Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
JulieSOS

Post by JulieSOS »

I'm new to this discussion board. My name is Julie, 67 years old with RLS since I was a child. Oh I use to call it the Hebbie Jebbies though. :wink:

I have been using Gabapentin since 1999 and it's working pretty well but I have my spells. Last night was one of them. Up and down till 4:00 in the morning. Probably nothing new to those who have it a lot worse than me. I would like to stay up on new methods, drugs and support.

sleepdancer

Newbie welcome

Post by sleepdancer »

Welcome Julie. Hopefully you'll find discussions here that will help you as you seek to improve your RLS control. Do communicate closely with your doctors about what's working and what is not.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Hi Julie! A lot of information gets passed along in these posts, so just keep checking and commenting on things, or asking questions. You'll pick up a lot of useful things that way.

Have you read the RLS Foundation's Medial Bulletin? It's intended for doctors, but it's a wonderful, up-to-date summary of what RLS is and the latest in how to treat it. Here's a link:
http://www.rls.org/Document.Doc?&id=2112

It's fantastic that you've been on one drug for over 10 years! I used gabapentin for a while; it helped but not enough. It got rid of the creepy sensations but left me with the urge to kick-kick-kick.

Do you see your doctor a lot, get your iron checked and stuff like that?

JulieSOS

Post by JulieSOS »

Thanks for the welcome.

Bethf, no I have never read that Drs. bulletin. I do get the Nightwalkers one. The Drs. one looks very informative as I just glanced at it now but will go back and read it now. Thank you very much.

JulieSOS

Post by JulieSOS »

After I got a chance to look the Drs. bulletin over I realized that Yes, I did receive it in the mail. I do appreciate you mentioning it though.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Julie,

Have you read any of the RLS books? In terms of treatment, the book by Hening, Buchfuhrer and Lee is my favorite. I think the name is The Clinical Management of RLS. It's written for Primary Care doctors; I've even given it to my doctors so that they can get a better understanding of the options.

Welcome to the board.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

JulieSOS

Post by JulieSOS »

Ann, no I haven't read those. the only book I have is by Jill Gunzel. It's a book of ways other than medications to help. I will look up those authors. I believe I have see Dr. Buchfuher's name before.