Yet Another New to Site but Not New to RLS

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
sleepdancer

Yet Another New to Site but Not New to RLS

Post by sleepdancer »

Introducing myself... Dx with RLS and PLMD in the late 90's. Also have obstructive sleep apnea and use CPAP. Been thru Sinemet, Mirapex, Neurontin, & Requip (all with eventual side effects and/or augmentation). Currently taking no Rx meds (3 weeks) for the RLS/PLMD and seeking ideas for non pharmaceutical solutions. Do take some supplements per Dr's instruction. (Multivit, Iron, Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, Vit D, Potassium). Considering acupuncture. Currently using a TENS Unit with electrodes placed on my lower back and I'm highly encouraged that only 2 nights were what I'd call bad, but even my worst night recently was far better than my best nights in the past couple years on the Requip that I just quit taking after 3 years. My sleep disorders, along with some other health problems, resulted in early retirement on disability. At my worst, during a prolonged period of a few years of severe augmentation, I video taped myself sleeping and that video is on YouTube under the user name kickemhi. Lately I'm not kicking so high (thankfully), but I feel there is improvement yet to be had, and I'm hoping to learn from others here how they are achieving restful sleep.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi sleepdancer - glad to hear that things are better off the drugs. I'm also familiar with augmentation - that has got to be the worst possible place to be!

The search function here isn't great, but it might help you get some background on it. I just searched on TENS and found several threads in which it's discussed.

My guess is that TENS is like acupuncture - works for some, doesn't work for most. For some odd reason, almost everything works for someone.

Hopefully you'll be one that it works for consistently.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Hi sleepdancer. If the TENS works, it would be helpful if you could explain where you placed the electrodes on your body (and which was + and which -), and what type of signal you were using (frequency, modulation). I don't understand that frequency/modulation stuff but if you sent enough info, someone else could set up the machine the same way without needing to understand it. If you find a way that works, that is. (I think you said in another thread the TENS is mostly for your PLMD and not RLS.)

I think the same applies for acupuncture, it must make a huge difference where the needles are placed, but few people ever mention it.

I saw your youtube video. Absolutely crazy. It's not so bad now that you're not augmenting?

sleepdancer

TENS Unit

Post by sleepdancer »

My machine has some presets so I just push the button for lower back. I use it for about 20 minutes just before bedtime. I've played with the electrodes placement and tried numerous locations on the feet, legs, and back. I'm sorry, but I don't even know about postive and negative on the electrodes. The only placements that give me a few hours of good sleep are with all 4 very low and close to the middle on the back. So far I haven't seen a big difference between whether the leads are in a box or in an X as I just started switching it up. A few nights I ended up getting back up and doing it all over again when I saw the night wasn't going well, but I haven't had less than 5 decent hours sleep a night for 2-3 weeks, and most nights are 6-7.

As far as my video, those exaggerated movements were a result of augmentation on Mirapex. I have another video to post that is my movements while still on Requip and the movements are more what is expected with PLMD, lots of feet and toes contraction/release and some lower leg movements, and a few larger leg "lifts". If I can trust how I feel, I don't think my movements are nearly so intense since using the TENS. On my last sleep study, it was said my RLS was more problematic than my PLMD, but I don't think that's the case lately. I plan to vieotape again soon for comparison.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

vuewed the video - wow, that's some kicking. !!!
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

the positive and negative are just the different colors, usually red and black.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

How can they detect from a sleep study that your RLS is more problamatic than your PLMD? I thought there is no RLS during sleep.

Corrie

sleepdancer

TENS Unit

Post by sleepdancer »

My lead wires are both brown. My electrodes are all white. each lead splits to accomodate 2 electrodes. Are these positive and negative, or are both on one lead postive and both on the other lead negative? Gee, I'm seeing how little I know about this thing I'm using. :(

badnights

Post by badnights »

Sounds like I don't know either. My unit is very different, I guess. I suppose each of your lead wires splits into a + and a - and it doesn't matter which is which.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Wow, that video is just painful to watch. I'm glad things are better now.
Susan