Family history RLS--still figuring it out

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.
Mainiequiltersewing

Family history RLS--still figuring it out

Post by Mainiequiltersewing »

Hi all:

I have not been diagnosed with RLS but here are the reasons I think I have it:

I wear out the sheets on my side of the bed with moving my feet;
Watching a movie in the evening in the movie theatre is almost intolerable--my feet and legs will not allow me to focus on the screen;
My grandfather used to have to carry a scrap of carpet with him wherever he went so he wouldn't wear out the wall-to-wall carpet;
My daughter is the same: when she was little she used to plant her feet into my body whenever she could, her girlfriends at sleepovers complain that she shakes the bed by moving her feet.

Does this sound like RLS?
I'm fascinated to know what you all think.

SUE

Sara

Post by Sara »

Welcome, Sue--

Could be RLS, from the sound of it, and/or periodic limb movement (the in-bed thrashing about).

Your grandfather obviously felt better moving, from what you've said. How about you and your daughter... if you get up and move around, do you feel better? That's a big part of RLS. And it generally being worse in the evening/night, though many of us here do have RLS during the daytime sometimes/all the time, too.

Sure do relate to your experiences at the movies! And because my RLS is worst in my feet, I find that pushing with my feet against something helps, too!!!!!

So, hang in there!

Sara

mainequiltersewing

topaz1960

Post by mainequiltersewing »

Hi Sara:

Yes, I feel better at least, if I can move my feet--I'm doing it now. It does sometimes bother me during the day but evenings and nighttimes are worst. What can be done? Is it worth trying to ease it? I go for long periods where it's not too bothersome, but then it seems to get worse. I certainly worry about certain activities (movies, case in point). Nice to find that this is not a unique challenge.

Sue

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I agree with Sara. If it bothers you at night, makes you feel like you need to move and moving makes it go away, it's most likely RLS. Many people with RLS also have PLMD (periodic limb movement disorder). Not all do, but most. Of course many more people have PLMD without having RLS. PLMD is awful in its own way. You rarely know you have it, but can cause you to think you've slept 8 hours, while you never got any deep sleep. A sleep study is required for a doctor to diagnose it, while RLS is diagnosed without a sleep study.

Ann

Sleepyhead

Hi Sue

Post by Sleepyhead »

Hi Sue,
Sounds to me like you have found the right place to fit in. It is so comforting to know that you are not alone with this terrible disorder. I know in the scope of things like cancer or any life threatening disease, RLS doesn't seem so bad, but if you consider how much the sleep deprivation affects us and our family's, work, recreation and in general, all areas of our lives, it is a really big deal. When I was in college or attending any kind of lecture, I tried to speak with the teacher/speaker in advance to let them know I had RLS and would probably be getting up and moving to the back of the room and rocking or swaying back & forth. I figured it was more considerate to let them know it was not due to the subject matter and that I was not trying to interrupt the lecture. At a movie theatre I always sit on the isle and my family knows that if I give them the signal, they will find me standing in the back of the theatre. I think that by having some plans in advance, it make me feel I have more control over this uncontrolable disorder.
Do seek a medical opinion so that you can begin your odyssey of possible drug treatments. There are many suggestions about how to find a doctor,questions to ask and drugs to suggest on this website. Make sure you explore all of the information open to you. Best luck to you and at least you know you have lot's of company here.
Sleepyhead

Sara

Post by Sara »

Hey, Sleepyhead--

What wisdom! I like the strategy of telling your profs/family/etc so that you aren't spending all your time trying to "behave normallly". It's a small common sense thing, perhaps, but what a nice way to take charge and avoid some of the attitudes and behaviors that only make us feel uncomfortable, guilty and ashamed!!!

I know that I have felt a great relief lately when I don't try to pretend like I don't feel my RLS, and just SAY to my husband or kids, "I'm doing this [or not doing that] because my RLS is killing me tonight!" :D

Sara