I think i have RLS but not sure

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Anonymous

I think i have RLS but not sure

Post by Anonymous »

Hello everyone my name is Jay,
For a few years now i have had a problem with my legs shaking up and down when i sit.....always have had tingling in my legs while sitting, and occational spasms with my arms and legs when i sit for for more than 10min. at a time......just recently within the last few months i have notices the spasms occuring more and more often....i dont know if i have RLS and i cant afford to go to the doctor to find out. It doesnt really affect me on a daily basis but when it does it hurts my calfs almost to the point of tearing up but there is nothing i can do to stop the pain...stretching doesnt even help. I would like to know if anyone has any advice or anything to give me to help control it.
Thanx Jay

Sara

Post by Sara »

Hey, Jay--

sorry you're having a rough time.

There are a couple of specific questions a doc will ask to determine if you have RLS. There's not a "chemical" test or anything.

Someone else will come on and tell you the specific four questions (since I'm drawing a blank right this second-- isn't that silly!) , but the biggest one, I know is if you feel compelled to move when you have these sensations and if movement relieves them.

You said if you sit more than 10 minutes it starts up, so I'm assuming it means that if you get up and move around, you feel better????

When I'm having my worst flare-ups, I'll find that anytime (day or night) I sit down -- or sometimes even stand still for any period of time-- it will start up. I think that the reason it bothers me the most in the evening, generally, is PARTLY at least because that's the only time I sit down to relax. :roll:

Welcome to the forum, and be sure to read through some of the old messages. I think it'll start to answer your questions. Also, there are a number of us who posted bio's on the forum (usually listed in our sig files). If you read through the threads that have bios, you'll get lots of information about our symptomology.

ALSO, you might well want to take the RLS survey our member, Jumpyowl set up. By answering the questions, I think you might well get a better idea about whether or not you have RLS, too.

Take care. Sara