Disability?

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Penguinrocks

Disability?

Post by Penguinrocks »

Is RLS considered a disability recognized by the medical field? I met a friend on WE Move and she has ET, and she is considered "temporarily disabled" . I'm just curios.
Oh and BTW-thank you all for sharing!
Beware the Penguin

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Penguin, I'm heading out the door so don't have time, but do a search on this site. It's been discussed several times.

Ann

Guest TJ

Disability

Post by Guest TJ »

Hi Penquin, I'm TJ

My husband is the one with RLS. He has been on disablity through his work since Feb 2004. We applied for SSI benifits in August and he was denied. They said he couldn't return to what he was doing but there was some other form of work he could do. We found out our mistake was we did not appeal it, so next time we try it will be like starting over. We're not sure if the doctors will send him back to work or not, we just have to wait and see. Since he applied he's found out he has Fibromyalgia which is keeping him down. He has severe pain all the time even with medication. On top of RLS he has depression, anxiety, panic attacks. I think I've listed everything. He tries to go on day by day and ignore it. He puts on a front for me anymore because he doesn't want me to know how bad he's feeling. If you look through the different sights on here you will find people who have collected disability but it has taken 3-5 years to receive. So it is possible. Tim has his family DR. a phychologist, phychiatrist, and neourologist working with him. Oh, I know what I forgot, he also has sleep apnea and has been put on a CPAP machine. We only found this out a month or so ago.

I've found this to be very helpful and the people on here are great
Take Care

TJ

ps I have never been able to stay logged in when I post so I always put
Guest TJ