Itching... Penguin and others.... ???

Whether new to RLS or new to the site, we welcome you and invite you to share your history and experiences with RLS/WED, introduce yourself, and ask questions. Successful treatment starts with a solid understanding of this disease.

Do you itch?

Yes, I itch all the time (and it's driving me crazy)
43%
Yes, I itch nightly (or the same time each day)
No votes
Yes, I itch nightly/daily, but I'm a peri-menopausal/menopausal woman so who knows what causes it!
14%
Yes, I have itching that correlates to my RLS symptoms
14%
Sure, I itch occasionally, but not regularly or in a pattern
14%
Nope, I don't itch much at all
14%

Total votes: 7

Sara

Itching... Penguin and others.... ???

Post by Sara »

Our new Miss Penguin mentioned this morning about itching, and it caught my attention.

I have had strange NIGHTLY itching for quite some time now which seems to have no correlation to the "normal" considerations like bathing, laundry detergent, diet, etc. Haven't thought to pay attention for any correlation to RLS symptoms... but since most of the time my RLS is nightly, too, who can tell if that's coincidence or correlation? :roll: :wink:

Anyway, I figured it couldn't HURT to put up a poll and see who "bites" (especially since lots of people seem to read the polls even if they don't participate, and quite a few people sometimes answer the poll question even if they won't write an actual reply.)

Excuse the silliness of my poll options... just trying to cover as many bases as possible. :D

Sara :D

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Sara, I'm your first difficult poll answerer :lol: . I have itching that falls into two categories:

Every night if I don't put on lotion before I get into bed, I start to itch and the itching sets off RLS. This was more prominent when I had mild RLS. I've been putting lotion on just as I get into bed for 15 years.

Second itching is random. It comes and usually lasts for several days. While I have it, I itch ALL over and ALL day. Sometimes it evens feels like there are creepie crawlies on my scalp. It is oh-so annoying.

I'm not yet awake, but I think sometime in the past there was another discussion about itching. . . must be a thing.

Ann

Sara

Post by Sara »

Did anyone ELSE get itchy just READING this thread? I did ! :lol:

Hi, Ann--

I'm with you... I remember this being discussed before, and I think it caught my eye a bit then... but Penguin's description (hi, honey!) of the "where" of hers was eerily familiar. Besides, I think it takes a few times for things to penetrate my brain and really get "on my radar". :lol:

Obviously a poll is only a starting place for discussion, and my HOPE was that folks would chime in with specifics.

As you might have guessed, I'm the other vote so far and I put my own answer under the "itch nightly but might be related to peri-menopause"-- because I think that that MIGHT have something to do with my itching, based on the people I know who have "random" itching like we're discussing.

Counterpoint to that theory, however, is the fact that my husband has recently complained about nighttime itching, with lead me to wonder about our sheets, for example... but he itches at night when he sleeps at work, too.... and I seem to itch equally on fresh or old sheets.... and I still think that my hubby actually has a mild RLS with a moderate PLMD, so maybe we're both itching for the same reason, but it's not the "obvious" environmental one?

Who knows! Just wanted to open the dialogue a little, because Penguin's comment could easily have fallen through the cracks over in that other thread. And I DO remember others talking generally about this. Maybe we can pin down some specifics.

Take care, Ann--
Sara :D

becat

Awesome Poll Sara

Post by becat »

Hi Sara, Ann, and Penguin,
I voted itching corrrlation with RLS. But I'm like Ann, I have radom sets of days that the itching is the worst part or covers different areas.
My primary itching is legs, lower back, and arms.
This happens every 24/7 to some degree.
Then there are these radom sets of days that the itching is wild.
My top, crown, and back of my scalp feels like I have fleas. Possible I suppose but not likely. LOL I have itched so badly that I have left wounds. Yes, I draw blood. Before I get to that point I learned, FOR ME, that pouring rubbing alcohol on my scalp helps. The burn is a better sensation by far. Then there is the left ear. It's like something is on constant tickle mode. It's not amusing at all. The ear doesn't always respond to alcohol.
During these sets I find that everything itches. Not in nipples but a lower section, for me. UUUUUUfffffffaaaa, Thankfully that hasn't happened in a very long time right now. No clear medical problem, but a family pattern with the more severe of the woman. Strange, but true.
The other thing I'd like to mention here is my Mom. Now, she doesn't admit to having RLS......hmmmmm BUt kicks like a mule in bed, never can sit still, *because she feels better moving*, had growing pains as a kid....blah blah blah.....before I was born she was hospitalized no less than 3 times for IV cortisone, antibotic medications and liquids by IV.
At night while she slept her arms would itch. She would wake up and notice that she had shreded them during the night. She lost so much skin that they would force her into the hospital to save her from infection, while she grew new skin. When talking to her her said they just felt like they had bugs on them. Stress was at an all time high in my family before I was born. I can imagen that this brought RLS out in a horrible way for her.
I know that somethings my itching can be reaction to medications with Tylenol, sugar, or other things I eat. But it is certainly a moving normal part of my RLS. This week it was my feet. Who knows where's it's vacationing in me next?
Love and hugs to all. Love it Sara.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I have the itchies also but mine is related to stress. It is almost always on some part of my torso (moves around from place to place) and I can always take it back to a stressful day or week. So I can't say mine is RLS related.

Sara

Post by Sara »

Hi, Ruby--

Glad you chimed in. If you can correlate yours to stress, that's good to know.

I'm still trying to correlate mine to something. Haven't figured it out yet. I'm not sure I think MINE is RLS-related, either... but interesting to get folks thinking, so we can get more information together on the possible causes.

Hope all's well with you, honey. :D

Sara

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Last night was UNREAL with the itching! suppose i'll get told to take Benedryl for that. I know, DON'T DO IT! :-)
love ya all
Beware the Penguin