back to the board...

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
mbsweeney

back to the board...

Post by mbsweeney »

I used this board extensively about three years ago to try getting my RLS under control. I've tried many non-pharm remedies recommended on this board (about 20 different remedies, from a bar of soap up to hydro-electric current), none of which were much use. The only thing I haven't tried is traction.

As far as pharmaceuticals: I augmented on Requip after using it with great results for about two years. The augmentation was horrible, my wife called the paramedics because she thought I was dying. I actually thought I was at the end as well, could barely move/breathe, very low heart rate/tunnel vision, ugh... Tried Gabapentin, never again.

I've been taking .5 of Mirapex, and .5 of Clonazepam, with good success for about two years and just started getting breakthrough symptoms.

Being recently unemployed, I don't currently have medical insurance. I emailed the Booth Gardner Clinic here in Washington State to see if there are any studies I can get on, and who to contact when I get insurance again.

I wonder if any of you have questions/research/experience on the relations between ADHD and Parkinson's with RLS? I was diagnosed Inattentive ADHD about six years ago (the daydream/distractable type, not hyper), my dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's about three years ago, and I have discovered that other family members have had Parkinson's and RLS.

Thanks for all your help in the past and future. I am glad to be back and look forward to sharing what I find.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Welcome to the Board and sorry to hear what an awful and alarming time you had on Requip (I have been using it for about 3 years together with Tramadol).

I believe that I have read of 'coincidence' of ADHD and Ekd/rls. Whether one begets the other and is a vicious circle is up for debate.

My understanding is that there is no link between Parkinsons and Ekd/rls and certainly hope that this is the case.

Good luck with your search for suitable studies.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

sleepdancer

Treatment for RLS/EkD

Post by sleepdancer »

For what it's worth, I've been having pretty good success at treating my nighttime symptoms in my legs by using a TENS Unit before bedtime. Have been able to go off the meds for them. I have PLMD and RLS/EkD, not sure if that would make a difference in TENS use. Now that you're having breakthrough symptoms, I do hope you find the next thing that will work for you.