Breastfeeding and RLS

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
kelley

Breastfeeding and RLS

Post by kelley »

I'm new to this site, but am familiar with RLS, since my dad has been taking medication for it for 15 years. My RLS really didn't start acting up until I started breastfeeding. Some nights I could hardly sleep due to the jerking of my legs and anytime I sit for at least 15 minutes, when I stand up my feet and calves ache. Iron supplements have helped some, but I am unable to take any meds due to breastfeeding. I'm curious, has anyone else found a connection between RLS and breastfeeding? Any good remedies?

Kelley, 35 and new mom

runkrun

Post by runkrun »

Kelley, I have'nt had the experience of RLS symptoms and breastfeeding. My RLS did'nt really kick in until my children were much older. You may want to check w/ your physicians and see if you can take one of the dopamine antagonists( Mirapex,Requip ) and safely breastfeed. If they advise against it, I'd suggest some of the non pharmaceutical approaches. Exercise, hot baths, and massage are always helpful for me. Also, I've found that some foods make my symptoms worse, caffeine, wheat products such as breads,etc. A food journal my be helpful. Your sleep being interrupted maybe causing some problems also. But that is a fact of life young moms go through w/ small children. I hope you get some relief soon. God Bless

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I've not heard of breastfeeding being the kicker - it often starts in 2nd or 3rd trimester.

Did you have a difficult delivery? The amount of blood loss could be significant. I'd suggest blood tests of ferritin and hemoglobin. You could be anemic or low in ferritin. Either could cause RLS.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.