Checking it out

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
rlsfirefly

Checking it out

Post by rlsfirefly »

Like others here, I am new to the board but not new to RLs. Looking for people who understand what I am going through and maybe find some new ideas to help out with the RLS.

So who are the main people who post here? I see there are moderators, do they have RLS also? What happens if someone posts about a medicine or treatment that hasn't been tested? I'm a little gunshy about discussion boards in general because it seems like one or two people just use it for their own agendas. I haven't looked around enough here to know if that happens or not. I'veheard good things about the RLS foundation so thought I would try out the discussion board.

rlsfirefly

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

rlsfirefly: I have been posting here since, I think, 2004 or 2005. There are ones who are on the discussion board on a regular basis. And I guess I am one of those. I'm here because I have a severe case of RLS and am constantly asking questions, but I do try to be supportive and encourageing.

I found this site by accident. Early one morning walking the floor (that old monster RLS.) crying, miserable, got on the computer, standing up. I couldn't set down my legs were so bad. I found this site, got on the discussion board and poured my heart out. I got so many replys, kind, encouraging, understanding. The first time in my life I felt someone knew what I was suffering, here were people like me.

I never found any reason not to be here. I have learned so much. I hope you find the same thing.

And I'm sure every one here has RLS. No one dominates the board. It is just a friendly helpful place.

Check it out for yourself.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

I thought of something else---no one here are doctors. You have to make your own decisions, with the help of your doctor, as to what meds you will take. Or what you will try. What is discussed here are just personal view points, what we are doing for our RLS. What works for one may not work for the next person. We are all different.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Back again. Read the note at the bottom of ViewsAskew's posts and she said it best.

BETTY/WV

rlsfirefly

Post by rlsfirefly »

Thanks Betty. Sometimes I come across as accusing or grouchy but I've just had some bad experiences before. I hope this is a place that I can trust and honestly I am kieeping an open mind. I really appreciate your quick response.

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

No, I didn't take your posts like that. It is wise to be careful and I understand how you feel. And anyone with RLS is entitled to be grouchy. I am quite often myself.

BETTY/WV

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hello Firefly and Welcome.
Yes indeed the Moderators have RLS.
We are sufferers like everyone else on this site,

Anything you learn on this site has been at the experience of an rls sufferer like yourself. And just like Betty /WV, it was desperation for information that led us to this site.

We hope you find that it is a comforting and welcome place to come when you have questions to ask or just need to talk about your symptoms. Or even about life in general, we have a section for Non-RLS.

I joined several years ago having lived with rls for 30+ years and have never found a reason not to be here.

We hope you enjoy this site.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Each forum/board certainly has its own character.

I guess the only way to find out is read current posts.

The mods write frequently, but I don't think any of us dominate the conversation as our posts are usually in response to others. We definitely have different personalities, but I think our only agenda is to assist each other, provide accurate information, and maybe to help people make decisions by giving them different perspectives.

Hope this works out for you.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I've never been even remotely tempted to join another board. This one, though, I like. Reasonable viewpoints prevail.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Welcome to the forum. Feel free to ask questions and take a look around. I also have RLS, and found out a year ago that I also have narcolepsy, so I'm not around here as much as I used to be. But this is a great forum and people are very helpful.
Susan

rlsfirefly

Post by rlsfirefly »

I appreciate everyone's response and hope I can learn from you. Maybe I will even have something to contribute! I hope I have not gotten off on the wrong foot in some of my other posts. Just one suggestion, remember that us new people may not have your experiences with each other and this board. Some information you may take for granted may not be something we have experienced. Just have patience (which I see on here) when we ask questions or make observations that are obvious to you or that may be contrary to what you believe. I haven't been on here long enough to know if that happens or not but it doesn't seem to. It's just experiences I have had on other boards. Some don't want to answer or talk to you unless you are "their kind" of person, one who they have talked to a lot. These are not hits aimed at this board or anyone on here, just things to watch for to head them off if they should. There needs to be a good place to come to with honest, earnest people wanting to discuss with anyone else who comes for help. I'm glad to know that the RLS Foundation supports one.
Firefly

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hello Firefly

I hope you find this site to be a friendly and welcoming site, which is just what I found it to be some years ago when I first came across in during a night of sheer desperation.

It is still my rock....
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation