RLS vs PLMD

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
sleepdancer

RLS vs PLMD

Post by sleepdancer »

I think the random movements during periods of wakefulness getting to sleep and between sleep periods were suggestive of rls. I think it was saying I have more activity then than with the repetitive motions while asleep. (Note: "I think") But I was under the impression that the sensations of rls can still happen when we are asleep. Am I mistaken about that?

badnights

Post by badnights »

nope, not mistaken.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I get RLS in my sleep, but usually only notice it when I'm in REM. Of course, since I have narcolepsy, I'm very often in REM. I try to move in my dreams to relieve the RLS and often wake myself up. Although now that I'm taking Xyrem at night, that relieves the RLS as well as puts me in deep sleep, so it's not a problem.
Susan

badnights

Post by badnights »

Susan, are you getting any side effects from the xyrem? or is it all good, like magic :wink: ?

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Xyrem has been a total life-changer, and most of the changes are good. However, taking 1.5 grams of sodium every night has me taking blood pressure meds, and there are some other not so pleasant things about it. It's awesome in that when I take it, it's bedtime and I will go to sleep, usually within half an hour. And if I'm having RLS or pain, that will go away until it wears off in a few hours. But in the morning as the last dose wears off, I get horrible anxiety and some crazy rebound RLS for about an hour. I've been able to manage the anxiety with vitamins and supplements and some deep breathing, meditation, Neuro-Stim, and music. And for the RLS, I've had to shift most of my methadone to the early morning to cover the increase.

It's been worth it, though. I have much less cataplexy, and my daytime sleepiness is so much easier to manage. I rarely nap during the day anymore, and spend about 8 hours sleeping per night. I used to spend 15-20 hours a day sleeping!

OK, that was probably way more than you wanted to know.
Susan

badnights

Post by badnights »

No, that was good! You haven't said much in so long, and I didn't know if it was for bad or good reasons :?. I guess more good than bad, which is fantastic. Sucks about the blood pressure but I'm glad it's worth it.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Thanks for your interest, Beth. I know I haven't been around much; after all those years of barely being able to do anything except sleep and go online, I'm just not spending a lot of time on the computer anymore. I have places to go, things to do, people to see, and energy to do stuff.

Are you feeling any better these days?
Susan

badnights

Post by badnights »

No, but I cried about that in another thread. The worse my life gets, the more bad things I manage to attract to me. (Sometimes I think people are like a pack of starving dogs; they'll turn on you if falter and fall.) But some things are good, for instance I've gotten to see how wonderful some people I know are. Just keep truckin' I guess.

I'm glad you have things to do and a life to live! Thanks God for Buchfuhrer and people like him.