoms appeared.
It arrived all of a sudden and at first I thought the "palpatations" and movement sensation were coming from my heart.
I couldn't sit down and relax. I couldn't read. I couldn't watch a movie.
When I got back home I went to the doctor, still thinking it was caused by a pounding heart. He seemed bemused and put me on propranonol which apparently cuts off the supply of adreninal to the heart.
This did me no good.
However as the months went by I realised that the restless senstation wasn't coming from my chest but from my lower back and legs.
I have read people here saying their rls only comes on at night but for me it's ever waking moment, right from when I get up.

I have to watch a movie in 2-3 parts, hardly ever read books anymore. Im graduated from college now but classes were a nightmare.
Trips to the cinema are a no go. The only activity where I notice less symptoms is when I play video games - they seem to engage my mind more and I get distracted from the rls.

Anyways I've been to various other doctors and most if not all think I'm insane. I finally convinved the latest doc to prescribe me some mirapex but believe you me the rls went off the scales - it was completely unbearable - it every spread to me arms. I hear an augementation period may be experienced where symptoms worsen but after 4-5 days I had to quit taking them. Was almost as if my body was being controlled my some remote control.

I have quit alcohol completely for the last 6 months and really thought this might give me results. But I haven't really noticed much improvement.
My experience of rls on alcohol was that sometimes while drinking symptoms may lessen and others a lot worse. Could depend on the additives of the different types of drink.
Hangover - symptoms were often better and I could watch a full movie after drinking the night before but the day after the hangover the RLS got very bad.
If i had a cigerette then WOW - complete intenseification of rls. A completely unnevrving sensation as if my whole body was in thrall to the smoke. Just horrible.

So that's my story. Sorry if it's a little disjointed and I really appreciate you taking the time to read and maybe post some reponses.
Is this classic RLS or something different? Believe me it affects me 24/7.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Does walking and movement relieve your symptoms for any length of time, or at least whilst you are moving: This is a classic indicator.

There are lots of other medications to try. Take a look at the Mayo Clinic Algorithm which explains these and also lists the 3 o 4 'requirements' for rls diagnosis. You will get a link at the bottom of Zachs posts, and I think also on Viewsaskew's posts.

Look at the Southern California site where Dr B has hundreds of questions and answers. In particular there are a lot of prescribed meds which aggravate rls and are listed.

See also the Jill Gunzel RLS Rebel site which gives tricks for relief without medication.

I also have symptoms 24/7 but use medication for control.

Others will be along soon who can provide more in depth information.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation